Tube Buffer Necessary?

TQdB

Re: Tube Buffer Necessary?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:20 am »
I'm running in some Clarity MR caps right now without a buffer and it sounds fantastic.

That fantastic-sounding amp isn't an all-black 901 with sycamore top by any chance? ...   :)

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:16 am »
The 3.3 caps give a little bigger more conteolled bottom end.

Jason,

What does the Dueland offer sonically in comparison? What size can I use for the Sensation?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:03 am »
That fantastic-sounding amp isn't an all-black 901 with sycamore top by any chance? ...   :)

I thought you ordered a silver face blue sides and a rosewood top...

Oops!  :wink:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
Jason,

What does the Dueland offer sonically in comparison? What size can I use for the Sensation?

I couldn't even begin to tell you.
I've only installed one set of dueland caps so far and they were highpass caps (80hz) and I only listened to them for about 2hrs.

I'm burning in another clarity cap amp with buffer right now.
I can tell you that every time I listen to the clarity Mr caps I'm reminded of how damn good they sound.

Trismos

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:09 am »
I've only installed one set of dueland caps so far and they were highpass caps (80hz) and I only listened to them for about 2hrs.

I can tell you that every time I listen to the clarity Mr caps I'm reminded of how damn good they sound.

I hope that's my amp you're burning in and if it's not you're most welcome to do so until it leaves! (Kidding)...

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:43 pm »

It took about 500 hours before those Duelunds started sounding awesome. They sounded very bad before that, I was about ready to chuck my whole system out the door.

That USB Nirvana cable I recently received is now starting to sound awesome too, and what a steal at the price. I have been comparing it to the $250 Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable. Let's hope Jason does not learn just how good that cable is, he will surely raise his price.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:41 am »
That USB Nirvana cable I recently received is now starting to sound awesome too, and what a steal at the price. I have been comparing it to the $250 Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable. Let's hope Jason does not learn just how good that cable is, he will surely raise his price.

I just checked the Virtue site and saw the USB cable listed as out of stock.  Is it a "call Jason and make-to-order" deal or did everybody jump on the crazy-good deal faster than I could blink?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:23 am »
It's been out of stock for a while.  I been waiting to order as well.  :(

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2011, 04:16 am »
It's been out of stock for a while.  I been waiting to order as well.  :(

I've got ends for them. Email me ill build you one

FredA

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jan 2012, 01:56 am »
After reading this topic, I emailed Jason about the Clarity caps. I was looking for a fuller sound, basically. I finished installing the caps two hours ago. So far, they sound addictive. More so as they burn.

Compared with Sonicaps with Platinum bypass, we are talking fuller, clearer, more dynamic. They are not in the same league. You have to appreciate a slightly more forward sound though.

They are huge and tricky to install for a beginner. But this 130$ upgrade is worth way much more. I think thay are fantastic so far. I will update my impressions in a few days.

Cheers!

Fred

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:09 pm »
It is refreshing to have Jason charge his rate on the mods. That sure beats the $600-1000 mods that are so common in this hobby.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:24 pm »
OK.....What can I fit or Jason fit in a TWO.2 that will give it some more balls, some in your face "TURN ME UP I DEMAND IT" sound....LOL :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:08 pm »
We've been working on the more "ballsy" THREE for a while now ;-)  Hahaha

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:12 pm »
When is the THREE.BALLZ going to be released?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:12 pm »
You guy will just have to wait for the big boys until they drop....   :oops:

FredA

« Reply #35 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:12 am »
Hi guys.

This an update on my previous post. So after a hundred hours or so, i can confirm what i have said previously about the clarity caps. They give a more tubby sound which is good when you have Gallo 3.1 speakers. Better definition and dynamics as well.

The sound has acquired some missing depth. The caps are becoming a little leaner but still very enjoyable. I think they're great.

Finally, I spent so much time on the Hifi Collective site that i took a chance on ordering an Alps Blue Beauty pot and spent 2 hours fitting it in tonight (which required some drilling in the faceplate). So far, it seems like a significant upgrade. I get more transparency, basically. So i have become a DIYer within one week and feel great about it!

Tuning the Sensation is fun hobby.

Take care.

Fred

RockySqrl

« Reply #36 on: 21 Jan 2012, 09:21 am »
Hi. Do the Clarity caps offer any improvement if you're using the tube buffer? Thanks.

FredA

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2012, 11:23 am »
I would guess so, depending on what you have already have as caps. But I don't have the tube buffer so...
In my case, I had the regular Sonicaps with a Platinum bypass. The Clarity simply is a better cap, and better match for my speakers too. I don't know if it just the caps or if the new pot contributed to this but last night, I heard details I had never heard before on some recordings. Dynamics are definitly better than before because of the caps. There is also a quieter background. The balance is more even as well.

RockySqrl

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2012, 06:17 am »
Thanks for the reply, FredA. It occurred to me that it might make a difference which comes first in the audio chain from input to output. If the caps are first then probably they would affect the net ouput. But if the tube buffer gets inserted in the chain before the caps, then perhaps not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #39 on: 23 Jan 2012, 11:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply, FredA. It occurred to me that it might make a difference which comes first in the audio chain from input to output. If the caps are first then probably they would affect the net ouput. But if the tube buffer gets inserted in the chain before the caps, then perhaps not. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

the buffer is first and yes the caps still make a difference.