Darlington Labs phono stages

krichard2496

• Industry Participant
Darlington Labs phono stages
« on: 17 Aug 2021, 01:03 am »
Our design philosophy emphasizes purity of performance, longevity of construction, and high value (while not requiring people to buy more than they need).  At the present time, this is why we don't offer a combined LOMC-capable unit.

We will be introducing two Head Amps at AXPONA in October, the SU-6 for $329+ and the SU-7 for $529+.
A combination MM-6 for $329+ and an SU-6 would be $658+ depending on options, may be in your price range, and would potentially be very competitive with other alternatives that you may be considering in the marketplace.

Sincerely,
Keith Richardson
Director of Engineering
Darlington Labs LLC

ServerAdmin

Re: Darlington Labs phono stages
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2021, 03:53 am »
Welcome to AC :) I've moved your post to the Industry Introductions section.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2021, 02:15 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Keith   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2021, 02:25 pm »
Welcome!

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2021, 09:52 pm »
Our design philosophy emphasizes purity of performance, longevity of construction, and high value (while not requiring people to buy more than they need).  At the present time, this is why we don't offer a combined LOMC-capable unit.

We will be introducing two Head Amps at AXPONA in October, the SU-6 for $329+ and the SU-7 for $529+.
A combination MM-6 for $329+ and an SU-6 would be $658+ depending on options, may be in your price range, and would potentially be very competitive with other alternatives that you may be considering in the marketplace.

Sincerely,
Keith Richardson
Director of Engineering
Darlington Labs LLC

take no offense Sir! But you have now made my brain spin backwards. It still looks like the DP-7 is the way to go to, but then again the DP-6 / stepup combo gives one some more options. I should be ordering mine in the next three to four weeks.  The only thing I'd like to see in a phono stage is a second output to run thru a streamer. Then you'd be busy ripping those 8,000 LP's till you croak!
gary

krichard2496

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2021, 10:54 pm »
Y-Adapters on the output may be the way to go.
We are out of room on the rear panel with the I/O as it is.

The only caveat we would offer is to be assured that your streamer, if left in parallel continuously, does not "load down" the output of the phono preamp when its A/D section, or the entire streaming unit, is powered off.

Some portable MiniDisc recorders in the distant past acted like a shorted diode across the signal path, and when connected to a mixing board "tape output" and put to sleep caused substantial signal harm.

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2021, 11:30 pm »
Y-Adapters on the output may be the way to go.
We are out of room on the rear panel with the I/O as it is.

The only caveat we would offer is to be assured that your streamer, if left in parallel continuously, does not "load down" the output of the phono preamp when its A/D section, or the entire streaming unit, is powered off.

Some portable MiniDisc recorders in the distant past acted like a shorted diode across the signal path, and when connected to a mixing board "tape output" and put to sleep caused substantial signal harm.

I'm wanting to keep it simple, and I'm thinking Bluesound or Cocktail. What I really need is an analog to digital converter. MSB had the option on their old "Link" units.
I have an LP cllection that has been growing since 1970 (actually 1964), and just finding a certain LP can become a task. People drop by and ask me to play them something every now and then. I'll ask them what they like and send them upstairs for the hunt. They never come back with one LP, but often a half dozen.

What is your turn around time for an order?
gary

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2021, 05:07 pm »
Are those just boards/kits, or are they complete, housed electronics?

xsb7244

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm »
Will there be a tube phono in the near future?

krichard2496

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:36 am »
Are those just boards/kits, or are they complete, housed electronics?

These are completed, fully-housed units.
We show quite a bit of the internals because of their build quality and through-hole construction.

However, they are plug-and-play.  Including remote power adaptors of 120V or 230V (as required).

krichard2496

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:37 am »
I'm wanting to keep it simple, and I'm thinking Bluesound or Cocktail. What I really need is an analog to digital converter. MSB had the option on their old "Link" units.
I have an LP cllection that has been growing since 1970 (actually 1964), and just finding a certain LP can become a task. People drop by and ask me to play them something every now and then. I'll ask them what they like and send them upstairs for the hunt. They never come back with one LP, but often a half dozen.

What is your turn around time for an order?
gary
Turn-around time on an order has decreased to about 1.5 weeks as of today.

krichard2496

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:39 am »
Will there be a tube phono in the near future?
If we offer a unit with tubes, it will likely be in a future "9-series" which would be a year or more out.
We don't expect fully tube units; rather, they would be hybrids with High-Voltage J-FETs, tubes and special configurations of BJT (conventional) transistors.

Many current customers use our products in all-tube systems with great results.
Our primary design work is done on all-tube, all-custom electronics of our own design.