Hum from Bryston 2.5 cube

saarnold

Hum from Bryston 2.5 cube
« on: 19 Aug 2021, 08:09 pm »
Hi all,
    Just received the 2.5 cube power amp to go with my new BP17 cubed.
Fantastic kit but just a slight concern- getting a very faint hum from the 2.5 close up - just from the amp, not coming from the speakers can only hear it close, up to about a foot (12inches) away.
Is this within spec and normal.
Could be my house electrical supply, wall sockets ect.
Please advise
Thanks in advance
saarnold

Samac

Re: Hum from Bryston 2.5 cube
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2021, 10:08 pm »
Hearing a Slight hum about a foot away? It’s not something I’d worry about at all. Sit back and enjoy that new fantastic gear you have there. :thumb: Congratulations, enjoy.

Cheers,

Scott

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2021, 12:14 am »
Order one of these (yes, they really work):

https://avahifi.com/products/humdinger-dc-line-blocker

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2021, 02:04 am »
Don’t you find with modern digital is new and FKN improved(NOT)
I have had and I’m bragging my Arcam Av-8 since 2006
I have had some media players and dacs(the latest) and you ALWAYS have to reboot or unplug wait a bit and wait for it to hopefully get its shit together.
I do not have unplug my computer once a month like I have to with my media player WTF Over.
Lately the dac (which is 24/7 keeps powering off every 20 min.
I don’t give a fuck about real long warranties,what the fuck does that mean when you can’t listen to the music in the now.
True warranty has value,but the should be making these components just as reliable as something from 2006 and is working flawless.
Like the loose screws in my amps( oh that’s impossible as we have strict control)
Well let’s see even the second order that came right to the dealer I asked them to take the amps out of the box and turn the amps upside down HELLOOOO TINKLE TINKLE same thing.
Returned and were replaced.
Unplug your amps people and turn them upside down Do you Hear what I hear.
Enjoy the week end

spartana

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2021, 09:41 pm »
My BP17 cubed made a humming noise that I could hear from 2.5 m away in a quiet room. According to what Bryston answered that was out of spec. I think they wrote that 1 m away it should not be audible anymore. Avitech in Vienna (distributor in Austria and Germany) compared mine against an exhibot unit and confirmed mine to be way louder. The transformer got changed. Now everything quite.

Francois_Tardif

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm »
Hi. I had the same problem with my B135 (which is the BP-17 preamplifier + the 2.5B Cubed amplifier). It was replaced and everything is ok now.

Francois