Audioholics reviews HT2-TL

Art_Chicago

Re: Audioholics reviews HT2-TL
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm »
Great review. Although I have no doubts he is truthful, I think it would be even better if he provided the comparison results with other 4k speakers.

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:09 pm »

:scratch: You must really rate

I don't follow.

mathgeek97

« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:14 pm »
Having never heard the SongTowers, I'm suddenly feeling a lot better about spending twice as much on my HT2-TLs!  Always a good day when I can justify spending too much on my toys!

evan1

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:43 pm »
I don't follow.

I've been waiting for a invite since he got them .

OgOgilby

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
Great review. Although I have no doubts he is truthful, I think it would be even better if he provided the comparison results with other 4k speakers.

+1

JoshK

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2010, 11:02 pm »
I've been waiting for a invite since he got them .

I bought a transport off of him and went to pick it up.  He let me listen.   :wink:

evan1

« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2010, 11:04 pm »
I bought a transport off of him and went to pick it up.  He let me listen.   :wink:

So you nailed the Theta  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2010, 11:21 pm »
Yeah, I'd been looking for a cheap straight up redbook transport.  Bonus is it has AES out and my DEQX has an AES input (second input) so it frees up the SPDIF for the Squeezebox.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #28 on: 3 Mar 2010, 12:44 am »
Congratulations to Jim, Dennis, and Paul for a great job.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:21 am »

Correct me if I am wrong, but would that _not_ be a fair comparison considering that the majority of speakers today are sold via dealers?

One of the reasons I purchased my Salks was because I was buying them directly from Jim, i.e., no dealer markup. Don't misunderstand: I would have no problem buying something from a dealer if their markup was commensurate with their service. Personally, I haven't found that to be the case when it comes to buying gear for a long while. After talking to Jim about my order, he assured me that I could return my Salks -no questions asked- even though I settled on a custom veneer. Now that is service! I would have gracefully eaten the cost of shipping  if the speakers weren't to my liking.

In my humble opinion, the HT2-TL's should be compared to speakers in the $8000 to $10,000 dollar ballpark. Again, just my opinion.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:26 am »
Just heard these for the first time at nyc_paramedics' place on Saturday.  Wow!  Nick has his setup setup very well with plenty of room treatments.

Some of the best imaging, I've heard to date.  Bass was plenty low and voices were very toneful.  I was impressed.

Thanks. I wish you weren't parked at the hydrant and could have listened a while longer; a ton of stuff on the music server to pick from.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:30 am »
Very good review from a creditable source. Although I do not know what all the fuss about the spikes was all about. Thats one of the first things my friends say about mine when they come to hear them. Man I like those Metal "feet".

Paul, Dennis and Jim :I predict the HT2-TL will become a speaker classic, congratulations!

This review has come at a very good time IMO.  Salk speakers have enjoyed a very favorable press untill just lately. I have noticed a few "shots"and remarks,placed in several audio forums and review sites that had some unfavorable remarks. If you study the internet audio sites as much as I have lately ,the nature of these posts are easy to understand. It has made me do a interspective review of some of my posts and statements. True I guess you could call me a "Salk Fan Boy". I am proud of my Salk speakers but I hope I do not offend people with my remarks and give  respect to other manufactors speakers where do. I hope the Salk boards continue to stay positive and upbeat and respective of other products where due. Intentionly trying to harm any product online does permant harm to the intentional value/purpose of the personal review

I certainly agree about the need to avoid mud slinging in forum posts.  And given the string of good luck Salk has had with customer feedback, it's only natural to expect some negative comments to surface.  But I apparently don't frequent the forums where that has occurred.  I really am interested in feedback of any kind--positive or negative--so I would appreciate knowing where I could find those comments.  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post that info publically.  Thanks.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:44 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but would that _not_ be a fair comparison considering that the majority of speakers today are sold via dealers?

One of the reasons I purchased my Salks was because I was buying them directly from Jim, i.e., no dealer markup. Don't misunderstand: I would have no problem buying something from a dealer if their markup was commensurate with their service. Personally, I haven't found that to be the case when it comes to buying gear for a long while. After talking to Jim about my order, he assured me that I could return my Salks -no questions asked- even though I settled on a custom veneer. Now that is service! I would have gracefully eaten the cost of shipping  if the speakers weren't to my liking.

