Craig's HT3's off to San Diego

jsalk

Craig's HT3's off to San Diego
« on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:06 am »
Craig purchased a pair of MBOW1's from us some time back and really liked what he heard.  So he took the plunge and commissioned a full-blown pair of HT3's in African bubinga.

We finished them a few days ago.  Here they are:

Here is a close-up of the front baffle:

They left for San Diego this morning.

Happy listening Craig!

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Craig's HT3's off to San Diego
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:18 am »
Great job as always Jim.

George

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2006, 05:47 am »
Jim,
  How much cost for a pair like this? PM me the price if you don't want to disclose in public.
Thanks

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2006, 06:25 am »
Jim,
  How much cost for a pair like this? PM me the price if you don't want to disclose in public.
Thanks

This is a "full-blown" pair.. must be over $7k.. :lol: :lol:

Actually the base unit ($4k) is extremely good already, if you're not too fussy. :green:

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2006, 09:23 am »
F-100 -

Jim,
Thanks

No need to hide pricing.  The HT3's are on par performance-wise with speakers selling at retail for $15 - $20K.  In fact, many owners feel the HT3's exceed the performance of speakers in this price range.

The current pricing for the full-blown cabinet is $4995 plus the cost of wood for the front baffle which, in this case, was $240.  Craig also added the Sonicap upgrade which is $600.  The same bubinga finish can be had without the solid wood front baffle (which has no audible effect) and without the Sonicap upgrade for $4495.00.

The base price of the base HT3's in satin lacquer is $3895.00. 

The performance of all these versions is essentially identical.

Next week I will be finishing an even more ambitious pair (also in bubinga) that will be slightly over $7K at current prices - the most expensive pair I have done to date.  All the stops were pulled out for this pair.  I will post pictures as soon as they are completed.

- Jim

F-100

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:17 pm »
Thanks for the price info, Jim. Your speakers are truly awsome. They remind me of those pictures on the Playboy centerfold... Nice, sleek and sexy looking ... :thumb:

Barry, make sure your speakers are broke-in. Looking forward to audition your HT3 when I'm in Houston next week.  :D

95bcwh

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:20 pm »
Thanks for the price info, Jim. Your speakers are truly awsome. They remind me of those pictures on the Playboy centerfold... Nice, sleek and sexy looking ... :thumb:

Barry, make sure your speakers are broke-in. Looking forward to audition your HT3 when I'm in Houston next week.  :D

To be honest.. I haven't yet experience any "broke-in".. the speaker sound good out of the box, and has been as good as it is since..!!

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:43 pm »
F-100 -

Jim,
Thanks

No need to hide pricing.  The HT3's are on par performance-wise with speakers selling at retail for $15 - $20K.  In fact, many owners feel the HT3's exceed the performance of speakers in this price range.

The current pricing for the full-blown cabinet is $4995 plus the cost of wood for the front baffle which, in this case, was $240.  Craig also added the Sonicap upgrade which is $600.  The same bubinga finish can be had without the solid wood front baffle (which has no audible effect) and without the Sonicap upgrade for $4495.00.

The base price of the base HT3's in satin lacquer is $3895.00. 

The performance of all these versions is essentially identical.

Next week I will be finishing an even more ambitious pair (also in bubinga) that will be slightly over $7K at current prices - the most expensive pair I have done to date.  All the stops were pulled out for this pair.  I will post pictures as soon as they are completed.

- Jim

Jim,
Does the new HT2 give the same acoustic performance as the HT3 with the exception of deeper bass response in the HT3?
Thanks,
Bill

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2006, 12:39 pm »
Bill -

Jim,
Does the new HT2 give the same acoustic performance as the HT3 with the exception of deeper bass response in the HT3?
Thanks,
Bill

On axis, the HT3's and HT2's are voiced essentially the same.  The off-axis characteristics of an MTM (HT2) design, of course, are somewhat different than a WMT (HT3) design.  But the same midrange detail and transparent top end are evident in both speakers.  And both are extremely accurate.

