Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?
« Reply #460 on: 28 Jul 2019, 06:29 pm »
Hi

No because SACD requires a whole different circuit and is not optimized for Redbook CD 44.1/16Bit performance.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #461 on: 23 Aug 2019, 08:26 pm »
Hi folks!

I have a question for all you BCD-3 owners out there.

How do you like the functionality of this player?

By functionality, I mean the following:

- quietness during operation
- disc loading time
- responsiveness of the controls; for example, does the player react immediately when you press >>I or <<I several times or does it take it's time?
- are there CDs you are having problems with

Comparisons to other CD players you might have are welcome.

BCD-3 is a good sounding player but I am wondering how good is it mechanically. Online reviews seem to be vague on this particular topic.

Thanks a lot to any and all who decide they have something to contribute.

Cheers!
Antun

RandyH

« Reply #462 on: 23 Aug 2019, 09:51 pm »
My BCD-3 loads quickly, the door seems substantial and the player is totally silent during play.  The responsiveness to commands is about the same as I have experienced with other players.  The only possible operational quibble I might have is that my player does seem to be a little less tolerant of dirty or smudged CDs than other players I have had.  The instances of this occurring are rare but it does happen more frequently than other players.  I have yet to run across a CD that would not play after a cursory cleaning though.  I don't use the player nearly as regularly as I did before I started streaming but when I do it's operation is near perfect and the sound is great.  I do wish it had a dedicated remote control.  I use a universal remote which is ok but a product like the BCD-3 should have it's own remote control included.  I am sure there are plenty of people like me who use the BCD-3 in a system of mixed components and they shouldn't have to buy the expensive Bryston remote or have to use a universal.  This just seems odd to me.

thorman

« Reply #463 on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:23 am »
  Totally agree with RandyH.......Great Player  I have owned a few months and working very well, but at the asking price, it should include some sort of Remote ( no excuses ) .

R. Daneel

« Reply #464 on: 24 Aug 2019, 04:29 pm »
Thanks felas!

Anyone else?

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #465 on: 24 Aug 2019, 04:53 pm »
Another general agreement with RandyH.

Left unstated is the effect a single clock has on decreasing jitter.  The DAC uses the same chips (2) and input-output philosophy of the Bryston BDA-3 DAC. The player mechanism, IMO, is excellent, and provides impeccable "audio out" smoothness - -the best I've experienced to date.  (It can be replaced, if necessary, and Bryston has spares in stock.  It's the best CD spinner I've ever tried or owned.

I have an extensive  classical CD collection, and haven't had any trouble with misfeeds. You have to be precise in loading the CD to be certain it's properly seated; however, that quickly becomes second nature. 

I'm in total agreement: Bryston should provide a dedicated remote for this CD Player.  I have one if their "One model fits all" metal brick remotes, and I have it set up for my BCD-3; however, it's a royal PITA to use if, like me, you have less-than-perfect eyesight. ( Like other owners, i also use a third-party remote.)

Hope this helps,

George

R. Daneel

« Reply #466 on: 25 Aug 2019, 07:48 pm »
Another general agreement with RandyH.

Left unstated is the effect a single clock has on decreasing jitter.  The DAC uses the same chips (2) and input-output philosophy of the Bryston BDA-3 DAC. The player mechanism, IMO, is excellent, and provides impeccable " out" smoothness - -the best I've experienced to date.  (It can be replaced, if necessary, and Bryston has spares in stock.  It's the best CD spinner I've ever tried or owned.

I have an extensive  classical CD collection, and haven't had any trouble with misfeeds. You have to be precise in loading the CD to be certain it's properly seated; however, that quickly becomes second nature. 

I'm in total agreement: Bryston should provide a dedicated remote for this CD Player.  I have one if their "One model fits all" metal brick remotes, and I have it set up for my BCD-3; however, it's a royal PITA to use if, like me, you have less-than-perfect eyesight. ( Like other owners, i also use a third-party remote.)

Hope this helps,

George

It does help George! Thank you very much!

When you say the mechanism is the best one you've used, to what other players are you comparing it to?

Cheers!
Antun

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #467 on: 25 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm »
Anton,

I've either used or owned: SonyDVP 9000ES; NAD 512; Onkyo DX 708; Phillips CD 60;Carver (can't remember the model number.  Plus a Cambridge CD transport-only.
IMO, the transport used by Bryston is excellent. It's metal throughout, rather than having plastic parts. They buy the transport from an Austrian manufacturer:  It's a StreamUnlimited JPL-2800 transport with a very nice and smooth running drawer.

