Gas ranges?

Kenneth Patchen

• Facilitator
  • Just like that bluebird
Gas ranges?
« on: 22 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm »

Has anyone recently purchased a gas range ? We were looking at an LG 3590 until I read the comically bad ratings from Amazon users (a reviewer gave the stove the much coveted this-will-blow-your-house-up award ).

So, any recommendations?

Cheers,
KP

prvngrnd

Re: Gas ranges?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2014, 01:48 am »
Just purchased this about a month ago:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung-30-in-5-8-cu-ft-Gas-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Oven-and-5-Burner-Cooktop-with-Griddle-in-Stainless-Steel-NX58F5500SS/204398559

So far I am really impressed. I have never cooked on or baked with a gas appliance before but the gas eyes cook quickly and evenly and the oven preheats almost instantly. The dials for turning the gas elements from low to high provide a good range of temperature control. I have not taken measurements but I'm not running a Michelin star level restaurant, either. The stove top is easy to take apart and clean. Build quality is good for the money. There a plenty of silly features like a "chicken nugget" button that I will never use but I think that comes with the territory at this price point when shopping for a modern day range.

The large gas element in the middle with the griddle plate is more useful than I ever imagined. In fact, tonight, I cooked eight slider sized hamburgers on said griddle; all at the same time and in about 10 minutes. Had I known you were going to post this I would have taken pictures - bacon and gouda sliders - yeah they were good :inlove: (bacon cooked in the oven also with better results than my old electric range). In general my wife and I are turning out better dinners than we did on our electric range and in much less time.

-Adam

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:04 am »
I'm old school and don't like the all the electronics put on ranges these days. Back in the day ranges lasted for 50-60 years, these days good luck finding a circuit board for a 5 year old range. I needed a great range because I cook every day; borrowed a microwave for 4 months during the remodel but didn't fall in love so I gave it back.

Shopping around I discovered NXR Ranges, $1999 and they are assembled in China. My first reaction was "I will never buy a Chinese stove" but after a lot of research I couldn't find a single negative review. All the major parts are sourced from commercial stove manufacturers, the stainless steel shell is Chinese. The fit and finish is pretty good but does it cook? Hell yes! Great burners, big oven, convection if you need it, infrared broiler. Highly recommended.

Two things you need to know:

3/4" gas line recommended, we're really cookin' with gas baby.
Using the oven the stove gets hot, like commercial kitchen hot so a big range hood with an outside vent is required. I have a Costco Ancona range hood ($706) that keeps the kitchen cool and quiet.

I designed the kitchen and made the white oak cabinets too, I lucked into a flitch of bookmatched white oak planks so all the door panels are a single board from the same tree.

Wayne

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:05 am »
No one ever tells you that you can spend as much on appliances as a new car...

Some day I want a serious range. I don't know if it's after using a single burner hot plate and having to cook because you can't eat a lot of foods... or if it's always been in me.

Someday, in a house I plan to stay in....

Yea, it's like $7k... Made in the USA

Bizarroterl

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:32 pm »
We're finishing a remodel and went with an induction cooktop instead of gas.    Been using it for a few months now.  Really, really happy with it. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm »
1 year later and very happy with our dual fuel stainless Kitchenaid.  Standard size 4 burner slide in unit.

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:59 pm »
1 year later and very happy with our dual fuel stainless Kitchenaid.  Standard size 4 burner slide in unit.

We have a 4 burner Kitchenaid slide in too, ours is at least 5 years old.

I think it has gas burners with an electric oven.

We're happy with it, does the job.

Ours has one "super" burner that has a little ring and a big ring.  That heats the fastest.  Good for large pots of water.
One small burner for simmering and two medium burners.

Randy

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:28 pm »
What style house do you have? A rebuilt vintage O'Keefe & Merritt can look great in a kitchen.

A friend has a red Bertazzoni range in his kitchen. Really stands out as a show piece. He seems to like it.

Also, if you live near a used equipment restaurant supply store, they tend to offer great deals on professional ranges.

Kenneth Patchen

• Facilitator
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:51 am »
Good suggestions all and I thank everyone for their suggestions. Persisting1, the house is 101 yo, bungalow/arts &crafts style so an antique stove could work. I haven't thought about an O'keefe Meritt in years but will investigate again.
Cheers,
KP

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:18 am »

Hmm, look vintage, functionality Bertazzoni.