How to Remove a Pool

WGH

How to Remove a Pool
« on: 24 Jun 2014, 05:35 pm »
I bought a house almost 2 years ago, it was a fixer upper for sure. Build in 1950, the previous owner didn't do much maintenance and I bought it as is. Since I am single without kids I did all the yard work except for running the back hoe. The house was gutted and completely restored, then I tackled the back yard...

This is what the yard looked like on move in day

After a little yard work and a lot of cactus removal

What a beauty!

Since the back hoe was available we replaced the 64 year old waterline first

Then the pool, this was more fun than working

I'm slowly working on the landscaping, new mesquite trees have been planted with berms and swales for water harvesting.

Wayne 
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2014, 08:42 pm by WGH »

mcgsxr

Re: How to Remove a Pool
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2014, 07:00 pm »
That is a great series of pics.  There are always local rules about what must be done to take out or fill in a pool.

Looks like that house has really benefited from your purchase and continued attention!

Love big tools!

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2014, 07:54 pm »
Looks like it was fun, but I would expect settling in that pool area (and probably a slowly developing low spot) for the next 5-10 years.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2014, 08:16 pm »
Lotta work Wayne.

I'm seeing mural all over that wall.  Something soothing and relaxing.  Any art schools nearby?

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2014, 08:38 pm »
Out here it's OK to push everything in the hole as long as there are no plans to build on top. When the pool was first built the inside dirt was piled around the perimeter making the pool area 18" above grade, once the dirt was pushed back in the yard ended up pretty level.

A low spot is anticipated and I will be disappointed if it doesn't develop. Rainfall in Tucson is so rare the goal is to have zero runoff when it happens. With proper grading along with basins the winter and summer monsoon rainfall will water native trees and shrubs planted in the basins making an ideal lush habitat for birds and butterflies.

I have 17 catclaw plants planted around the base of the wall, in a few years the wall will be totally green. The climbing vines are drought tolerant and love the heat. Here is an example:

Native mesquite trees are already planted in front of the wall too, they can get huge with a little water.