Cheers

George

R. Daneel

« Reply #468 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:52 pm »
Anton,

I've either used or owned: SonyDVP 9000ES; NAD 512; Onkyo DX 708; Phillips CD 60;Carver (can't remember the model number.  Plus a Cambridge CD transport-only.
IMO, the transport used by Bryston is excellent. It's metal throughout, rather than having plastic parts. They buy the transport from an Austrian manufacturer:  It's a StreamUnlimited JPL-2800 transport with a very nice and smooth running drawer.

Cheers

George

Hi George!

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

If the BCD-3 mechanism is as good as the Sony and Onkyo you've mentioned, then it is good!

Cheers!
Antun

P.S. Did you like the Cambridge CD transport? Was it the CXC or some other earlier model?

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #469 on: 26 Aug 2019, 06:07 pm »
It was the CXC, and I used it with my BDA-3 DAC

R. Daneel

« Reply #470 on: 26 Aug 2019, 06:47 pm »
It was the CXC, and I used it with my BDA-3 DAC

Was it any good?

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #471 on: 26 Aug 2019, 08:12 pm »
It was Ok. I used it with the BDA-3 for several months until my BCD-3 finally arrived. The drawer was slightly noisy, but the transport, per se, worked OK. 

I'd bought the BDA-3 with the idea of using it with transports of CD players, as several CD players offered a transport option, bypassing the player's internal DAC.

The combination of the "BDA-3 Junior." the single master clock for the transport and DAC  and the transport itself is what sold me on the BCD-3.

(For DAC comparison, I fed the transport of the BCD-3 to the BDA-3.  No discernible difference.)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #472 on: 26 Aug 2019, 09:55 pm »

(For DAC comparison, I fed the transport of the BCD-3 to the BDA-3.  No discernible difference.)

Interesting, but not surprising.

My BCD-1 feeds a BDA-3 as transport (AES) and it sounds more spacious and engrossing than the -1 feeding my preamp directly.

I believe that the BDA-3 got me two for the price of one, in my system.
 :thumb:

gbaby

« Reply #473 on: 27 Aug 2019, 07:50 pm »

I believe that the BDA-3 got me two for the price of one, in my system.
 :thumb:

It did, indeed. Since, I am rediscovering stereo, I've learned to appreciate just how good the BDA3 is in my setup. Wow!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #474 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:49 pm »
It did, indeed. Since, I am rediscovering stereo, I've learned to appreciate just how good the BDA3 is in my setup. Wow!

+1
It really surpassed my BDA-1 in ways that surprised me; it took a few weeks to "sink in". Confirmed that old lesson: i gotta live with a new piece for a few wks, to really hear its true attributes, rather than doing quick comparisons over a few hrs.

Not sure why, as I don't believe in "burn in" of DACs. But let's not go there.

The Rang

« Reply #475 on: 28 Aug 2019, 01:09 am »
Can anyone hear differences between these transports?
I’m using a Cambridge CXU to feed my BDA3 and recently bought a Sony UBP-X800 on clearance as a back up.
I have fears that some day the CXU will crap out and I’ll need something that outputs DSD from HDMI.
But, and maybe it’s just my imagination (and if not perhaps a break in period?) the Sony doesn’t sound as quite as good.
Need to do more critical comparisons, but curious about what others here have experienced

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #476 on: 28 Aug 2019, 01:58 am »
Probably a partial answer to your question:

The CXu is a blu ray player, while the CXC is a CD-only transport, with no capabilities for DVD or SACD; however, it has been specifically designed to reproduce RedBook 16/44.1 - - and does it very well, indeed - - especially for its price. 

I have my CXC on the shelf, as a backup to the BCD-3, in the remote event something goes South with the BCD-3.

IMO, a CXC > BDA-3 combination is a very good one.

George
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2019, 01:42 am by gberger »

kaufman

• I love music and audio :)
« Reply #477 on: 28 Aug 2019, 12:39 pm »
Great information on this great. Thank you all.

Silverbullet

« Reply #478 on: 29 Aug 2019, 01:51 am »
CanadianMaestro did you keep your BDA1?  I’ve got both a 1 and a 3 and am running out of inputs on the BDA3 and thinking of using the BDA1 with it’s digital output connected to the BDA3. The manual claims the digital input is unaltered to the digital output, have you tried this at all?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #479 on: 29 Aug 2019, 06:14 pm »
Silverbullet, no I haven't tried it. Not sure what the benefits would be, of cascading digital outputs like that. But try it. Would be interested to know how the SQ is affected.

I still have -1, it is off the rack now.

Edit: I think you're better off connecting directly your primary sources to one or the other DAC, not both cascaded. You may have to trim the herd if you have more sources than input jacks.