The only other difference (other than the bass extension) is perhaps the level of distortion.  While the HT2's have two W18's which share the load and are lower in distortion than the HT1's, distortion in the HT3's is probably a little lower since the W18's perform no mid-bass or bass duties.  Of course, distortion levels for the W18 are extremely low to begin with (which is one reason the midrange is so clean in all of these designs).

In the end, within the frequency range of the speaker design, the basic performance of the HT2's is on par with the HT3's.   

- Jim

cdorval1

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2006, 08:21 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the pictures, Jim. It's an honor to be posted here! 

I was just reading the thread while listening to some Dinah Washington through the MBOW1s, which my wife and I both adore.  They are bookshelf speakers and we bought them originally for use in our small TV room, but we liked how they looked and sounded so much we moved them to our living room.  The room has no deliberate acoustic treatment, and I'm using a sub with the MBOW1s, crossing over at about 70 Hz, which is what Dennis Murphy recommended.  Imaging is tight and wonderful.  The best way I can find to describe the sound is natural--instruments and voices sound real.  Also there was an excellent synergy between the Van Alstine Ultimate 70 tube amp and these speakers--the soundstage was amazingly open and full with all types of music.

And the speakers are gorgeous.  To see them go to http://www.salksound.com/gallery.html and page down to the MBOW1 section.

Now they and the subwoofer will be moved to the TV room, and the HT3s will find a home in our living room.  I'll post observations after I've had a chance to listen for a while.

Many of you know from experience what a pleasure it is to do business with Jim.  His integrity and devotion to excellence in design and craftmanship are an inspiration.  Thank you, Jim!

Craig

cdorval1

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2006, 02:17 am »
The HT3s arrived last Wednesday in perfect shape--not a scratch or ding anywhere.  And they are gorgeous, in every way.

I am using them in a 2-channel audio-only setup, driven by a Fet-Valve 550 exr and T7 by Van Alstine.  I will compare with the Ultimate 70 in a week or two--it's a bit underpowered for the HT3s but I love its sound. My wife and I listen about equally to LPs (Linn Sondek) and CDs (Meridian 588), some to iTunes (so shoot us) and FM radio (Meridian 504), and occasionally to cassettes (NAD 6100).

The HT3s are extraordinary, truly.  There is a very similar musicality and naturalness to the MBOW1, which is a small, bookshelf design.  But that, and the exquisite woods and craftsmanship, is about where the comparison ends.

The accuracy, dynamic range and frequency range of the HT3s are truly amazing, and as much I have read folks in AC raving, these speakers are much better than I ever imagined.  There is nothing added or taken away--it's hokey to say, but it sounds like the performers are here with us.  As good as the MBOW1s sound, and other speakers I have owned and lived with, the HT3s seem to have no "sound" at all.  It's almost an eerie feeling.

The demo CD Jim sends along is very revealing of what the HT3s can do, as many people have said in this forum.  These speakers will rock, and will best your neighbors down any street in America.  The bass is awesome yet very tight and integrated.  Subtle dynamics and nuances are revealed.  The mids and highs are  very, very smooth and detailed.

But what really gets me is when I listen to pre-50s recordings (both LP and CD) of Billie Holiday, Jim Jackson, Furry Lewis, Jussi Bjoerling, Count Basie and many others and hear so many things I've never heard before.  The HT3s seem to bring all the music out of my records and CDs.  With well-produced and engineered recordings this is especially dramatic, of course.

I have been going through my own collection of demo cuts, including stuff like The Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" live album, "I've See All Good People" from "The Yes Album," Peter Gabriel's "So," Duke Ellington's "Blues in Orbit," Johnny Cash's "The Legend," "Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits," Pinback's "Summer in Abadon," the Chandos recording of Copland's Symphony No. 3 with the Detroit Symphony and Neeme Jaarvi, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson's Bach Cantatas and the Haydn Songs, Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride," Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Lucky Man" and more.  Every time I've tried out or bought new speakers it's been fun to hear what they can do with well-produced material like this.

