SoundScapes & AVA at CA AUDIO Show

stream-it

Re: SoundScapes & AVA at CA AUDIO Show
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jul 2011, 12:39 am »
Okay, how about this? You install a mini pci-e wifi in the streamer. That gives you wifi for hand held control, input capabilities for rips to storage from other computers and it frees up the network connection to stream. The streamer then connects to the player directly on the shared network to except streams.

The Auraliti uses an atom based motherboard and the atom is embedded on the board. The ram is not embedded. 

jsalk

« Reply #61 on: 23 Jul 2011, 02:39 am »
Okay, how about this? You install a mini pci-e wifi in the streamer. That gives you wifi for hand held control, input capabilities for rips to storage from other computers and it frees up the network connection to stream. The streamer then connects to the player directly on the shared network to except streams.

The Auraliti uses an atom based motherboard and the atom is embedded on the board. The ram is not embedded. 

That would proabably work and we may play with that idea (I have thought about these ideas and more before).  But the wi-fi adds complexity, requires a share of the system processing power increasing the chances of dropouts, increases the OS footprint, generates RF and requires additional power.  It could certainly be done, but kind of interferes with what we were trying to do. Next, someone will want S/PDIF and AES/EBU, analog inputs, storage, etc. (reasonable requests).  Then someone would want HDMI, etc. and pretty soon you would have a full-blown computer again.  That is what we were trying to avoid.  The idea was to remove features, not add them.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with adding all kind of features.  With the StreamPlayer, we wanted to eliminate functions so that the system would be as minimalistic as possible (clean and stable as possible).  Down the line, I envision a "StreamCombo" that has all of these functions and more (for those who really want an all-in-one system).  But that is another project.

- Jim

stream-it

« Reply #62 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:25 am »
Wifi is not complex and only requires one configuration to be edited by you to enable it. You need to understand how the mpd clients work. The clients do not stream content so there can be no drop out issues unless you walk into an elevator:) They provide control input only and it's press and forget. In fact you can turn them off after you send a command. The OS footprint is really marketing talk. Let's face it any Mac OSX is many times larger and it's tough to beat. RF is generated and power is used, but it's in the server and not in the player so it's not important.

pansixt

« Reply #63 on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:40 am »
Stream-it
Obviously by your user name you are accomplished in the streaming of digital content.
Perhaps you would help me with my pursuit of streaming digital music to my 2 channel
system.
I am a novice in his area, and could use the input.
Please help a lay person like me, and leave Mr. Salk to continue to refine his idea
There is the Discless Circle on AC. I am sure that you have noticed, and I am equally sure that you are qualified to lend a hand, so to speak, with those of us who need the advice.
Please feel free to send me a personal message. I would be happy to gain the knowledge that you may be able to provide, as I am sure others would be as well.
And I should add that if you are ever in the National Capital area, we could talk in person in great depth, about this most interesting subject.
And this is my most humble 69th post.
Sincerely,
James

Nuance

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:46 am »
Stream-it, why don't you design your own product the way you'd like it instead of bothering those actually doing this in real life?  Or maybe you have already done this and are a competitor.  Either way, its clear what your goals are, and it seems they differ from Mr. Salk's, so why not give it a rest?  Go over to the discless circle and help those who actually need it. ;)

pansixt

« Reply #65 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:57 am »
Nu' ee,
Go Redskins, Huh??? :P

fsimms

« Reply #66 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:35 pm »
Nice picture of SoundScapes at show:

http://cave.hometheaterhifi.com/profiles/blogs/california-audio-show-part-x

The comments aren't bad too.

Bob

fishinbob

« Reply #67 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:08 pm »
Obviously there is nothing wrong with adding all kind of features.  With the StreamPlayer, we wanted to eliminate functions so that the system would be as minimalistic as possible (clean and stable as possible).  - Jim

Ahhh....the "KISS" principle.  Right up my alley. :lol: