Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

Wig

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #100 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:04 pm »
I think the 1512 is double of 156 in a bigger chassis. I still think the audiophiles within us will want to experiment, just as wig did but if it doesn’t improve it’s even better :D

So true! The more revealing your system is, the more noticeable the differences are heard with PC changes :thumb:

Wig

Wig

« Reply #101 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:12 pm »
Thank you :thumb:

Is it ok for this ground wire to be laid outside (in sun/rain) or do we need a conduit ? Would solid core be a better fit for this ? Also is there anything to prep the ground before pounding the 8’ rod :-)

Try to keep it nice and tidy. I'm in the desert and my cabling is under gravel and not noticeable. I stayed with stranded as it's more forgiving during installation... Also, after determining a safe rod location, saturate the ground for an hour; your forearm will thank you!  :lol:

Wig :D

debjit.g

« Reply #102 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:32 pm »
Try to keep it nice and tidy. I'm in the desert and my cabling is under gravel and not noticeable. I stayed with stranded as it's more forgiving during installation... Also, after determining a safe rod location, saturate the ground for an hour; your forearm will thank you!  :lol:

Wig :D

Cool. saturate the ground with what ?

Wig

« Reply #103 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:43 pm »
Cool. saturate the ground with what ?

Water.

Wig

debjit.g

« Reply #104 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:49 pm »
Water.

Wig

ok, I will probably do one of those rainy days   :thumb:

genjamon

« Reply #105 on: 31 Dec 2020, 08:27 pm »
I also live in the desert, and have read in the past about grounding issues where soil does not have adequate moisture surrounding the rod to convey current. I wonder if that should be a concern with these special rid installations in arid regions.

Wig

« Reply #106 on: 31 Dec 2020, 09:15 pm »
I also live in the desert, and have read in the past about grounding issues where soil does not have adequate moisture surrounding the rod to convey current. I wonder if that should be a concern with these special rid installations in arid regions.

We may only see maybe 4-5 20 minutes showers in a 6 month period and 2 feet into the ground is quite moist; the rod will be going down 5-8 feet where even more moisture is available. I think those in even dry areas would be fine but could add more moisture every 3 months when you clean your audio plugs/connectors as regular maintenance.  :thumb:

Wig

genjamon

« Reply #107 on: 31 Dec 2020, 09:56 pm »
Yeah, I live on the side of a hill, with minimal soil before bedrock.  Portions of my foundation are actually cut into bedrock, and especially on the side of the house where my electrical panel is located.  Certainly nowhere near 5-8 ft of soil.  I've lost three trees this year in our deep drought conditions (tied for lowest monsoon rainfall ever on record, and only one small meaningful rain since the monsoon season).  I actually don't know details of my existing ground rod's installation.  A special/unusual set of circumstances, for sure, but a concern for me at least. 

Cappy

« Reply #108 on: 31 Dec 2020, 10:12 pm »
The Puritan Audio Labs U.K. retail price list shows that they sell a grounding "Performance Enhancing Back-fill Compound 10 Litres (expands up to 30 litres with water)" for 60 GBP.

There are similar products available in the U.S. to increase the conductivity of the soil around the grounding rod. 

Here is one popular one -- nVent ERICO GEM Ground Enhancement Material:

https://www.erico.com/category.asp?category=R2387

https://blog.nvent.com/erico-the-4-critical-qualities-of-effective-ground-enhancement-materials-gem/

https://blog.nvent.com/lower-your-grounding-system-resistance-with-ground-enhancement-material-gem/

RPM123

« Reply #109 on: 31 Dec 2020, 10:32 pm »
I think the 1512 is double of 156 in a bigger chassis. I still think the audiophiles within us will want to experiment, just as wig did but if it doesn’t improve it’s even better :D

I simply needed the extra outlets that the 1512 offered.

AndrewA

« Reply #110 on: 1 Jan 2021, 10:24 pm »
As regards Puritan PCs, as far as I am aware they only offer one model.  This comes in three colors, black, white, and copper, and in various lengths.  Again, AFAIK, the different colors are purely cosmetic (copper makes a nice change).  You can read the technical details in a white paper on their website about how they've designed them and what they're supposed to do.  I like them because they're pretty inexpensive and supremely flexible; these are truly ideal if you're working in tight spaces. The PC that comes with the 156 and I presume other models, has an identical cord (wire), but with the appropriate 20amp connector to go into the back of the unit.  It's black (no color options ASAIK).

