Recap for my Vandersteen 2W SW?

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Recap for my Vandersteen 2W SW?
« on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:10 pm »
It is a very old unit, still working fine, but it’s more than 25 years old, so I wonder if it would be advisable to do it. I have taken  the amplifier module out though there was a fuse issue a few years ago and lately took a look again. All the electrolytic caps seem fine, no bulging or leaks. The most difficult task would be the separation of the board itself from the metal chassis/ heatsink platform and was wondering if anyone here has done this for some orientation. Thanks!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Recap for my Vandersteen 2W SW?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2020, 03:09 pm »
The most important tool you need in doing capacitor replacement/upgrade in any audio component is a Capacitor Meter.

The value of a given capacitor is the actual value it is, NOT the value printed on its label!

For example, a 10uF 10% torerance capacitor could be anywhere between 9uF and 11uF and be consider to be in spec.  However if one was actually 9uF and the matching one for the other channel was 11uF, then you would have a 20% channel to channel difference and you would certainly hear the difference.

Use the meter and install capacitors with tightly matched pairs for each channel and each capacitor you intend to replace in audio circuits to keep both channels the same.  Not as critical for power supply capacitors.

I note reading many subjective capacitor listening tests here at AC and rarely see any mention of using a capacitor meter to measure actual value of the parts being tested. To me, not using this critical tool is like doing performance tire tests without using a pressure gauge.

Just saying.

Keep healthy everyone.

Frank