BDA-3 DAC

nc42acc

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #480 on: 12 Jun 2016, 03:15 pm »
James your the best. Sent you an email.

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #481 on: 14 Jun 2016, 02:07 pm »
I just picked up my BDA-3 from Audio Eden, they were FANTASTIC BTW.I'm having trouble installing the USB driver on my laptop, which I use to control the BDP-2 function, I can download the ZIP file, , I go to the download directory and double click, it starts to extract, but the remainder of the install does NOT occur. I tried my another PC at home, and it loads and installs no problem.Both are running Win 10, any ideas????

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #482 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:03 pm »
I just picked up my BDA-3 from Audio Eden, they were FANTASTIC BTW.I'm having trouble installing the USB driver on my laptop, which I use to control the BDP-2 function, I can download the ZIP file, , I go to the download directory and double click, it starts to extract, but the remainder of the install does NOT occur. I tried my another PC at home, and it loads and installs no problem.Both are running Win 10, any ideas????
It shouldn't be a zip file. Here's the direct link to the driver from our website. Give it a shot and let me know what happens. http://bryston.com/drivers/BRYSTON_USB_DriverSetup_v3.23.0.exe

nc42acc

« Reply #483 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:25 pm »
Hoping to have my BDA-3 this week. Thanks James for all your help!!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #484 on: 16 Jun 2016, 11:33 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: BDA-3 DAC/BDP-2 Review – Coming Soon

Hi James:

I hope all is well.

Just a preliminary update - I am about half way through my BDP-2/BDA-3 review. I will have a draft for you in about 3 weeks.

I am hard pressed to name a digital front end that can compete.

As a matter of fact, I can't name a better combo at 10 times the price!

Andre Marc

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #485 on: 16 Jun 2016, 11:18 pm »
the driver package downloads,extracts when the .exe is doulble clicked, tries to install, but does not bring up the install screens as described in the manual.

nc42acc

« Reply #486 on: 17 Jun 2016, 01:00 am »
Looking like maybe next week for the BDA-3 ETA.

milpai

• My Dedicated Audio Room
« Reply #487 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:24 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #488 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:27 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #489 on: 21 Jun 2016, 11:22 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: BDA-3 DAC Review From Poland

Just received this terrific review from High Fidelity Magazine in Poland.

Here is the link to the full review - http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-2774&lang=   You can use a Polish to English translation program to read the complete review.

Favourite Quote:

The Canadian DAC offers great sound.

The sound is musical, a bit on the warm side of force, straight and spatial, and it definitely engages the listener. BDA-3 possesses a well-defined and controllable bass, which can go really low. Its top (high-pitched sound) is very vibrant and full of air. It has very long resounds and gives a natural color to acoustic instruments and vocals.

Although this device is not intrusively analytical, it differentiates recordings well and offers a good insight to them. You can't get bored with it. It gives a lot of fun with listening to the music as it provides as much emotions as allowed by the recording. This device is also not brutal with underlining all the weaknesses of a recording – the attention of the listener is focused on the music and emotions, while the technical mistakes of the producers can be felt only somewhere in the background, with no disruption to the reception of good music, which after all is not always perfectly recorded.

I think that BDA-3 is one of the best options on the market when it comes to sound and number of digital inputs. Moreover, it is a must for owners and collectors of concerts on BD records, who will benefit a lot from "filtering" sound by the Canadian DAC through the HDMI cable.

It is a terrific piece of gear!

audioMirror

« Reply #490 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:57 pm »
I've had my BDP-2/BDA-3 combo for about a week now.  I previously owned the BDP-1/BDA-1 stack which I also enjoyed.

This is a great combination!  I can't directly compare with the old gear, but I seem to be enjoying the music more.

I spent the last two nights comparing the AES/EBU and USB inputs on various types of music and resolution.  I now have both programmed as soft-keys on my remote so that I can choose which is best for a particular track.

I find that the AES/EBU input is superior on 16bit/44.1kHz music.  They both have their strengths.  The USB is a bit muddier in terms of sounstage and slam, but has an ease of presentation that is useful on less-than-ideal recordings.  The AES/EBU is laser-clear, and is more exciting, but I sometimes wish for more ease on average-quality recordings.  Either input, when I'm not bouncing between them, allows me to simply enjoy the music, but I lean towards the AES/EBU.

On 24bit/96kHz PCM data, the inputs are very similar, and they both shine!  The USB no longer has a muddy aspect, and instead just seems to have ease and coherence to the soundstage.  This is a big improvement over 16/44.1 .  The AES/EBU has a character very similar to 16/44.1, but just better.  The two inputs are difficult to tell apart on high-res data, and I enjoy both of them.  On orchestral work, I tended to prefer the USB for what I can only describe as a slightly more coherent picture of the sound.  But, on solo voice, I tended to like the slight increase in immediacy that the AES/EBU provides.  I am very happy that I have the option to choose based on source material.

I am enjoying all my music more now, which is what it's all about.

Gear: Bryston BDP-2, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB, DH Labs AES/EBU, Bryston BDA-1, Harmonic Tech Magic interconnects, Placette Passive Preamp, Linar Audio 250i amplifier, Revel Ultima Studio speakers.

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #491 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:14 pm »
Looking like maybe next week for the BDA-3 ETA.

still can't install the drivers for the BDA-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #492 on: 21 Jun 2016, 09:46 pm »

still can't install the drivers for the BDA-3

Please email Gary -gdayton@bryston.com

james

XMAN

« Reply #493 on: 24 Jun 2016, 03:40 am »
I'm getting a pop at the end of my playlist is this normal?

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #494 on: 24 Jun 2016, 06:41 pm »
Thanks James, Gary used the USB from the laptop to BDA-3 to install the drivers. Thanks for your help.

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #495 on: 25 Jun 2016, 12:05 am »
hey....same here.....loud pop when playing a dsd album.....at the volume I was at.....holy crap

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #496 on: 25 Jun 2016, 12:26 am »
hey....same here.....loud pop when playing a dsd album.....at the volume I was at.....holy crap

The pop is with the BDP?

James

GASSMAN_67

« Reply #497 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:48 am »
no. not like a damaged/skip in a bad rip sounds like....this was during a fresh dsd playback of Elton john yellow brick road. I just bought it..massive pop after track 1...and again after track 7 or 8.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #498 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:54 am »
Is there such a thing as digital static electricity?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #499 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:56 am »
no. not like a damaged/skip in a bad rip sounds like....this was during a fresh dsd playback of Elton john yellow brick road. I just bought it..massive pop after track 1...and again after track 7 or 8.

Hi

What is the source?  The BDP?

james