Jazz at the Pawnshop

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Jazz at the Pawnshop
« on: 12 May 2011, 09:18 pm »
Okay. I was considering buying Jazz at the Pawnshop off of HDTracks. Has anyone else downloaded this album? Thoughts on quality and value? $40 for the download seems reasonable compared to the SACD or K2HD versions I see on Amazon.

sts9fan

Re: Jazz at the Pawnshop
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 10:14 pm »
I downloaded it.  I have never listened to the vinyl or cd version.  It sounds great to me. 

bogiedr

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 10:59 pm »
I purchased the original CD release abck in the day, I want to say some 25 years ago, it is outstanding!!! It still sounds as good as if I were in Poland listening live! If I recall correctly, it was Poland ... :thumb:

chasmo

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 11:49 pm »
I bought the LPset  in the late 70's, and the CD set in the 1990's.

I recently heard just one song off the HD Tracks version, through headphones, while visiting a friend.

It sounds better than ever! 
Buy with confidence (and always back up your files).

-Chas

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2011, 12:29 am »
Thanks guys. It sounds like a good investment.  :thumb:

hifitommy

JATP
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2011, 04:17 pm »
it has been overused as demo material so that many people cannot tolerate hearing it any more and have even grown to dislike it.  for this reason, i dont play my favorites or even respected recordings over and over.  jatp is very good jazz playing captured in pristine form.

the hd tracks price is more inviting than the physical media items online so if you like the music, go for it. 

i have a vinyl single disc 33rpm copy that i scored for $6 and even though its not the original release, the sound is just great. 

i dont usually pay big bucks for my music, and downloading isnt in my foreseeable future, the investment in the equipment , learning curve, and the cost of the hi rez downlaods is more than i want to entertain. 

i DID however get the 45rpm/two disc Cisco Records set of Midnight Sugar by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, also on TBM.  the piano transients are to die for as is the jazz playing.  whether that is available on hd tracks is unknown to me.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2011, 05:29 pm »
I'll have to keep a lookout for Midnight Sugar. I liked a short clip that was posted online. Thanks for the suggestion.

wywires

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2011, 06:00 pm »
I purchased the original CD release abck in the day, I want to say some 25 years ago, it is outstanding!!! It still sounds as good as if I were in Poland listening live! If I recall correctly, it was Poland ... :thumb:

Actually is was Stockholm, Sweden. I have the original 2 LP version as well as the CD. One of my favorite albums and very well recorded with nightclub sounds in the background...ice cubes, glasses, chatter, etc. This is a great record for testing your system's ability to deliver minute details, ambiance cues, and soundstage. Every time I listen to this record, I wish I spoke Swedish so I could understand what they are talking about inside the club.

jimbones

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2012, 01:06 pm »
Hmmm I'd like to ressurrect this thread. There are sooooo  many versions of JATP out there now. For instance HD tracks 88/24, K2CD, XRCD and a 100/24 mastered CD. Does anyone know which of these will be the best bests for superior sound quality?

TJHUB

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2012, 01:38 pm »
Hmmm I'd like to ressurrect this thread. There are sooooo  many versions of JATP out there now. For instance HD tracks 88/24, K2CD, XRCD and a 100/24 mastered CD. Does anyone know which of these will be the best bests for superior sound quality?

I don't know if you'll find a "best."  It is a really great recording.  I have the XRCD version, and I find it amazing.  I too have worn it out, but I do play it from time to time.  I can vouch for the XRCD version, but I'd be interested in the HDTracks version more. 

johzel

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2012, 01:43 pm »
I have the K2 HD Mastering (24-bit 100 K Hz Mastering) version purchased off of Amazon.  Think I paid like $75 for it.  Great CD - one of my favorites. 

saeyedoc

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2012, 01:47 pm »
Wow, this brings back some memories. I used JATP as a demo CD when looking for my first set of good speakers in the mid-80's (which I still have).

jjc1

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2012, 02:39 pm »
  I think it was recorded in one of the Scandnavian countries.
  Woops! Just saw the post below about Stolkhom.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2012, 04:19 pm »
Excellent instrumental sound and atmosphere.  On vinyl at any rate.

jimbones

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2012, 05:16 pm »
waking this one up. I have both cd and HD tracks version. The cd version is better.  :evil:

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2012, 02:01 pm »
Yeah, the sound is good, but the music and the playing is only adequate. There are just so many other recordings that I want to listen to where the music itself is excellent. After a few listens this one went on the shelf and pretty much stayed there. Same for their follow-up JATPS - II.

jimbones

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2012, 02:26 pm »
Hey BobM can you provide some recommended music (as far as sound quality and muscianship) I'm looking to expand my collection of reference music.  :thumb:

TNRabbit

• TN native languishing in MD
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2012, 02:52 pm »
Hey BobM can you provide some recommended music (as far as sound quality and muscianship) I'm looking to expand my collection of reference music.  :thumb:

Two good ones.  If you can get the SACD, they're better:

The YellowJackets: Time Squared
Spyro Gyra:  The Deep End

jjc1

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2012, 03:45 pm »
Yeah, the sound is good, but the music and the playing is only adequate. There are just so many other recordings that I want to listen to where the music itself is excellent. After a few listens this one went on the shelf and pretty much stayed there. Same for their follow-up JATPS - II.

Right on!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2012, 06:44 pm »
Bones- Give this a shot, Return to The Motherland by Return To Forever.  Lovely sound, mate, and classic RTF in a live and very nicely captured setting.  While Jazz in the Pawnshop is an excellent recording, the jazz is pretty lame, er, perhaps I should say tepid.  I have the original release on Proprius vinyl like some of the guys, I imagine.  Cheers.