CD Tour... Officially renamed: Tour de Floyd 2013 : Officially over, darn it.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
The CD's are on their way to Control.  The USPS tracking # - 9405 5036 9930 0272 4478 54

Here is a picture of the CD's as they left my house:

As you can see I cut a small triangular piece of the wrapper out so I could mark them.  I will ask John to post a picture of them so that everyone can see that they arrive in the same condition.  He will then mark each CD as they come from the jackets with the corresponding identifier and then.......

Well, we shall all know in a few weeks.

The rules are to keep the CD's only as long as it takes to make your decisions.  At that point you will PM John and I with your determinations.  YOU ARE NOT TO POST YOUR FINDINGS!!! This is imperative!  At that time I will email you the shipping label for the next victi.... participant and we'll do it all again.

PLEASE follow the rules for confidentiality of your findings until this is all over.  It is the ONLY way that the results can have any merit.  It is hard enough with this small sample and we need to keep all of this on the straight up.

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2013, 03:36 am by dBe »

medium jim

Re: CD Tour...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:23 pm »
Understood, and I totally agree!

Jim

groovybassist

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:26 pm »
So I'm guessing the object is to see if folks can pick out the cryo'd CD, correct?  How can one get on this tour?  Sounds like fun.

-Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:38 pm »
So I'm guessing the object is to see if folks can pick out the cryo'd CD, correct?  How can one get on this tour?  Sounds like fun.

-Mike
No, the idea is to see if any of the CD's sound better or just different from each other.  There could be one cryoed CD, there could be two cryoed CD's or I could have pulled a fast one and done none or all of them.  I get pretty sneaky when setting up a blind test and will do everything that I can to get some valid data from a limited sample.

Consider yourself in.  PM me with you email address and your vital statistics for shipping.

Thanks and welcome aboard.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2013, 09:55 pm »
I think it is time to introduce "Control".  He is John Schneider - SoCalWJS - a Californian that enjoys listening to music with his wife.  I saw this at RMAF.  They both got into what was going on in our room.

John is a straight shooter (in all ways) and understands the concept of "chain of custody" in dealing with the tour that is going on.  There is no collusion between us.  I have not told him what is what with the CD's so everyone is starting off on the same footing.

When you are done with your turn in the listening test, PM John and I with your observations.  That way there is a three way accountability going on and we all keep each other honest.

My suggestion to doing the listening is to play the first track on each of the CD's rapidly in order: A - B - X.  Note your findings immediately after doing this.  Then you can listen to each disc as you will.  Take your time, take notes, but please take no longer than three days to do this after receiving the discs.  It should not take long to make a determination.  Getting this done quickly is the best way to do the test so we can get to some determinations as quickly as possible.  Eyes are on us and they are curious to know what we all hear.  I will be the last guy to hear this test so please play well and play quickly!   :thumb:

I will post the order of players in a day or so.  Please let me know if I leave anyone out.

Dave

fridays

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm »
Dave
Would ripping the cd's be allowed to see if there is a difference

Thanks
Bruce

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2013, 01:52 am »
Dave
Would ripping the cd's be allowed to see if there is a difference

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce, I really don't have a clue.  It will introduce an additional variable into the data.  I don't really see where this will be a test killer.  At this point in time we are all on great adventure, so why not give it a try.  If it is a null result, then it should be discarded due to the added variable, but a correct identifier would be useful data IF it can be duplicated by another tester.  I had an email from a player that asked the same thing, so,why not give it a 'rip'... Bwaha!

:lol:

Dave

fridays

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2013, 03:06 am »
Sounds good pm sent
Bruce

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:18 am »
Got a package in the mail today....

Everything arrived in good shape and in the condition that Dave described - only thing that I could see different from factory packaging was the triangle he cut through the plastic wrap so he could label each CD container. I took numerous photos (with 2 different cameras  :oops:) and chose this one to show the condition - I can post others if needed.

I then carefully removed the wrapper from the first one, removed the CD and marked the top label with a sharpie.

I did this one at a time with my wife watching so there is ZERO chance of any mixup.

I will start listening this evening (since the BCS is turning into a rout  :cry:). I will probably listen to tracks 3, 8, and 11 as they are my favorites and I am very familiar with them.

Here goes ........... should be fun  :dance:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2013, 09:53 pm »
I'm hearing crickets......

Rclark, wherefore arts thou?

<><

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2013, 09:59 pm »
Ah yes, I'm sorry!

I saw your Gmail and got the package from the mail two days ago. My reply didn't send, looks like. Anyway, yes, I've given all three disks a cursory spin, and my plan was to do the critical listening tommorrow.

Going to do a track by track comparison of maybe 4 songs.

Meanwhile, great album! Glad I picked it. Think it might be the best Floyd I've heard. Anyway, Complying with the rules. All for now.

Thanks again Dave!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm »
Ah yes, I'm sorry!

I saw your Gmail and got the package from the mail two days ago. My reply didn't send, looks like. Anyway, yes, I've given all three disks a cursory spin, and my plan was to do the critical listening tommorrow.

Going to do a track by track comparison of maybe 4 songs.

Meanwhile, great album! Glad I picked it. Think it might be the best Floyd I've heard. Anyway, Complying with the rules. All for now.

Thanks again Dave!
Cool.........  8)

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:55 pm »
Very cool  :thumb:

I actually fell asleep to one of them last night. Looking forward to sitting down nice and alert and seeing what we hear.

dflee

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:34 am »
Looking forward to the tour. Can't decide if I'm a Guinni pig or a lab rat. Guess I could be a test cryo dummy.

Don

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2013, 08:17 pm »
OK here is the list so far in order:

Control - SoCalWJS - DONE
Rclark                    - DONE
dflee                      - DONE
Carusoracer            - DONE
rollo                       - DONE along with Pete
kevin360                - DONE
JerryM                    - DONE
SteveFord               - DONE
mikeeastman          - DONE
Medium Jim            - DONE
Blakep                    - DONE
jn316                     - DONE
jriggy                     -
Fridays                   -
CharlesXavier          -
Groovybassist          -
underdawg              -
mjock3                   -
Maritan                   -
srclose                    -

Have I left anyone out?  Keep me up to date if you will.  I have a lot of things on my plate right now.

Like I said to Control - We be havin' fun now!

Dave

Edited for actual order: 4/1/2013  Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2013, 12:55 am by dBe »

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:14 am »
OK here is the list so far in order:
Control - SoCalWJS
Rclark
dflee
Carusoracer
rollo
kevin360
SteveFord
mikeeastman
Medium Jim
Blakep
jriggy
JerryM
CharlesXavier
Groovybassist

Have I left anyone out?  I still need shipping info from SteveFord and Blakep.  You guys may have sent it and I just missed it during the crudstorm.

Like I said to Control - We be havin' fun now!

Dave

Missed me, Dude!... Triode Pete... if OK, can I get after rollo (since it will be a hand-off, literally)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:29 am »
Missed me Fridays aka Bruce Iowa
PM me with your info.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2013, 04:10 pm by dBe »

dflee

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2013, 09:29 pm »
Exxxcelent!!!

Don

mjock3

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2013, 12:54 am »
Any chance of getting in on this tour?  :D

Mark

medium jim

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2013, 12:56 am »
Has Rclark passed them on to the next Guinea Pig?

Jim