But now everything sounds better.  My bet is that everything sounds like it is supposed to sound.  I'm writing this on my iBook as I listen to Beethoven's Sixth in my favorite recording of it with Bruno Walter and the Columbia Symphony Orchestra from the 1950s.  It is spectacular and rich.

Joni Mitchell's and Cat Power's and Bono's voices, Red Garland's and Glenn Gould's and Bill Evans' pianos, Paul Simon's and Andre Segovia's and Jim Salk's guitars--they all sound incredibly vivid.

Words don't suffice.  Do what you need to do to hear a pair.  Better yet, do yourself a favor.  Order a pair.

Craig

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2006, 02:48 am »
Craig-

That is the kind of reply I am "steeling" myself to take with a "grain of salt"... and if the pair that I have ordered, and is on it's way performs for me, like your pair has for you, I will be one extremely ecstatic customer!

It feels like childhood again, when school is out for "winter break" and it is still a few days before Christmas, and you think you know it will be a great gift...  I am just hopeful they make it unscathed through delivery and can give an honest opinion a few days after initial setup as well...

Congrats on pulling the trigger, and the reward of satisfication.  There are so many times in this hobby where the "hype" is overblown.  From everyone whom has heard these, this is definately not the case.  I am looking forward to their arrival as well!   :)

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2006, 11:05 pm »
Craig -

Thanks for your review.  I'm very glad you are enjoying your HT3's (and MBOW1's).

- Jim

cdorval1

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2006, 11:49 pm »
Hooked up the tube Ultimate 70 (30 watts a channel or so) for a while and, as predicted, it sounded quite good, even when played fairly loud.  This amp has to be one of the best values out there, and you get the retro visual kick as well.

I have to say that I prefer the 550 with the HT3s.  Jim hints that they really need the power, and the 550 has oodles.  The dynamics and realism are just stunning.  I sit and listen and think, "this must be what home audio is all about."  I look forward to listening to each CD or LP I play, including some I haven't heard for a long, long time.  Some favorites include the Rolling Stones' "Aftermath" LP, Beatles' Sgt. Pepper original LP (non-digitally-remastered), Radiohead's "OK Computer," David Gray's "Babylon," and the spectacularly performed and recorded Rene Jacobs "Marriage of Figaro" from 2004.  I could go on and on and on--I'm having a blast listening and uncovering buried treasures.

Enjoy the day.  And thanks again, Jim and Dennis--and Frank.

Craig

texas steve

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:43 pm »
Hooked up the tube Ultimate 70 (30 watts a channel or so) for a while and, as predicted, it sounded quite good, even when played fairly loud.  This amp has to be one of the best values out there, and you get the retro visual kick as well.

I have to say that I prefer the 550 with the HT3s.  Jim hints that they really need the power, and the 550 has oodles.  The dynamics and realism are just stunning.  I sit and listen and think, "this must be what home audio is all about."  I look forward to listening to each CD or LP I play, including some I haven't heard for a long, long time.  Some favorites include the Rolling Stones' "Aftermath" LP, Beatles' Sgt. Pepper original LP (non-digitally-remastered), Radiohead's "OK Computer," David Gray's "Babylon," and the spectacularly performed and recorded Rene Jacobs "Marriage of Figaro" from 2004.  I could go on and on and on--I'm having a blast listening and uncovering buried treasures.

Enjoy the day.  And thanks again, Jim and Dennis--and Frank.

Craig

"550" by who? 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2006, 12:52 pm »
I believe he is referring to the AVA Ultra 550 hybrid amp:

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/fetvalve_550ex.htm

George

cdorval1

« Reply #16 on: 4 Sep 2006, 09:15 pm »
Sorry, Texas Steve.  Should've been more specific.  Thanks, George.  That's the one.  Actually it's one upgrade back--the Van Alstine 550exr.