BDP-1/BDA-1 combo arriving on Friday

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
BDP-1/BDA-1 combo arriving on Friday
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 06:47 pm »
My new units are arriving on Friday and will go into the system immediately.   :thumb:

I have a couple of questions for James and others:

How many hours do I need to get on them for break in?

Any recommendations on AES/EBU cable?  I am looking at DH Labs, Morrow Audio, WyWires, and PAD

Any recommendations on power cords?  Will initially use the Kaplan Cable w/ 3 amp filter in Copper that I used on the Modwright Transporter.

Thanks,

George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1/BDA-1 combo arriving on Friday
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 06:56 pm »
My new units are arriving on Friday and will go into the system immediately.   :thumb:

Any recommendations on AES/EBU cable?  I am looking at DH Labs, Morrow Audio, WyWires, and PAD

Any recommendations on power cords?  Will initially use the Kaplan Cable w/ 3 amp filter in Copper that I used on the Modwright Transporter.

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

Make sure the AES/EBU cable is 110 ohms.

james

jjc1

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2011, 08:10 pm »

Thanks,

George
  Kimber Orchid AES/EBU. I USE THESE ON BDA1. VERYY NICE. I POSED THE QUESTION CONCERNING THE BDP1 ON THIS FORUM. CHECK IT OUT FOR RESPONSES.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:17 pm »
James,
The one I'm sending George to try is the DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU.  It is named for its 110 ohm characteristic.  It's a relatively inexpensive AES/EBU cable that performs way above its weight class IMO.  I also put a Stereovox HDXV 75 ohm bnc-bnc (with rca adapters for those inclined) S/PDIF cable in the box.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm »
James,
The one I'm sending George to try is the DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU.  It is named for its 110 ohm characteristic.  It's a relatively inexpensive AES/EBU cable that performs way above its weight class IMO.  I also put a Stereovox HDXV 75 ohm bnc-bnc (with rca adapters for those inclined) S/PDIF cable in the box.

Thanks Ted.   :thumb: :thumb:

George

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm »
>>How many hours do I need to get on them for break in?<<

I commented on this before somewhere. The BDA-1 kept getting better and better. So I would give it about 200 hours before being too critical of the sound. I also leave mine on all the time. 8)

werd

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:57 pm »
George

Good job, so proud of you  :thumb:

Check out the Harmonix and Wywire power cables. I am using the Harmonix X-DC2 on my bda and wywires on my bdp. The Harmonix pc is very analytical. Its fleshes out all the cymbal and high frequency info but the bda keeps it musical. I am not sure how well that cable would work on just any gear due to its analytical characteristics but the bda loves it. Its a nice cable brand for the bda.

The wywires is too. The cable signature on all his stuff works good with Bryston. If the Harmonix over energizes the bda the wywires tames it up. Assuming that you have the gear downstream to hear this (saying you do is an understatement)

Those two cables work great together and you should check them out if you can.

On the xlr front the Wywires xlr is my fav. On the rca the 75ohm Atlas opus is my fav but the wywires is respectfully close. The xlr in wywires gives you all that voltage drive that opens up the soundstage and you get the wywires cymbal signatures and nice treble tone from it. It doesn't break up the prat like most digital cables do. The Atlas opus is great rca too. You lose the voltage drive off the xlr but it has such nice vibe to its hard to give up. You need a bnc connect on the Atlas. I can get you a good bnc adaptor one and mail it to you if you want. 

terrycym

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:55 pm »
Hi Werd,

You're finding differences if you use different mains cables with the BDP-1 then?

Terry

werd

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:47 pm »
Hi Werd,

You're finding differences if you use different mains cables with the BDP-1 then?

Terry

Yes

saveloy

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:17 pm »
I use different cables on both the BDP & BDA.  In my experience, everything just sounds that bit cleaner.

Kyri

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:16 pm »
Looks like the Absolute Sound reviewer liked the S/PDIF output better than the AES, but not sure what cables used (simply says Empirical Design cables in sidebar).  Many reviews are saying the opposite, and Bryston has been quoted as liking the AES better too, so clearly YMMV.  ;)

werd

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:38 pm »
George

Today is the big day !!!!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:41 pm »
George

Today is the big day !!!!

Just waiting for FedEx to show up.

Hopefully it should be in the next hour or two.

George

werd

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:44 pm »
Just waiting for FedEx to show up.

Hopefully it should be in the next hour or two.

George

Try not to be on the crapper when they show up, you'll just end up running down the street with your pants below your knees yelling " stop, ! I'm here I'm here!!!!

saveloy

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:50 pm »
George,

Step away from the window and take a seat. You have a doorbell - he'll use it!

Kyri

BrysTony

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2011, 03:55 pm »
George,

Step away from the window and take a seat. You have a doorbell - he'll use it!

Kyri

Better check the doorbell to be sure that it is working properly.   :D

Tony

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:31 pm »
As usual I'm confused.   :duh:  What's the difference of the two units? 

werd

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:34 pm »

The bdp lets you attach files by using usb sticks or harddrives to the dac. You attach the memory right to the bdp. The bdp reads the memory hirez or redbook and sends it to the dac(bda). No computer is need to control the bdp but most use a computer to see the files on the bdp and construct playlists. The bdp can be hooked up to the comp by way of ethernet.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:37 pm »
The bdp lets you attach files by using usb sticks or harddrives to the dac. You attach the memory right to the bdp. The bdp reads the memory hirez or redbook and sends it to the dac(bda). No computer is need to control the bdp but most use a computer to see the files on the bdp and construct playlists. The bdp can be hooked up to the comp by way of ethernet.

Ahh OK.  ~$4k for the pair?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2011, 05:38 pm »

BDP-1 (P for player).  is a Linux front end player, like the Alix/Auraliti, etc..that you attach USB drives to.  Needs a back end DAC.
BDA-1 (DA for DAC)  is the multi-interface digital analog converter that the BDP (or any other digital source) attachs to.

And street price is $3500 ish for pair.