Grant Fidelity to 1.2

sinwen

Grant Fidelity to 1.2
« on: 10 May 2012, 03:31 am »
Hi all,
I have acquired a Grant Fidelity TubeDac11 to to connect to my VA 1.2.  The VA1.2 is fed by lead acid battery and sounds great on its own. I wanted the GF to increase the number of sources and also for a USB and DAC possibility.  For now, I am still using the volume control on the VA1.2 to control the volume.  The volume control on the GFTubeDac11 is permanently set to 3 o'clock.  I also have a subwoofer connected to the sub-out RCA of the VA1.2. 

Is this an ideal connection?  There is a possibility of disengaging the volume pot of the VA1.2 and use it as a pre-power OR using turn up the vol pot of the VA1.2 and use the volume control of the GF to control the volume.  For these 2 cases, can I still connect the subwoofer direct to the VA or should it be connected to the GF (essentially used as a pre-amp in this case). 
Any opinion is welcome and appreciated.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Grant Fidelity to 1.2
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 11:23 am »
I have a Grant DAC-09 and a 2.2 and when I moved the jumper to change the TWO.2 to a straight power amp the difference for me was very profound. The absolute best way to listen in my opinion. I have since gotten a different DAC but still use the Grant as a pre-amp. This little DAC-09 has proven to be a super correct decision on my part. I have never been able to detect any difference when using the DAC-09 as a pre. Its dead quiet and the Virtue amps really sound great without the Volume pot. Go for it!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I forgot to add I have a sub also..identical setup as you. Holler if you need me to help out. Its pretty straight forward.

sinwen

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 01:52 pm »
Thank you Eclein, that was a very helpful reply.  I will give it a try. So you connect the sub to the 2.2?  BTW, what speakers are you using?  I am running a pair of Usher S520.

Next question is about the input for the DAC-11.  Does the normal analogue RCA input engage the DAC. I am using a Creek CD50mk2.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 05:15 pm »
On the DAC-11, the analog inputs bypass the DAC. They are directed to the tube out and tube bypass outputs. They will not go through tha DAC output.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2012, 04:53 am »
WC is correct.......I use JBL-L830's :thumb:

sinwen

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2012, 06:46 am »
Thanks guys.  Which means I have been using the TubeDac as a tube buffer all these while.  Didn't realise only the digital inputs goes through the DAC.  I will be having some fun switching among the various ways of hooking up my setup.

Eclein, to be absolutely certain that I have understood you correctly, do you use the 2.2 as a power amp and have your subwoofer connected to it?  I always thought that a subwoofer should be connected to a pre-amp.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2012, 02:45 pm »
I run the sub from the 2.2, that is correct. I've tried it from my pre and found it was hard to keep a nice consistent volume on it that way. The sub just integrates better for my ears when it runs from the amp (2.2).