Monitor style speaker recommendations for IDA8

Sandals123

Monitor style speaker recommendations for IDA8
« on: 7 Sep 2016, 02:52 am »
Hello all, I have just ordered a new IDA 8 based upon the glowing reviews and comments on this and other forums.

Any suggestions on a monitor style speaker under $1000 to match with this amp? I listen mostly to vocal jazz and my room is 14*14'. Any suggestions welcomed.

JackD

Re: Monitor style speaker recommendations for IDA8
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:22 am »
Something neutral or to the forward side.  Try Focal, the Golden Ear Aon series as the warmth of the IDA-8 can be to much of a good thing with speakers on the Sonus Faber voiced side of things. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:28 am »
Hi, sandals.

I've tried several monitors with my IDA-8 ranging from 83.5dB to 89dB sensitivity. I recommend getting higher sensitivity speakers of 87 or 88dB or higher.

Are you willing to consider kit speakers or used speakers?

Michael
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2016, 07:15 am by mresseguie »

Sandals123

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2016, 05:27 am »
I would look at used for sure! I might do a kit but it would have to be a simple kit... I am not very skilled at this stuff.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2016, 06:56 am »
My other brand, Celsus Sound, is releasing a passive speaker ($499) that we think is the best bookshelf speakers under $1K. Production shipping around 1st week of October in the USA.

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2016, 07:55 am »
Jason,

I'd be interested in auditioning them while I'm in Taiwan this winter (if they're available there).

Sandals,

There's a Jeff Bagby designed kit speaker called Mandolin that sells for $375. Audio Circle member "pecker" (real name is John) who has been building reasonably priced speaker cabinets for years. My Adelphos cabinets were built and veneered by him. I'll wager the Mandolin kit plus cabinets will run you under $800 for standard veneer.

You will need a soldering gun and needle nose pliers.

It's just one idea. Good luck and check the trading post ads for awesome deals.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2016, 11:06 am »
Am not exactly sure what is meant by "monitor-style", as this can mean many things from physically small to painstakingly accurate. Efficiency and sensitivity are another matter entirely.

I have responded in a number of other threads with the same response to such a query:  ELAC DEBUT B6.   For the price, performance and money, one would be hard pressed to find a speaker which does more for less. At just under $300.00 (not incl tax and/or shipping) these could be the perfect match for the IDA8.

Unless you are willing to shell out a lot more money, or have some visual aesthetic in mind, I don't know of any other pair of speakers bought NEW which would seal the deal for you. You can comfortably grow with these speakers for some time to come as you learn about and audition "non monitor style" speakers down the road.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2016, 12:14 pm »
I will assume (oh boy) that the intent is for standmount speakers.

I imagine that any of the following found used would work well:

Usher S520
Focal - any - I own Electra 906's and they run very well with either my Yamaha A-S500 or Monarchy SM70 Pro
Paradigm Studio Reference 20's - I owned a set of the V2
Totem Sttaf - OK i am cheating here as they are floorstanders but they technically don't take up any more room in your room!

Sandals123

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2016, 06:10 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will investigate them all. I am currently using Omega Super 6 Alnico Monitors and they are fantastic but I want something more dynamic.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2016, 09:12 pm »
Do you have size restrictions on the monitors? will they be on a desk or stand? how far will they be from the walls? Will they be used standalone or with a sub?

Sandals123

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2016, 09:43 pm »
I don't have any real size restrictions. I lean toward stand mounts for some reason I made up in my head about imaging... Lol.

My room is 14 *14, carpet floors, 8' ceiling, I listen at moderate volume levels...

Sandals123

« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2016, 09:45 pm »
They will be on stands, between 3" and 3' from rear wall. I do not have a sub currently, but I could add to fill out the bottom end.

mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2016, 11:59 pm »
+1 on the Paradigm Studio monitors. I owned these for a while but eventually decided they were brighter than I prefer.

MarkR7

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2016, 12:34 am »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will investigate them all. I am currently using Omega Super 6 Alnico Monitors and they are fantastic but I want something more dynamic.

IMHO, I seriously doubt you will be able to better the Omega Alnicos by going to a lower price point.  As you say, the Omegas are fantastic.  I've been running my pair for over a year.  If you want more dynamic and faster speakers, with super imaging, look at Omega's Super 3i with the RS5 drivers.  I have these as well, and they are different from the Alnicos, but both are fantastic speakers!

Sandals123

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2016, 12:41 am »
You are correct, it will be hard to "better" the Super 6... But it is not about better, just different.

MarkR7

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2016, 12:43 am »
You are correct, it will be hard to "better" the Super 6... But it is not about better, just different.

....and thus my recommendation for the Omega Super 3is....  :thumb:

Sandals123

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:23 am »
Has anyone heard the Aurelia Magnetas? Not much information in North America but good reviews in Europe.

Sandals123

« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:05 am »
My other brand, Celsus Sound, is releasing a passive speaker ($499) that we think is the best bookshelf speakers under $1K. Production shipping around 1st week of October in the USA.

Do you have any more information on the new speakers that you mentioned?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:53 am »
I'm guessing maybe it's a passive version of the SP One?... http://www.celsus-sound.com/index.php/products/speakers/active-speakers/sp-one

triumph

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:34 pm »
Can  you glue a few pieces of wood together?

If yes, than for jazzy voice and deep bass to accompany, I have found that a DIY design can produce amazing results.
I had the Usher s520, they were nice, but this trumps them.

It's quite an easy build.  It's basically a rectangle box, with an opening at the bottom.  Using a 3" or 4" fullrange driver (I'm addicted to fullrange), you can go as low as 55Hz clean bass.  It's quite amazing to hear the extension and agility coming out of this simple design.
There is the original standing version, and the folded version that can be on a desk, or hung on a wall.

Lots to read at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/88787-tabaq-tl-tang-band.html