SalkStream Digital Music System

Bill@LakeGeorge

SalkStream Digital Music System
« on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:01 pm »
New website up here:

http://www.salkstream.com/index.htm

Not much info yet but it does look interesting.

jsalk

Re: SalkStream Digital Music System
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2011, 03:17 pm »
This is just a preliminary web site.  There is much more work to be done, but I'm doing it in my spare time (which is limited).  We are showing a working prototype of the StreamPlayer here at the Capital Audiofest this week-end and next week at the California Audio Show.  The "official" launch will be at Rocky Mountain Audiofest in October.  In the mean time, we will be beta testing it with a small group in order to determine what type of support structure will be required.  More later...

- Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

ratso

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:18 pm »
oooohhhhh me likey

won ton on

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2011, 05:34 pm »
is that a pic of jim salk

fsimms

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2011, 06:06 pm »

The one and only!

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2011, 06:06 pm »

uh huh, he's the short one in the photo :lol:

rahimlee54

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:04 am »
I like that Jim is able to expand his business, congrats looks great.

Isaac.

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2011, 05:21 am »
Sign me up as a beta tester!

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:34 pm »
Sign me up as a beta tester!

+1

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2011, 02:10 pm »
I would be interested as well to be a beta tester.

George

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2011, 08:16 pm »
There is a spot on  the website to register :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:26 am »
There is a spot on  the website to register :thumb:

Registered!  :thumb:

I've been on the hunt for a easy to use, incredible sounding source for streaming.  Maybe this is the answer for me.

ratso

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:34 pm »
i'm thinking the same thing. this looks absolutely like what i have been looking for for quite some time. my only caveat is that for a machine that can pass 24/192 files i am kind of suprised that it only has a usb output, as there still aren't a lot of 24/192 usb DAC's out there. i know that similar units like the sonore have a variety of optional outputs and jim has already said that this unit will be customizeable so we will see. very excited about this one though  :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:52 pm »
i'm thinking the same thing. this looks absolutely like what i have been looking for for quite some time. my only caveat is that for a machine that can pass 24/192 files i am kind of suprised that it only has a usb output, as there still aren't a lot of 24/192 usb DAC's out there. i know that similar units like the sonore have a variety of optional outputs and jim has already said that this unit will be customizeable so we will see. very excited about this one though  :thumb:

The Salk Stream should pass 24/192 files without issue.  Even higher I expect.

You bring up an interesting point.  If the Salk Stream is only USB output, and Linux, then would it be true that it is only compatible with Linux compatible USB DAC's?  If so, then one solution would be to use one of the many USB to S/PDIF converters like the Audiophilleo which is Linux compatible.  Then you could use any S/PDIF DAC.

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2011, 03:23 pm »
Just returned from the DC Audiofest and am off to the California Audio Show tomorrow.  So I don't have much time to provide detailed information now.  But it will be about another month before we ship any beta units and October before we make them available to the public. So we'll have time to answer all questions before then.

On the question of a DAC, the only issue is whether or not the DAC is USB recognized audio class 2.  It will work with ANY USB DAC at up to 24/96.  Above that, the DAC must be audio class 2 compliant.  For DACs like Ayre, Wavelength, Wyse, Antelope, etc. there are no issues up to 24/192.  The StreamPlayer does not really care what bit rate and sample speed are involved, so a simple upgrade in the future would allow resolutions as high as 48/384.

As TJHUB pointed out, you can use a USB to SPDIF converter as well and would only be limited by the capability of the DAC itself.

A question was asked as to whether or not we might be able to provide SPDIF output.  This may be possible, but we will probably not pursue this with the initial release.  This would require additional hardware which kind of flies in the face of the philosophy behind the player.  It would add complexity to the system with potential negative performance implications.

It is always easy to pile on features.  For example, we looked at an LCD readout.  But it would serve to increase the cost and since it is a switching device, it could add noise to the system.  What's more, it really doesn't add much practical value to the product.  With all the apps available to control a system like this, it really didn't seem to make much sense.

We will probably also have an Li Ion battery option with the player as well so it can perform off the grid.  Since it only draws 3 - 6 watts, it should not be an issue and we just received some Li Ion packs to evaluate.

Well, I've got to get ready for the CA show now.  More later...

- Jim

TJHUB

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply Jim. :)

Having used devices like this for a VERY long time, skip the LCD display unless you can easily read it from across the room.  Anything less is a waste.  Case in point, the Bryston BDP-1. 

Have a great show!

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:38 pm »
TJHUB -

Yes, we talked to a few BDP-1 owners and they seemed to feel that the display did not add all that much and the buttons were somewhat useless.  I have a feeling those features were dictated by marketing.  Since the units would likely be used with a remote client application, it didn't seem like a good idea to add a switching device (the display) that may impact signal quality when the gains would be somewhat minimal.  We decided to keep it simple.  If it wasn't absolutely necessary, we got rid of it.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2011, 07:51 pm by jsalk »

TJHUB

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:50 pm »
TJHUB -

Yes, we talked to a few BDP-1 owners and they seemed to feel that the display did not add all that much and the buttons were somewhat useless.  I have a feeling those features were dictated by marketing.  Since the until would likely be used with a remote client application, it didn't seem like a good idea to add a switching device (the display) that may impact signal quality when the gains would be somewhat minimal.  We decided to keep it simple.  If it wasn't absolutely necessary, we got rid of it.

- Jim

Genius!  That's the way it should be.  I use my netbook to control my Squeezeboxes exclusively.   

And I know one of the BDP-1 owners you spoke with.  :wink:

martyo

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:52 pm »
Are all USB to S/PDIF converters created equal? You know, sonically. 8)