Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)

coke

Re: Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)
« Reply #80 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:22 pm »
^ :lol:  If only I had the money.  :)

Last 5 years I was in school and practically broke. Graduated in May and started working in June - Electrical Engineering.

Its sort of like a dream come true to be able to afford this level of audio equipment.

I hope to be a long term Salk customer.  Who knows, maybe I'll eventually step up to HT4s or whatever else he comes up with down the road.

rahimlee54

« Reply #81 on: 24 Oct 2009, 05:38 pm »
^^^ Man I know that feeling, just out of school, get a job and being able to afford meat again.  Then you gotta buy everything furniture, house, car.  Glad to know your priorities are in the right place.  Who doesnt need a set of speakers and everything to go with it?

ctouhey

« Reply #82 on: 24 Oct 2009, 07:42 pm »

From Jim (slightly edited  since this is public):

I just got a batch of burled walnut yesterday and it is spectacular.  It is rather expensive.  The batch I bought was for some HT3's.  However...the sheets are sized such
that with a really nice book-matched pattern, I can get enough out  of that batch to cut that cost in half. I was going to use this on a personal pair (for myself), but you are welcome to it if you want.

Scared me for a moment!  Jim sent me that picture this past Monday as I have been looking for burled walnut for my HT3/HTC order.  We loved it and are going with that veneer.  Until I re-read your post, I thought Jim was offering it to you!  Now I see that he just has extra.

Anyway, put me on the list of someone waiting for speakers that has never heard a Salk speaker in his life.  We are upgrading all the audio/video stuff and the Salks will be the last thing that arrives. 

vintagebob

jsalk

« Reply #84 on: 24 Oct 2009, 08:19 pm »
Scared me for a moment!  Jim sent me that picture this past Monday as I have been looking for burled walnut for my HT3/HTC order.  We loved it and are going with that veneer.  Until I re-read your post, I thought Jim was offering it to you!  Now I see that he just has extra.

The only difference is that the photo I sent you the other day was from the veneer supplier's site.  This is a picture I took of the actual veneer.  Your pieces of veneer (unseen in the photo) are to the left and right of what is shown in the picture.  The sheets turned out to be wide enough to allow for two sets of speakers from the same stack of sheets - very rare.

- Jim

funkmonkey

« Reply #85 on: 24 Oct 2009, 08:47 pm »
...The sheets turned out to be wide enough to allow for two sets of speakers from the same stack of sheets - very rare.

- Jim

That tree must have been ginormous!

coke

« Reply #86 on: 24 Oct 2009, 09:48 pm »

Anyway, put me on the list of someone waiting for speakers that has never heard a Salk speaker in his life.  We are upgrading all the audio/video stuff and the Salks will be the last thing that arrives.

Will be interesting to see matching HT2-TLs and HT3s.  I would have ordered HT3s but I think my room is just too small.

coke

« Reply #87 on: 27 Oct 2009, 08:19 pm »
Made a downpayment on the speakers this morning. 

Going to be a LONG month or however long this takes, but at least I have the dynaudios to hold me over while I wait.

Nuance

« Reply #88 on: 27 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm »
Congrats, coke.  That is very cool!