WOW! NUPRIME introduces the IDA-16 offering 384K & DSD decoding

bh46118

Sounds good, you will love listening to the IDA-16.

From what I've been reading, it looks like MQA will be decoded from software, or apps, so no need to buy a separate DAC. Just bought an IDA-16 based on this info.

firedog

Sorry, if this has been discussed before:  is there any sound quality penalty for buying this as opposed to the H10 and ST10 separates (I know this has more power than the ST10); or is there a sonic benefit (not relating to the power difference, which is probably not relavent for me) to the one box approach?

JackD

I would by seperates, which is what I am doing.  There are voicing differences to the to amps from what I am told, plus not married to an entire solution if you change your mind at a later date.  See the last post in the IDA-8 thread.

rustydoglim

The following brief guide might help you decide between ST-10, IDA-8 and IDA-16
Sound characteristic - ST-10 has the perfect balanced for people who is looking for some texture, warmth and yet detail and resolution in an amp. It also has gripping control and bass. ST-10 is the best you can get before moving upward to Reference 20.
IDA-16 is very well balanced and detailed. For entry to mid level high-end audio, IDA-16 is a good place to start and you won't easily run out of power.  It has everything you need, including a DAC with enough resolution and inputs that will not need any upgrade for  the foreseeable future.
IDA-8 sound characteristic is between ST-10 and IDA-16. If you have high efficiency speaker, or bookshelf speaker in a small listening room, this is the best integrated amp on the market. I don't think anything below $2K would be able to compete with IDA-8. At $995 that also include bluetooth aptX and DAC, it is as future proof as you can get.

dr.sah

is ST-10 better than REF 9V3SE, with DAC-10H?

rustydoglim

I won't say ST-10 is better than 9V3SE. Overall, 9V3SE is still better than ST-10.
The 9V3SE is slightly better in the bass, resolution and high freq. ST-10 has more texture and warmth (technically it has more even harmonics).

Jason

alligatorman

Sounds good, you will love listening to the IDA-16.

You are absolutely correct! Even streaming 48khz tidal from my tablet through my tv to the amp was an exceptional experience. The resolution is phenomenal. I could hear Mark Knopflers finger nails slide over the strings of his guitar. The sensitivity and quietness provides a depth of the recordings so realistic it is shocking (at least for a noob like me). Im truly in awe of this amazing piece of technology!

bh46118

:thumb: Glad you like it.

maty

2015 Product of the Year Awards: Integrated Amplifiers

-> http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2015-product-of-the-year-awards-integrated-amplifiers/

Affordable

NuPrime IDA-16 $2600

The IDA-16 is an excellent example of the “new” integrated amplifier, with both digital and analog inputs, a 200Wpc Class D amplifier, and a DAC capable of playing music files ranging up to 384/24 for PCM and DSD256—which includes all currently available albums— in a slim, stylish package. With five digital inputs and one analog input, and an analog output to drive subwoofers, the IDA-16 is well suited for today’s audio systems. Although listenable right out of the box, the IDA-16 becomes more dynamic and delicate with 150-200 hours’ break-in. Highs are smooth, detailed, and very extended, though not at all peaky. Bass is also extended, with tons of impact. The midrange lacks just a smidgen of the detail present in other, more expensive amplifiers. The soundstage is quite wide, with instruments realistically distributed between the speakers. Voices are unstrained and pure-sounding, indicating low distortion. At $2600, the IDA-16 offers considerable value for the money.

rustydoglim

I just found out a "crazy" info about the IDA-16 today. Engineer said, oh, by the way, it can be bridged with just one change into a 500W mono amp. I am really not sure about offering another 500W mono amp to pair with IDA-16. Come on, what's the point for that much power  :duh:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Come on, what's the point for that much power  :duh:

Subwoofers.

Or put two of them into a 19" rack mountable case and sell it to the pro market.

bh46118

Does it seem on the surface absurd to partner a $449 pair of speakers with a $2600 IDA-16, probably yes, the reality is that my PSB Images paired with the 16 produces a very satisfying musical experience. My opinion is that if you have a quality budget speaker, it still makes sense to go ahead and purchase the higher end NuPrime gear. That being said, I'm sure John Casler will be able to help me in the future with a speaker purchase that reveals more of what the amp can do.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2016, 12:31 am by bh46118 »

John Casler

Does it seem on the surface absurd to partner a $449 pair of speakers with a $2600 IDA-16, probably yes, the reality is that my PSB Images paired with the 16 produces a very satisfying musical experience. My opinion is that if you have a quality budget speaker, it still makes sense to go ahead and purchase the higher end NuPrime gear. That being said, I'm sure John Casler will be able to help me in the future with a speaker purchase that show more of what the amp can do.

Hi Bruce,

You are correct, that your amp to speaker ratio might be a bit skewed, BUT. . . just like a good woman, NuPRIME can make speakers of any reasonable quality sound as wonderful as they have the potential to sound.

You are also correct that I "do" have some speakers for you to upgrade to, and if you can make it to THE SHOW next month, you can hear them.

bh46118

If it were in Indianapolis I would be there.  :D

Hangaround

Not Jason, but the answer is YES, you can use the on-board amps and the RCA outs simultaneously for Bi-Amping.

Hi John/Jason, I have bi-amp my IDA16 with STA9 to my Von Schweikert VR4jr biwireable speakers. The SQ is astonishing when using the STA9 to push the HF and IDA16 to push the LF of the speakers. However, If I connect the IDA16 to the HF of the speakers, no sound is coming out from the tweeter and I only hear the bass driven by the STA9. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2016, 09:30 am by Hangaround »

rustydoglim

The two amps were designed differently. It is possible that the specific tweeter created problem for IDA-16. We don't know the complex interactions that might have occured at HF beyond 25K.

John Casler

Hi John/Jason, I have bi-amp my IDA16 with STA9 to my Von Schweikert VR4jr biwireable speakers. The SQ is astonishing when using the STA9 to push the HF and IDA16 to push the LF of the speakers. However, If I connect the IDA16 to the HF of the speakers, no sound is coming out from the tweeter and I only hear the bass driven by the STA9. Is this normal?

As Rustydoglim mentioned occasionally, there is a speaker load that the IDA-16 doesn't like.

However, the first combo, of the STA-9 on the HF, and the IDA-16 on the bass would seem to be the better combo sonically.

I have only encountered a similar issue one time, and the problem was solved going "full range" with the IDA-16 in that case.

You your case, I think you already may have the "ideal" combination.  :thumb: