Bicycling Off-Road

JoshK

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #940 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:28 am »
That is a minimum speed, min trajectory hit....no less than fully committing.

JoshK

« Reply #941 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:32 am »
I have never felt good jumping my 29'er....it just doesn't feel right.  Even with a 26'er, it is less than familiar, but it is very doable.  I really don't think I like my 29'er and am thinking of selling it. 

coke

« Reply #942 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:33 am »
Yeah, and it's built with no lip because there's a turn not far after and it's easy to over jump on dirtbikes.  We did a few test runs leading up to it, and then my friend who is just a little crazy decided to go for it.  He cleared it, with the rear wheel about 6" from the top of the landing.

After he made it, i decided to give it a try and thankfully cleared the gap.   Not long after my friend wrecked on a different jump and broke his arm, so we haven't had a chance to get any of our bigger jumps on video.

coke

« Reply #943 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:35 am »
I have never felt good jumping my 29'er....it just doesn't feel right.  Even with a 26'er, it is less than familiar, but it is very doable.  I really don't think I like my 29'er and am thinking of selling it.

The Yelli Screamy feels very natural in the air, especially if you drop the seat low.   I'm used to 200 pound dirt bikes, so maybe 29ers don't bother me as much as most people.

JoshK

« Reply #944 on: 8 Aug 2012, 02:37 am »
I'm sure its a matter of getting used to, but my GF X-cal, which is somewhat similar, although maybe not quite as agressive geometry just feels off for me.   For some that might be ok, but not to me.   It just feels too big...

Jumping a FS bike is another thing that takes getting use to, as it zaps all your pre-jump.  You have to preload which is a whole other concept.  That is why I got the DJ'er. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #945 on: 8 Aug 2012, 05:10 am »
The Yelli Screamy feels very natural in the air, especially if you drop the seat low.   I'm used to 200 pound dirt bikes, so maybe 29ers don't bother me as much as most people.

Yeah, there's a guy around here who is a pro moto rider and I've seen him do some crazy stuff on a 5" travel 29er. He can also lunge it up onto a 4' tall rock, trials style. I'd like to get a moto someday.

Winter Park has one large table with a long landing marked at 35, 45, and 55 feet. I usually come down somewhere between 45 and 55 mark. That run has about 1200' vertical and 80 jumps. I just got my jump technique down to the point I'm not dead sailoring every time, jumping takes a LOT of practice...

JoshK

« Reply #946 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm »
Want to see a good crash?
http://vimeo.com/47135442

JoshK

« Reply #947 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm »
Here is the video I eluded to earlier with the guy who sold me to TranceX giving a demo of doing a zap-tap.

http://vimeo.com/14865786

coke

« Reply #948 on: 8 Aug 2012, 12:49 pm »
Want to see a good crash?
http://vimeo.com/47135442

A friend of mine did something similar off the end of a teeter totter not long ago.  He landed in some soft moss, so i just laughed at him  :icon_twisted:

Levi

« Reply #949 on: 8 Aug 2012, 01:14 pm »
Congrats on a new DJ bike Josh! 

JoshK

« Reply #950 on: 10 Aug 2012, 02:06 am »
A friend of mine did something similar off the end of a teeter totter not long ago.  He landed in some soft moss, so i just laughed at him  :icon_twisted:

That one hurt...my shoulder suffered some damage...same one I did in when skiing as a kid (~20yo).   Have to go to the doc to see if it is minor or major.    Still hurts quite a bit to do macro movements some 4 days later.

But I still like to laugh at myself.   That was a stupid stunt and yes I should have expected to fall.   Still I am ballsy enough to risk it, so I have to accept the pain with a no-go.

JoshK

« Reply #951 on: 11 Aug 2012, 01:23 am »
Stay tuned....I pulled the trigger on my dream build...  May thin the herd, but this build will not be cheap.   I don't really care though, its a healthy hobby.   At least when I am not falling off 4' bridges that is...

mcgsxr

« Reply #952 on: 11 Aug 2012, 02:05 am »
Always fun picking up a new ride, hope the healing goes well!