Cappy

« Reply #111 on: 1 Jan 2021, 10:32 pm »
The U.K. retail price list shows three levels of power cable:  1) Classic Dissipative Technology Mains Cables, 2) Classic+, and 3) Ultimate.

http://www.puritanaudiolabs.com/buying/retail-price-list/

AndrewA

« Reply #112 on: 2 Jan 2021, 10:37 pm »
Hmmm.  I see that.  But I can't find any reference to the two superior grades anywhere else on their website.  And I wasn't offered any choice in this regard when I bought a couple.  Strange...

Cappy

« Reply #113 on: 2 Jan 2021, 10:47 pm »
Hmmm.  I see that.  But I can't find any reference to the two superior grades anywhere else on their website.  And I wasn't offered any choice in this regard when I bought a couple.  Strange...

Product marketing got ahead of product development?  Wouldn't be the first time that happened in a company!

My PSM 156 arrived a few days early.  It was well packed -- I like the triple boxing.  Setting it up now. 

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #114 on: 3 Jan 2021, 12:16 am »
Product marketing got ahead of product development?  Wouldn't be the first time that happened in a company!

My PSM 156 arrived a few days early.  It was well packed -- I like the triple boxing.  Setting it up now.
Cappy
I’m very interested to hear your impressions of the PSM156. I currently have the SR Powercell 8 UEF SE and think it’s good but how much better can it get? About the same $

« Reply #115 on: 4 Jan 2021, 09:12 pm »
Yes, the Puritan will benefit from a good PC; I'm using a DIY Helix PC with Furutech 20A IEC plug and Neotech 12Ga OCC Solid Copper and these beat my previous PC costing up to $4K (Inakustik and Ch Acoustic X20).

See link on how it built and number of music lovers using them:

://forum.Audion.com/discussions/duelund-conversion-to-diy-helix-geometry-cabling

Wig :thumb:
I too had the Inakustic 3500 conditioner along with a few Inakustic power cords and just like previously owned conditioners including an expensive Ac regeneration with a loom of expensive wires ,speaking for myself the gain VS cost ratio really wasn’t there.

Wig I’m very interested in the helix DYI power cords and that is something I will try ..Currently I use the Puritan 136 with grounding box to very good effect , I have power cords that shamefully sell for more then the cost of the Puritan and grounding box combined,.
 I was leery of the dealers claims of the Puritan brand though finally took him up on his in home trial of one of the store demos .
 Comparison between the Inakustic and Puritan 136 I couldn’t tell any difference though plugging in my digital front end directly in the wall receptacles definitely both conditioners did their job .
I bought the Puritan 136 along with the grounding box , quickly sold the Inakustic along with the power cords and put that money directly to a new server.

Rx8man

« Reply #116 on: 5 Jan 2021, 06:45 pm »
Where do I dump my new 3500P since this 156 smokes it?  I'm not up for watering rods, getting ridiculous.

aniwolfe

« Reply #117 on: 5 Jan 2021, 08:03 pm »
Where do I dump my new 3500P since this 156 smokes it?  I'm not up for watering rods, getting ridiculous.

Right in my lap sir!  :lol:

drummermitchell

« Reply #118 on: 6 Jan 2021, 01:10 am »
Well ,while you guys are figuring out what to upgrade next,I will say since 06 my two Torus PIUs have beeen Flawless,SUPERB PROTECTION(another post with 4 subwoofers)non current limiting ect.
Used the SSSShhh snakes  8) 8) :lol:,end of rant and it’s no  audio BS,
If you want BS....look long and hard and Hydras and whatever else that dribbles down the line.
There are Picts of the innards of these CASH GRABBERS,
Don’t take my word for it search for your self,don’t be Complacent....audio companies LUV U FOR IT.
Happy New Year for Savings for some New Gear In The New Year.
Don’t buy into the hype without AUDITION(home)is the tried and TRUE METHOD.
Enjoy.

« Reply #119 on: 6 Jan 2021, 01:30 am »
Well ,while you guys are figuring out what to upgrade next,I will say since 06 my two Torus PIUs have beeen Flawless,SUPERB PROTECTION(another post with 4 subwoofers)non current limiting ect.
Used the SSSShhh snakes  8) 8) :lol:,end of rant and it’s no  audio BS,
If you want BS....look long and hard and Hydras and whatever else that dribbles down the line.
There are Picts of the innards of these CASH GRABBERS,
Don’t take my word for it search for your self,don’t be Complacent....audio companies LUV U FOR IT.
Happy New Year for Savings for some New Gear In The New Year.
Don’t buy into the hype without AUDITION(home)is the tried and TRUE METHOD.
Enjoy.
,,Hooray! for you !