Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)

coke

Re: Salk vs Dynaudio (my "mini" speaker quest)
« Reply #60 on: 22 Oct 2009, 10:13 pm »
Maybe when i get a preamp, i'll go that route so i can use whatever DAC i have at the time. For now i'll just stick with the ipod.

Update for rest of thread:
Going to buy H2T-TLs probably next week.
Think i'm going to get an Onkyo receiver
Probably going with an AVA Insight 440

Now I have to decide on a veneer

Nuance

« Reply #61 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:50 pm »
Sounds like you have a great plan, except using the ipod as your music source. 

Here's a test to try out: use any CD player you have and play a track you're very familiar with using the CD player.  Now play that exact same track with the ipod hooked up via it's dock.  I am betting the sound quality with the ipod is much, much worse. 

Just something to think about.  If it's not worse then continue what you're doing.  But I have a feeling you'll hear a large difference by using a dedicated CD player.

mathgeek97

« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:03 am »
In my setup, I am playing my iTunes via an Apple Airport express, which has a digital optical out.  Yes, jitter is an issue, but it sounds pretty good.  If I want it to sound great, I'll have to add a nice DAC.  Still haven't decided what to buy, but I keep seeing some nice ones on Audiogon...  You won't get decent sound from an iPod's DAC.
BTW, the folks over at the Apple circle clued me in that you need to make sure the iTunes volume is set at 100% to get true lossless playback over the Airport Express.

coke

« Reply #63 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:05 am »
Sounds like you have a great plan, except using the ipod as your music source. 

Here's a test to try out: use any CD player you have and play a track you're very familiar with using the CD player.  Now play that exact same track with the ipod hooked up via it's dock.  I am betting the sound quality with the ipod is much, much worse. 

Just something to think about.  If it's not worse then continue what you're doing.  But I have a feeling you'll hear a large difference by using a dedicated CD player.

I agree.  That's the reason i want to get an oppo. I think it should work fine for CDs.  Most of my music is on CD anyway, very little was downloaded.

funkmonkey

« Reply #64 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:29 am »
using the iPod as a source via an iPod dock into an Onkyo should result in using the DAC thats in the receiver (most likely a well regarded BurrBrown DAC if I'm not mistaken (depending on year/model)).  Using the dock, the iPod would become transport only (no?).  So, theoretically if your iPod contains lossless files it would be the same as running a CD player using a digital out, or streaming files using a squeezebox that was set up to use the DAC in the receiver.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but the main advantage of using something like a squeeze box is that you have access to your entire library.  If your entire library fits (in a lossless format) on your iPod, then the advantage becomes one of not having to get up off the couch.  :)

you guys know more about the differences in DACs than I do, but I have read several times over that unless you are going for a standalone DAC, the Burr Brown DAC is pretty good.

coke

« Reply #65 on: 23 Oct 2009, 01:43 am »
I think it would be using the ipod's DAC since it's an analog out.

funkmonkey

« Reply #66 on: 23 Oct 2009, 02:07 am »
my bad I forget that all docks aren't created equal...  but there are docks out there that would level the plying field:
http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/1008wad/

heres one from Onkyo that might make it before christmas:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/31/onkyo-nd-s1-ipod-dock-feaures-digital-audio-composite-video-an/

Nuance

« Reply #67 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:07 am »
I think it would be using the ipod's DAC since it's an analog out.

That is how I understood it as well. 

Good call on the Oppo.  For the money its a great transport IMO.

coke

« Reply #68 on: 24 Oct 2009, 03:56 am »
Placing an order for burled walnut HT2-TLs early next week  :drool:

Tempted to step up to HT3, but I just don't have the room for them.  Oh well, I guess I can settle for the others  :lol:

Also, I'm getting to keep the Dynaudios, which are already paid for, while I wait   :thumb:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #69 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:06 am »

Very nice.  The burl walnut veneer should be beautiful.  I have Spendors in burl walnut, and the veneer is wonderful.  I suspect in a larger speaker, such as the HT2-TL, the pattern will be spectacular.

