Modest Cost Speaker Wire Recommendation

Doublej

Modest Cost Speaker Wire Recommendation
« on: 1 Nov 2023, 11:03 am »
Hobbs, Danny,

When a customer needs a more modestly priced or easier to assemble speaker wire than your 16 or 24 strand wires, what do you recommend to them?

paolocaminiti

Re: Modest Cost Speaker Wire Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2023, 02:22 pm »
I switched from DNM to the GR cable, these are both solid core copper but the DNM is just a single core: they have the same level of detail and similar sound staging in my system but the DNM loses a lot of weight and deep bass so it really depends on what speaker you are looking to drive. There may be other solid core copper options out there.

Currently using Duelund bare wire, which I consider mid expensive, they sound good but less hi-fi than the GR - but they have a way to be pleasant. Same for blue jeans which I suppose is the reference for a budget cable.

T4Man

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2023, 04:03 pm »
Second for Blue Jeans. The Canare 4S11 is a decent cable for $2.30 per foot.

jandrews

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2023, 04:29 pm »
I've had good success with the Supra Rondo available in various configuration.  I use the 2-wire 13awg version called "2.5"
bought the raw cable and terminations from Madisound and made some 20' speaker cables
http://www.jenving.com/datasheets/en/Speaker-cables/Round-twisted/rondo-2x2_5-datasheet-en.pdf
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-rondo-2x2.5mm-speaker-wire-per-foot-13-awg/

RonP

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2023, 04:55 pm »

+1

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2023, 08:34 pm »
+1

+2  When I go up from there I go the the GR cables. I'm buying Blue Jeans speaker cables for the system I'm setting up for my 19 year old grandson.

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2023, 12:00 pm »
+3 Blue Jeans.  You might also consider Benchmark Media.  They use Canare Star Quad with locking bananas but with a nice sheath that Blue Jeans does not have available.  They are about double the cost of BJC but still relatively modest compared to the insanity that is cable / IC prices.

mkane

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2023, 04:20 pm »
While on this topic, who uses what when connecting H-frame subs to a Rythmic plate amp?

emailtim

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2023, 05:45 am »

FWIW, PerformanceAudio.com has Canare 4S11 for $1.44 per foot in black and gray jackets.

Black: https://www.performanceaudio.com/products/canare-4s11-star-quad-speaker-cable-black

Gray: https://www.performanceaudio.com/products/canare-4s11-star-quad-speaker-cable-gray

They also have Canare 4S11G (OFC) for $2.05 per foot and 4S8 for $0.75 per foot.

https://www.performanceaudio.com/collections/canare-speaker-cable?count=48

emailtim

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2023, 06:04 am »
While on this topic, who uses what when connecting H-frame subs to a Rythmic plate amp?

Danny recommends using the existing wires on the servo amp and not extending their length (keep the amps close to the subs).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2023, 12:19 pm »
Supra Classic.

KTS

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2023, 10:36 pm »

Existing wire with Neutrik connectors.

Jaytor

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2023, 02:00 am »

I shortened the wires from the amps so they are just long enough to reach the connectors on the amp box, and used Neotech solid core UP-OCC to wire the subs.

RonP

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2023, 02:13 pm »
I shortened the wires from the amps so they are just long enough to reach the connectors on the amp box, and used Neotech solid core UP-OCC to wire the subs.

What gauge? I find myself with some extra UP-OCC on hand.

Jaytor

« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2023, 03:18 pm »
What gauge? I find myself with some extra UP-OCC on hand.

I used 12 gauge for the voice coils and 14 gauge for the servo coils.