Minimum distance for HT3 driver integration?

brj

Minimum distance for HT3 driver integration?
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 03:51 pm »
Jim or Dennis, what is the minimum distance that one can sit from the HT3s and still have the drivers integrate completely?

Thanks!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Minimum distance for HT3 driver integration?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:28 pm »
I thought it was 8-10 feet, but let's wait for the experts to chime in.

George

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2006, 05:03 pm »

George

If it's 8-10 ft, why are you sitting 16 ft away?  :scratch:  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2006, 05:22 pm »

George

If it's 8-10 ft, why are you sitting 16 ft away?  :scratch:  :wink:

Because it sounds better!

This is of course in my room, to my ears, with my gear.

George 

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2006, 05:56 pm by zybar »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2006, 05:33 pm »
Jim or Dennis, what is the minimum distance that one can sit from the HT3s and still have the drivers integrate completely?

Well, for COMPLETE integration, you might want to try a different zip code, because I don't think I was able to achieve perfection.  But I can say that the design distance is 4 meters.  That's where the phase relationships are optimal for the 4th order acoustic slopes.  But that will probably be more apparent on paper than in actual listening sessions.  I wouldn't sit much closer than 8 feet, and moving back further than 12 feet won't hurt anything.  And, of course, room acoustics are a big factor.  So, as usual, there are no hard and fast rules. 

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2006, 05:45 pm by zybar »

Audioexcels

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2006, 02:57 am »
Room acoustics will play the biggest factor in anything.  This means positioning of speakers is extremely critical.  What I would do is start very close to the speakers (i.e. 2-4ft away).  Then carefully move back in steps until you find that sweet area that sounds best to you.  It may be at 4ft, it may be at 6ft, 8ft, 12ft, 16ft, etc.  Everyone's listening experience is different and fully depends on personal preference.  When you find the place/s you enjoy the most, then critically deal with speaker tilting (i.e. toe in/out, keep straight, etc.), and be sure they are aligned properly from left to right given most may seem to have what looks like a perfect rectangular shaped room is actually slanted and requires that the speakers be aligned so that each speaker is reaching your ear at the same time.  It may be helpful if you prefer a few different listening areas to try this aligning technique for each of these different listening areas.  It is definitely helpful to know what others experience as the optimal distance and alignment, etc. but it really has all to do with the room you have and the care you take in treating the room and "critically" aligning the speakers as any truly reference type speaker with excellent electronics will be highly sensitive to placement/alignment/etc.

Great speakers you have, by the way:)...Maybe the future will bring my Ronins together for a test against them...hmmmm:)

95bcwh

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2006, 05:01 am »
Sadly, I have to agree with you, my room is so small (10ft wide, 15ft long, 9ft high), I have tried all possible positions one can imagine, and the system sounded best to me when I'm choosing "near-field" listening, i.e. my ear is only 6.5ft away from the speakers, while the speakers are 8ft apart.

I'm redrawing the design of my new home, which I am putting aside enough land to build a 20ft wide, 30ft long, 10ft high listening room, so I can sit 4meters away from the speakers :D

Room acoustics will play the biggest factor in anything. 

DSK

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2006, 02:05 am »
I'm redrawing the design of my new home, which I am putting aside enough land to build a 20ft wide, 30ft long, 10ft high listening room, so I can sit 4meters away from the speakers :D

Whatever you do, don't use those dimensions! You don't want any of the dimensions to be a multiple of any of the others.

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2006, 02:11 am »

Whatever you do, don't use those dimensions! You don't want any of the dimensions to be a multiple of any of the others.

How about 12ft high? :green:

DSK

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2006, 02:15 am »
How about 12ft high? :green:
I don't want to sidetrack this thread from its intended purpose. Do a search in the acoustics forum and you'll find tons of stuff on golden ratios etc etc.