coke

« Reply #70 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:14 am »

From Jim (slightly edited  since this is public):

I just got a batch of burled walnut yesterday and it is spectacular.  It is rather expensive.  The batch I bought was for some HT3's.  However...the sheets are sized such
that with a really nice book-matched pattern, I can get enough out  of that batch to cut that cost in half. I was going to use this on a personal pair (for myself), but you are welcome to it if you want.

sedah

« Reply #71 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:21 am »
Gorgeous wood there. Wow.

coke

« Reply #72 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:21 am »
Just playing around with paint.  I wonder how this would look, with the light colors around the corners instead of at the center.  Not sure on the scale of this so it's difficult to judge. I think I like the other way better, but this looks interesting.

Nuance

« Reply #73 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:51 am »

Tempted to step up to HT3, but I just don't have the room for them.  Oh well, I guess I can settle for the others  :lol:

Also, I'm getting to keep the Dynaudios, which are already paid for, while I wait   :thumb:

Congrats!  You're confident enough to order site unseen and unheard, eh?  :) 

So you get to keep the Dyn's while you wait - now that is good stuff.  Hopefully you'll be able to compare as well once the Salk's arrive.  I look forward to that day.

coke

« Reply #74 on: 24 Oct 2009, 05:02 am »

Congrats!  You're confident enough to order site unseen and unheard, eh?  :) 

So you get to keep the Dyn's while you wait - now that is good stuff.  Hopefully you'll be able to compare as well once the Salk's arrive.  I look forward to that day.

Yeah, it' s not easy to order without hearing them, but from the comments i've read, they seem to be what I'm looking for. 

Your posts are actually one of the reasons I'm ordering these without hearing them.  Your review of the Dynaudios pretty much exactly fits my impression of them. Amazing tweeter, pretty good mids, but the bass is all over the place.  From this I assume we have similar listening tastes.  Since you seemed to think the songtower's performance was similar to the dynaudios, it leads me to believe that the HT2-TLs should be in a completely different league and be exactly what i've been looking for.

funkmonkey

« Reply #75 on: 24 Oct 2009, 05:22 am »
 :thumb:  that walnut burl is off the hook!  ...should make for an amazing set of speakers!

I'm surprised that Jim is ever able to complete a pair for himself.  I wonder if any of his "personal" pairs have lasted more than a couple of months before somebody snatched them up.  I can't wait to see pictures when that pair are done. 

I'm sure you will be happy with the HT2-TLs.  If your not, and you do get that burl, Jim will be able to sell them to somebody else in a heartbeat, so there's no pressure to keep them.   :wink:

coke

« Reply #76 on: 24 Oct 2009, 05:29 am »
I'm sure you will be happy with the HT2-TLs.  If your not, and you do get that burl, Jim will be able to sell them to somebody else in a heartbeat, so there's no pressure to keep them.   :wink:

I seriously doubt I'll be selling these, but I thought that if for some reason I had to,  a veneer that beautiful couldn't hurt the resale. 

Nuance

« Reply #77 on: 24 Oct 2009, 05:59 am »
Yeah, it' s not easy to order without hearing them, but from the comments i've read, they seem to be what I'm looking for. 

Your posts are actually one of the reasons I'm ordering these without hearing them.  Your review of the Dynaudios pretty much exactly fits my impression of them. Amazing tweeter, pretty good mids, but the bass is all over the place.  From this I assume we have similar listening tastes.  Since you seemed to think the songtower's performance was similar to the dynaudios, it leads me to believe that the HT2-TLs should be in a completely different league and be exactly what i've been looking for.

Oh man...I am going to feel terrible now if you don't like them.  Pressure is on!   :o

coke

« Reply #78 on: 24 Oct 2009, 06:01 am »

Oh man...I am going to feel terrible now if you don't like them.  Pressure is on!   :o

You can buy them if I don't like them   :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #79 on: 24 Oct 2009, 03:41 pm »
^ :lol:  If only I had the money.  :)