In my humble opinion, the HT2-TL's should be compared to speakers in the $8000 to $10,000 dollar ballpark. Again, just my opinion.

well, I agree with your comment in general, but he did compare the ST's with a few other 2K speakers. I would certainly like to see HT2-TL's to beat any 4K speakers in a direct comparison. If they beat much more expensive speakers, oh well  :D

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:19 am »
I would certainly like to see HT2-TL's to beat any 4K speakers in a direct comparison. If they beat much more expensive speakers, oh well  :D

Go to RMAF and see what you can buy for 28,000.00 retail, plus or minus 3,995.00.   

(I know, I know, but the hotel rooms were exactly the same size and dimensions.)

rahimlee54

« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:41 am »
I was curious as to where he read the negative press on the Salks, just want to read up.  I sent a PM, he hasn't replied yet.

Jared

Art_Chicago

« Reply #35 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:17 am »
Go to RMAF and see what you can buy for 28,000.00 retail, plus or minus 3,995.00.   

(I know, I know, but the hotel rooms were exactly the same size and dimensions.)

OINP, I have no idea what your point is. I have heard great 20k speakers as I have heard crappy ones. But ... that has nothing to do with my previous post. Do I believe that Salk speakers possess the best value - yes, and I own a pair.  I just want to see it reflected in a fair comparison test, that is it.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #36 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:25 am »
OINP, I have no idea what your point is. I have heard great 20k speakers as I have heard crappy ones. But ... that has nothing to do with my previous post. Do I believe that Salk speakers possess the best value - yes, and I own a pair.  I just want to see it reflected in a fair comparison test, that is it.

I was surprised that the reviewer wrote that the HT2-TL "command a high price, to be sure", even though the reviewer stated that the price is justified, when there are many lesser speakers than the HT2-TL that cost many times the HT2-TL's 3995.00 per pair.   Maybe the HT2-TL has bona fide competition in the 4000.00 range, but I haven't heard any such speakers.   The HT2-TL is a great speaker, and the price is a bargain, IMO, especially after listening to some 28,000.00+ speakers.   

Big Red Machine

« Reply #37 on: 3 Mar 2010, 12:51 pm »
I didn't really like the review and was uncomfortable while reading it.  If I were a potential customer the comments about the prodigious bass would be welcome but it seemed he was trying too hard to be neutral and he certainly has a bias against anything over $2k.  He made several technical errors like the "injection molding" comment (actually die cast I believe).  When I see mistakes like this I immediately question the source.  If he stood back from the review for a minute and fully grasped the results he was getting I would suspect he would realize these "$4k speakers" actually play with $8-12K speakers and are an outright miracle at this price point.  But hey, I'm not a reviewer so take it for what it's worth.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #38 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:15 pm »
The reviewer did admit near the beginning of his review that he doesn't usually work with speakers in that price range, and that this experience initially pre-disposed him to think that the HT2-TLs wouldn't sound much better than the SongTowers he previously reviewed and liked very much.  Later on in the article, he clearly admitted he was wrong.  What's the problem with that?

I agree with those others who say a proper comparison for the HT2-TL would be with other $4k internet direct speakers, and not speakers that sell retail for a similar price.

The reviewer does seem to have a speaker "foot fetish" :green:.  I find it entertaining.  I don't take serious his comments about how spikes MUST pierce carpets in order to work properly.

And yes, he tries to maintain a reputation of being a tough critic as opposed to being a salivating fan-boy.  I think he had difficulty being convincingly tough in his HT2-TL review because he clearly loved them.

BRM - just curious, I always thought that the terms "die-cast" and "injection molded" were interchangeable - indicating that molten metal or plastic is forced into a mold and allowed to cool.  Is there a technical difference?

gerald porzio

« Reply #39 on: 3 Mar 2010, 03:36 pm »
It,s a good review. Why split hairs over minutia. Many spkr. cos. would gladly give both testicles for such a review. Most reviewers have as much tech smarts as the guy making coffee @ your local 7-11.