BBE 282

snaimpally

BBE 282
« on: 6 Jan 2024, 03:56 am »
BBE has shrunk their circuit down into a  tiny form factor that uses a wall wart power supply. The 282 comes in 3 flavors: RCA, XLR, or 1/4" TRS. They are usually available for under $125-$150 depending on the connectors (the XLR version costs more than the RCA version). I picked up an open box unit for around $100. The Sonic Maximizer adjusts the phase relationships between the low, mid and high frequencies by adding progressively longer delay times to lower frequencies. I find that dialing in a small amount goes a long way and helps define the instruments better in the soundstage. I only use it on some source materials. I find older (unremastered) CDs and poorly mixed/mastered vinyl benefit the most.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: BBE 282
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:01 am »
Exactly what is a BBE 282 ?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2024, 01:07 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2024, 03:26 pm »
So it's a more up to date version of something I had in my car in high school...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:13 pm »
I used some of the BBE Sonic Maximizers in the past, they're excellent providing they mate up correctly with your preamp.
I tried one with a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 and it caused my speakers to flutter, I'm not sure what it was doing.
With old Carver and Sunfire gear the results were really impressive.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:19 pm »
I've only heard them a couple of times and not in a very long time.  Did not impress me personally.  I actually have a modded Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator in a secondary system.  I don't use the system often.  The C-9 is being run through an Oppo BDP-103D so I can use the Oppo app to select most of my files (up to single rate DSD or 192kHz) and every now and then I use it just for fun.

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2024, 04:58 pm »
I used some of the BBE Sonic Maximizers in the past, they're excellent providing they mate up correctly with your preamp.
I tried one with a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 and it caused my speakers to flutter, I'm not sure what it was doing.
With old Carver and Sunfire gear the results were really impressive.
I still don't know what they do.  What is a audible effect of these things? Their sales blurb make it sound like a loudness switch on an old receiver, boosting low and high frequencies.   

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2024, 06:17 pm »
I still don't know what they do.  What is a audible effect of these things? Their sales blurb make it sound like a loudness switch on an old receiver, boosting low and high frequencies.

That was my understanding and take from what I heard (many moons back).  Many moons back (almost 45 years ago) in my early days of having separates, I had a lot of devices which massaged the sound.  I grew out of that phase a long time ago.  The only thing I have now along those lines is the modded Sonic Holographer in a seldom used secondary system.  At one point from the mid 1970s to early 1980s I worked in NYC near Harveys Sound (https://www.informationweek.com/it-leadership/sad-day-for-radio-row-as-harvey-s-45th-street-store-closes).  They had equipment with a focus on high end audio and the also what was geared towards studios.  So I got to audition lots of those type of devices.  I had surround sound in my systems before Dolby and stereo TV or VCRs were available.  I used one of these -  https://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/KOSS%20K_4DS.pdf   with an SAE outboard amp and rear speakers and a Pioneer dual mono TV tuner.  Back then vinyl and cassettes were my main music sources.

snaimpally

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2024, 12:11 am »

From my original post "The Sonic Maximizer adjusts the phase relationships between the low, mid and high frequencies by adding progressively longer delay times to lower frequencies." It works slightly differently than, but has a similar effect to, the Aphex Aural exciter (though you may not know what that is either).

A loudness switch boosts high and low frequencies according to the Fletcher-Munson curve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour). Thus, a loudness control does not change phase relationships - it boosts highs and lows because based on how humans perceive frequencies at lower volumes.

To answer your question "What is a audible effect of these things?" I can describe it but it will be meaningless because the effect is subtle - I find instruments more clearly defined in the soundstage. If you have a Guitar Center or other music store nearby, check if they sell BBE and ask if you can hear it in action.

Like with many things in audio, it is hard to describe but easier to hear it.

snaimpally

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2024, 12:23 am »
So it's a more up to date version of something I had in my car in high school...

No. FYI, I'm in Austin, TX. You are welcome to come over and hear it.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2024, 12:55 am »
Ok.  A recording should never out of phase from one range to another.  They are all recorded as they arrive at the microphone, and they all generated simultaneously and travel at the same speed.  Phase issues are usually at the speaker, often from multiple driver speakers with crossovers.  If you are changing phase relationships from lows, mids, and treble it will certainly change the sound.  And perhaps you can improve on a particular crossover designer... but that's like redesigning a crossover.  It's not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced.   
I do appreciate the offer, and if I'm in Austin soon, I'll drop you a note.   It's always educational to hear other systems.