Bryston 7B SST Squared----One Pleased Camper

1oldguy

Bryston 7B SST Squared----One Pleased Camper
« on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:13 am »
Now that I am finally getting a chance to use the amps I have to say I am very pleased at the performance of the amps.
I am approaching 25 hours total on them...I do realize they may even get better.
But even at this stage I know now....Finally I did make the right decision way back when I did my research.
It was a leap of faith having not heard them before.
The prof of my pleasure is that I bought the Silverado's(28B sst). 

The bass is fast,and articulate,and comes across in a way that I find very pleasurable.
The highs are both soft with clarity and point point accuracy.
The mids are so natural....and neutral.
I really do find myself in awe of  what Bryston sst Squared offer.....It suits my tastes like a glove.

It's taken me quite some time to have my gear up and running.But now that I am finally getting some time with the amps,I felt that
it was time to say Thank you James and all at Bryston.
When I think of Bryston, I think of a company that's dedicated to getting the purest performance possible.

I can only imagine when I finally get the the Silverado's up and running.I'll never want to leave the house again.

Mag

Re: Bryston 7B SST Squared----One Pleased Camper
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2011, 02:47 am »
I'm glad to hear that you are happy. That was a sad story that you were so disappointed at first.

Was it the speakers or just a learning curve on critical listening?

Yes the SST2 is a great amp. I realized that about 2 weeks after I got my 3B SST2 that it was processing details that other amps miss. 8)

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:15 am »
Well to be straight up abut it......It was a case of not knowing what to look for.
A little green behind the ears I guess you could say,but that was then.

For me to come full circle should be tantamount to the quality of Bryston Amps.
I really enjoy the presentation and have no desire to go elsewhere.
Yes it took a while,but at least I'm here,and very pleased with my Sevens. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm »
So, it was the speakers you were unhappy with, not the Bryston amps.

nomeans

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2011, 07:47 am »

Are you telling him or asking him?

1oldguy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2011, 11:41 am »

Neither to be honest.It was more about myself going through a learning process.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2011, 11:52 am »
Hi old guy

Been there done that :duh: When I was a young teen my dad was into audio and I would always turn the bass up full and the tweeter control down all the way on his receiver and it use to drive him nuts :duh:

James

bjski

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2011, 02:06 pm »
I have had 1 3B amp, 4 of the 4b series amps including the 4 bast/2. After  a conversation with James this past December I purchased the 7sst/2. All I can say is there is no going back. I could only imagine what the 28's sound like.  Enjoy the 7's!...... the music is effortless!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2011, 03:23 pm »
  Well I can tell ya how the 28Bs sound in one word. Complete. No issues, no hype, no Hi Fi sound, effortless, dynamic, harmonically correct, bass in spades.
   Well a few more words were needed. Save your pennies and be done with amp purchases.

charles
SMA

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2011, 05:43 pm »
Hi old guy

"... When I was a young teen my dad was into audio and I would always turn the bass up full and the tweeter control down all the way on his receiver and it use to drive him nuts :duh:"

James

Now the secret is finally out with respect to no tone controls in Bryston pre-amplifiers. If you keep hearing, "James, please stay away from my tone controls" it must stick in after awhile.

:wink: :D

Be well...

SoundGame

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2011, 11:56 pm »
Now the secret is finally out with respect to no tone controls in Bryston pre-amplifiers. If you keep hearing, "James, please stay away from my tone controls" it must stick in after awhile.

;) :D

Be well...

Quite true - if perhaps you are enticed to touch tone controls too much - just eliminate them from the design....ha ha.

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2011, 01:32 am »
When I look at my Bryston Amps I always feel good.Pride of ownership knowing they are true to the spirit of music.
I couldn't be happier though there are fancier.
Performance is what I value most.I realize I have that now.
Just seeing them set up just gives me a great feeling knowing the performance they are offering me.

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:01 pm »
Hi Oldguy,

I came kicking and screaming into the 7BSST2 world right after you.  If memory serves me correctly you have SN's 01843 through 01847 and mine are 01850 and 51.  I was with you and the others all through that multi-hundred post thread and am glad to see you over your anguish.  My tendency was to blame your 802D's and not the amps but my own experience was that the two new sources I bought at the time were the culprits in terms of break in time.  Anyway, all's well that ends well, eh!

Bill
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2011, 08:29 pm by 95Dyna »

1oldguy

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm »
I see your quite pleased as well Bill.At least that's the impression I gather.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:17 am »
Neither to be honest.It was more about myself going through a learning process.

Ok, cool. Sounds good.

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2011, 11:21 pm »
Now that I am finally getting a chance to use the amps I have to say I am very pleased at the performance of the amps.
I am approaching 25 hours total on them...I do realize they may even get better.
But even at this stage I know now....Finally I did make the right decision way back when I did my research.
It was a leap of faith having not heard them before.
The prof of my pleasure is that I bought the Silverado's(28B sst). 

The bass is fast,and articulate,and comes across in a way that I find very pleasurable.
The highs are both soft with clarity and point point accuracy.
The mids are so natural....and neutral.
I really do find myself in awe of  what Bryston sst Squared offer.....It suits my tastes like a glove.

It's taken me quite some time to have my gear up and running.But now that I am finally getting some time with the amps,I felt that
it was time to say Thank you James and all at Bryston.
When I think of Bryston, I think of a company that's dedicated to getting the purest performance possible.

I can only imagine when I finally get the the Silverado's up and running.I'll never want to leave the house again.

So what are the amps you have, the 7B-SST2 or the 28B-SST2? I'm confused as the thread title says 7B-SST2 but you mention buying 28B-SST2   :scratch:

What are your speakers?

Glad to hear you are enjoying them.

Thanks,

Rod

1oldguy

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2011, 02:26 am »
So what are the amps you have, the 7B-SST2 or the 28B-SST2? I'm confused as the thread title says 7B-SST2 but you mention buying 28B-SST2   :scratch:

What are your speakers?

Glad to hear you are enjoying them.

Thanks
Rod

Hi Rod......

I am using 7B SST Squared.
I also did buy the 28's(Silverado's) recently(Though still factory sealed at this point.
As for speakers the the 28's will be partnered with the B&W 802D,previous version.

Rod_S

« Reply #17 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:39 am »
Thanks. OMG! 28B's for the 802D's, you do realize your amps cost more than your speakers  :green: I can't wait to hear your comments about how the 7's compare to the 28's for a speaker rated at less than the output of the 7's, let alone the 28's. I have the new gen 802 Diamonds and currently use a 4B-SST to power them so your comments will be most interesting. With so much extra power I wonder if it will be a night and day difference or very, very subtle due to the speakers 500 watt rating. I would really like to get a pair of 7's down the road, 28's crossed my mind but for me personally I just can't spend more on the amp than the speakers. If I had the 800 Diamonds it would be 28's all the way and with a speaker rated at 1000 watts the match with 28's seems ideal.

So are you keeipng the 7's or selling them? If you are keeping them, here's a thought, bi-amp, use the 7's for the HF/MF and the 28's for the BF.  :thumb:

Rod

1oldguy

« Reply #18 on: 7 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm »
Hi Rod

I will give my impressions for sure.I will also do an unboxing vid,since there are so little of them.
I am curious as well if you ever did hear the previous version of the 802D.....compared to the latest version that you have.If so
what are your thoughts regarding the two?

Dandy

« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2011, 06:18 pm »
How long did you own the 7B's for? I like the name silverados for the 28's.