portable power inverters

Randy

portable power inverters
« on: 9 Mar 2022, 08:52 pm »
Usually used for camping functions and the like, could one of these be used to power a stereo system?  Supposedly output pure sine wave AC power.  After years of trying many audiophile power conditioners, none of which worked for me, I am always looking for alternatives.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Solar-Ready-Generator-Emergency/dp/B07SM5HBK1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=G6KC7B74VR1D&keywords=jackery&nav_sdd=aps&qid=1646858980&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A13883099011&rnid=13883098011&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=jackery&sr=1-5

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: portable power inverters
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2022, 10:58 pm »
Could it be used for at hi-fi system? Sure!
But with a ton of problems.
Also it needs to be way bigger than it's power rating.

jules

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2022, 12:22 am »
Inverters can most certainly be used for hi fi. My house is entirely off-grid, using batteries and an inverter but I'd suggest you steer away from "camping" inverters and go for something intended for long term, reliable home power supply with a higher output.

Some inverters have an internal fan that can be annoying. This usually only happens when they're running at close to their limits. I'm using an Australian Selectronic 1800W inverter that's been ultra-reliable for about 15 years now.

Also avoid cheap Chinese inverters. I don't have blanket opposition to Chinese electronics, some of it is very good but it can be an experiment.

Jules

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2022, 12:45 am »
Could it be used for at hi-fi system? Sure!
But with a ton of problems.
Also it needs to be way bigger than it's power rating.

Thanks.  Can you explain further as to "ton of problems" and "way bigger."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2022, 03:41 am »
Apparently with 500W/h it will drive a boombox saturday morning to you wash the car.

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2022, 06:01 pm »
Back from the company. My system is a simple one, CD player, preamp which is passive, a tube buffer, and the power amp rated at 180 watts. My speakers are 95db efficient so I never draw much power from the amp. I asked specifically about their 500 model. If these things can run a fan, power tools, fridges, via a pure sine wave, I'd think they could handle my stereo system. I usually don't listen at any one time more than two, three hours tops.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for choosing Jackery and contacting us for your case.

Please check out your device's operating power (measured by watts), if it is no more than the output power of the Explorer's AC port, it can be supported by Explorer.

Then, you can calculate the charging time by the formula:

Working time = Explorer's Watt-Hous * 0.85 / operating power of your device.

For your reference, the Jackery power station E500 can run the device at 110V and requires less than 500W

Assuming power consumption of your device is 60W (might be a box fan), and you want to use the Explorer 500 to run your device.

The working time will be 500wh*0.85/60w=7 hrs (rough calculated).

Please note the actual power consumption varies from different usages.

The fan is used for heat dissipation, when the battery reaches a certain temperature, it will automatically turn on, and when the temperature drops, it will turn off.

Jackery power station has built-in over-recharge protection. However, it is suggested to unplug when it is 100% if you don't use it.

If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to let me know.

mikeeastman

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2022, 06:19 pm »
I also live off grid and  install solar systems, you want what is called a pure sine way inverter, I would recommend you look into Victron inverters they’re German make and one of the best on the market right now. You would just need a battery and fusing and your ready to go.

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2022, 07:07 pm »
I also live off grid and  install solar systems, you want what is called a pure sine way inverter, I would recommend you look into Victron inverters they’re German make and one of the best on the market right now. You would just need a battery and fusing and your ready to go.

I have no technical expertise, nada, so I like the units with the inverters, the batteries, and the chargers all in one unit. Thanks for the advice, just the same. Jackery units provide a pure sine wave output.

Randy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2022, 07:49 pm »
The verdict is in.  I got a 500 watt-rated Jackery inverter.  For all intents and purposes it worked well. It has a 1000 watt headroom, but I never got anywhere near that.  It has a wattage output reader that I never saw get higher than 80 watts with my amp, tube buffer, passive pre (with an active display) and CD player. Running everything was never a problem. I could use it for three or four hours straight and the charge would dip to no lower than 65 or 70%.

Like with all the power conditioners I've used, this one proved no different, which is surprising since it is powered by batteries, and so the hi fi system is completely off the grid. At first I thought it sounded great during the evening hours when my noisy ac kicks in. After a few days, however, I realized it really wasn't making much if any difference in the sonics. This has been my experience with all the audiophile power conditioners I've used including three iterations of PS Audio's regenerators.  The weird part is that even with battery power I get the same noise and irritating hash I get with the units plugged into the wall.  As I posted earlier, during daylight hours the sonics are pristine, but goes into the toilet when the sun goes down. Whatever it is, it must not be coming from the electrical power.

jules

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2022, 03:40 am »
As I posted earlier, during daylight hours the sonics are pristine, but goes into the toilet when the sun goes down. Whatever it is, it must not be coming from the electrical power.

That is truly weird. Have you done any tests to see if you can locate the source of the problem?

Carlman

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2023, 02:25 pm »
I know it's been a while since this was posted.. but wanted to say thanks to Randy for trying this and posting results.

My power is pretty clean but I wanted some protection... and wanted to use something that would fit into a bigger 'system' of duties for me.. and I thought, hey, get a power bank, use it for hifi, then take it camping (because I unplug my hifi anyway) and have something I get more use out of..

I appreciate you sharing you numbers and findings.. helps me a bit.  I expect little to no change in my sound because I have clean power all the time.  It doesn't get worse. 

If I had to guess.. Is it possible that your ears are better at night when you're relaxed... Maybe you just don't notice issues in the sound during the day because your mind is busy with other things?

We're in that final few percent of improvement with power conditioning so little nuance stuff matters... Just a thought..

-Carl

walkern

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2023, 02:42 pm »
Electronics (even passive ones) can pick up RF noise, as can interconnects and speaker cables.  So the noise you are hearing at night may not be power line related.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2023, 02:49 pm »
As posted above, a True Sinewave inverter is the preferred method as the "Modified Sinewave" inverters are basically almost squarewave output putting a lot of noise on the AC line. 

You want to look at the line distortion spec for the AC inverter.  AC line distortion is about 2% THD in my area from the power company.  The best True Sinewave inverters I found would meet that spec.  After hearing what 6% THD did to the audio system, needs to be well below that level.

Good luck with your trials.