SalkStream Digital Music System

TJHUB

Re: SalkStream Digital Music System
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:14 pm »
Are all USB to S/PDIF converters created equal? You know, sonically. 8)

YES!  EVERYONE knows that. :roll: :wink:

martyo

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:21 pm »
That's refreshing. Usually there is something......... and NOW EVERYONE knows. :lol:

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:54 pm »
Frank Van Alstine says a Kingrex UB192 USB to SPDIF adapter works quite well.  I don't have any experience with these (since I don't need one with my set-up), but I trust Frank knows what he is talking about.

- Jim

edit:  Since this original post, we have determined that the Kingrex device is not USB class 2 audio compliant.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2011, 01:30 pm by jsalk »

ratso

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:57 pm »
i know that this is based around vortexbox, and i also know (i used to have a VB) that VB does not work with some usb to SPDIF convertors, specifically hi-face. this is VORTEXBOX i am talking about, no idea whether or not the salkstream will have these issues. i know that sonore (which is also VB based) has a list of dac's that it will work with, and that VB itself will work with most, but not all dac's. again, none of this has anything to do with jim's box. just something to keep an eye on. and that kingrex looks like a great workaround for any of these issues anyways.

http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox-player/has-any-run-attached-a-hiface-usb/
http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox-player/vortexbox-player-list-of-compatible-dacs/

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2011, 08:38 pm »
The StreamPlayer does not use vortexbox.  We haven't make a final determination on the StreamServer yet, and it may use vortexbox.

Some of the same issues may apply.  For 24/96 and under, there really aren't any problems.  But higher rez tracks we require a DAC that is USB Audio 2 compliant.  Some DAC's claiming 24/192 do not qualify.  If the DAC is not USB Audio 2 compliant, it will require a linux driver to reach those speeds.  But even these DACs will work at 24/96.

- Jim

ratso

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jul 2011, 09:06 pm »
well anyways i THOUGHT i knew that it used vortexbox  :oops:

sorry jim, pretty sure you don't want to get dragged into a question and answer fest about this device, i will wait patiently for the official release. it all sounds great though as is.

ratso

jw87c

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:12 am »
I use a Linux streamer and the Emotiva XDA-1, and they interfaced perfectly. I assume most of the USB DACs out there should be able to work. The USB DAC don't care about your OS, only the USB format, which is universal across OS if I understand correctly.

If the Salk Stream is only USB output, and Linux, then would it be true that it is only compatible with Linux compatible USB DAC's? 

Mountain-ear

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:07 am »
Does the Salk Stream support a wireless network connection?  The material on the web-site suggests a hard-wired ethernet connection.

Steve

OgOgilby

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jul 2011, 05:24 pm »

And I know one of the BDP-1 owners you spoke with.  :wink:

Guilty as charged :oops:

OgOgilby

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jul 2011, 05:46 pm »
TJHUB -

Yes, we talked to a few BDP-1 owners and they seemed to feel that the display did not add all that much and the buttons were somewhat useless.  I have a feeling those features were dictated by marketing.  Since the units would likely be used with a remote client application, it didn't seem like a good idea to add a switching device (the display) that may impact signal quality when the gains would be somewhat minimal.  We decided to keep it simple.  If it wasn't absolutely necessary, we got rid of it.

- Jim

The front panel display is not something I would want to pay extra for, but since I spoke with Jim I have found that the BDP-1 display does come in handy when I want to know the status of the “computer” - while it is booting up, upgrading the software, etc. Personally, I never use the display or the front buttons for picking out and controlling music since there are much better options for that.

I do think Jim's approach is a sensible one - it's all about the music.

TJHUB

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2011, 05:52 pm »
I use a Linux streamer and the Emotiva XDA-1, and they interfaced perfectly. I assume most of the USB DACs out there should be able to work. The USB DAC don't care about your OS, only the USB format, which is universal across OS if I understand correctly.

Sorry I missed this post until now.  While I am very unclear about all of this, as I am new to running a Linux computer for streaming, I do know that all DAC's are NOT compatible with Linux.  It would seem that USB isn't as "U" as you'd think.

I just got a little Linux box up and running Friday.  It's an Alix unit running Voyage-MPD.  I'm really liking it, but it needs some tweaking.  I've tested my Music Hall 25.2 and a friend's PS Audio DLIII, and both work fine.  I think the issue is when you try to listen to hi-rez.  I think...starting at 24/192, you need a Linux compatible DAC or it won't work.  There are MANY threads about this including the Votex Box.  I don't have any links, but I could round them up as I've been trying to figure all this out for my next DAC purchase.  I do know that the Antelope Zodiac's are compatible, so are the Wavelength's (as Jim shows in the pictures (great and VERY pricey DAC), the HRT streamers too, and some others.  I was told for a fact that the new Eastern Electric DAC I really wanted to try out is not Linux compatible and neither is the M2Tech stuff. 

If I ever truly figure all this out, I'll post something. 

ratso

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jul 2011, 04:15 pm »
i'm just hoping it works with that new schiit dac.

TJHUB

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2011, 04:30 pm »
i'm just hoping it works with that new schiit dac.

I emailed Jason Stoddard of Schiit about this.  He claims the DAC will accept " USB Audio 2.0 standard", so it should work.  But he also stated they will provide no support of Linux. 

I still need to understand the potential compatibility issue with Linux USB.   

ratso

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:24 am »
hee-larious. i emailed him the same thing and was going to tell you the same thing. he must be wondering what the hell is going on with all these emails about linux   :lol:

TJHUB

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:02 am »
hee-larious. i emailed him the same thing and was going to tell you the same thing. he must be wondering what the hell is going on with all these emails about linux   :lol:

Hopefully he gets the message.  Linux is working GREAT in audio, so get a DAC that works with it!!!

Are you going to try a Schiit when it comes out?  I am tempted to try one, but it would have to be a USB version. 

ratso

« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:45 am »
i am seriously thinking about the salk/schiit (sounds like a german scat movie) setup. i have been looking/hoping for something like this.

TJHUB

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:49 am »
i am seriously thinking about the salk/schiit (sounds like a german scat movie) setup. i have been looking/hoping for something like this.

If they are compatible, that should be a fantastic setup if the Schiit is any good. 

Nuance

« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm »
If they are compatible, that should be a fantastic setup if the Schiit is any good. 

My German is rusty (I know none), so every time I read the name of that DAC I mis-pronounce it in my head.  What a horrible name for a DAC. :D :lol:

TJHUB

« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm »
My German is rusty (I know none), so every time I read the name of that DAC I mis-pronounce it in my head.  What a horrible name for a DAC. :D :lol:

Not the name of the DAC buddy.  It's the name of the COMPANY!  The name of the DAC we're talking about is "Bifrost".