I am still receiving parts for my build, it is coming together well, looking forward to getting back in the saddle.

JoshK

« Reply #953 on: 11 Aug 2012, 02:16 am »
Which would you choose between the two, if price isn't a major decision?

Formula RXO brakes with tool free reach adjustment, 180mm Front Rotor, 160mm Rear Rotor
Magura RT8

I'd get the RT8s at a discount, but still a bit more.   I asked for the Magura Marta SLs based on reviews, but they didn't have them so they offered the RT8s for similar price.   I am more of a light AM rider then XC.    I don't have access to many downhill runs, Ontario is flat, but it is a bunch of  small steep up/downs.  I do drops, I do balls out.   

chip

« Reply #954 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:24 am »
A new toy...  :icon_lol:  local guy was selling it dirt cheap (pun?) and I have wanted a bike that I could practice manuals, and other stunts on, that is easier to feel than FS.  Plus we have a pump track/DJ track next to our single track.

What bike it this?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #955 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:37 am »
Which would you choose between the two, if price isn't a major decision?

Formula RXO brakes with tool free reach adjustment, 180mm Front Rotor, 160mm Rear Rotor
Magura RT8

I'd get the RT8s at a discount, but still a bit more.   I asked for the Magura Marta SLs based on reviews, but they didn't have them so they offered the RT8s for similar price.   I am more of a light AM rider then XC.    I don't have access to many downhill runs, Ontario is flat, but it is a bunch of  small steep up/downs.  I do drops, I do balls out.

I've had Magura Gustavs and Louise FR (long ago), both great brakes and Magura CS is great, if you need anything you'll have it in 3 days if you call them. No questions, they just ship you whatever you need... I even told them I got my Gustavs from a friend and they were a few seasons old, they covered me under warranty anyway.

I have never owned Formulas but several friends do and they like them. My only gripe w/ Formula is the brake line routing to the outside of the caliper using a non-custom hose end. If you compare it to Avid's solution on the Elixirs the Formulas look primitive by comparison, and one friend did break off the line at the caliper because of it.

I'm using Elixir CRs on both my bikes, they are pretty good. Very similar design vs Formula.

JoshK

« Reply #956 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:27 am »
What bike it this?

That is the dirt jumper I picked up for pocket change (relatively speaking).  Specialized P3.  The thing about DJ'ers are they are heavy, so it was a bit of a shock to pick it up.  The fork is a brick. 

JoshK

« Reply #957 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:49 am »
I put the deposit down on the "dream-yet-to-be-revealed" bike, everything gets ordered up on Monday.  I was told that I could be riding by next weekend, if not the following at the latest. 

I went ahead with the Magura MT8s cause they are well reviewed (some were pushing for XTR, but most thought the Maguras were tops too) and the bike shop gave me the MT8s for the price of the MT6s.  (same internals, just the carbon levers). 

I got an XT group on this bike, except that I got the XTR Shadow+ rear derailleur, again they threw that in no charge, same as the XT group set.  The idea was light enough but durable.  The Shadow plus is suppose to be a near game changer on an AM bike.  One of the bike shop boys peaked at my build and out of all the crazy stuff I had, he was like, "right on for going for the Shadow+!" 

The RS Reverb is going on this bike. 

That is all I am revealing for now.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm by JoshK »

coke

« Reply #958 on: 14 Aug 2012, 01:34 am »
First ride on my new tires today. I couldn't believe the difference. It was like my bike had a motor  :lol:   For the trail I rode today, there was still more than enough traction  I'll have to wait for the weekend for a true test.

Tubeless on flow rims with DT hubs

Previous:
Front - Panracer Rampage 2.35
Rear - Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO

New:
Front - Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 EXO
Rear - Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXO

JoshK

« Reply #959 on: 14 Aug 2012, 04:50 pm »
Tires seem to make a pretty big difference.  Tubeless does too. 

Our local "the Don" is a hard clay based mud.   Racing ralphs work awesome when it is dry and nothing works when it is wet.