The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #400 on: 16 Jul 2018, 06:50 pm »
https://www.accessories4less.com/

They sell refurb products. They have good pricing on AVRs, although stock does vary. All Marantz models have preouts.

For an inexpensive processor check out Outlaw audio.

Wow! Thanks WC,

I just found this Integra 7.2 receiver for $200.00. Integra is designed for custom installers so this receiver has 7.2 pre outs which is fantastic for the price. It upscales to 1080P but I'm wondering if it will pass thru 4k? I would think so but I'm not sure about that.

What a great site for setting up a system on a tight budget. For me, I'm just not that into TV or surround sound but for this kind of money I might as well set a system up.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr304/integra-dtr-30.4-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!more

SoCalWJS

« Reply #401 on: 16 Jul 2018, 07:30 pm »
https://www.accessories4less.com/

They sell refurb products. They have good pricing on AVRs, although stock does vary. All Marantz models have preouts.

For an inexpensive processor check out Outlaw audio.
Yeah, surfed their website before (when I was contemplating a new Pre/Pro s couple of years back) and doing it again for this project. Did some research on them and while most had good things to say about them, I read a few horror stories. Causes me to pause and contemplate other options. Nearest Magnolia is 100 miles away. Not sure a standard Best Buy has knowledgeable staff and/or access to stock that could point me in the best direction.

Still gotta figure out how I could get all of this to easily work. Thought about just swapping out speaker cables, but that doesn't work either. Still plotting.

para7452

« Reply #402 on: 21 Jul 2018, 06:10 am »
I had an Onkyo Integra back in 1988. It was excellent. It rocked the military barracks in Germany. And now we have moved on. This is the Super 7 area. So what is going on with Super 7 updates? I love me some V1 and Super V action, but what the hell? Baffles? Dimensions? Capacitor values? You know, that sort of thing. Danny. What's up?

para7452

« Reply #403 on: 21 Jul 2018, 04:34 pm »
Okay, before anyone calls me out on that, I definitely need to apologize. I was in a strange place last night, and am very sorry.

I'm looking forward to more information on hopefully converting my V1s to Super 7s with the new baffles and drivers, there hasn't been much movement on that as of late.

So I beg forgiveness for my outburst. All audio ideas get us closer to "IT". Audio Grail.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #404 on: 21 Jul 2018, 05:39 pm »
Okay, before anyone calls me out on that, I definitely need to apologize. I was in a strange place last night, and am very sorry.

I'm looking forward to more information on hopefully converting my V1s to Super 7s with the new baffles and drivers, there hasn't been much movement on that as of late.

So I beg forgiveness for my outburst. All audio ideas get us closer to "IT". Audio Grail.

Don't feel bad, I was a little annoyed too ;) 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #405 on: 21 Jul 2018, 06:51 pm »
Don't feel bad, the thread definitely took a turn for awhile. It happens sometimes and it was helpful to several of us.

Boy, those Super 7s sure are nice speakers :thumb: I just wish there was a way I could convert my Super Vs but it just won't work.

Danny Richie

« Reply #406 on: 24 Jul 2018, 10:40 pm »
I have been working with new Super-7 baffles for the last few days and I finally have a version that produces a nice response and can be CNC milled from a single baffle with no protruding wave guide for the tweeter. So it will be a lot easier to make and will look cleaner.

I think this is going to work fellows. I can at some point release this design as a kit if the CNC flat packs from Jay are used.

Next Jay will have to replicate what I have here and I'll have to measure and test the baffle to confirm everything.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #407 on: 24 Jul 2018, 10:45 pm »
I have been working with new Super-7 baffles for the last few days and I finally have a version that produces a nice response and can be CNC milled from a single baffle with no protruding wave guide for the tweeter. So it will be a lot easier to make and will look cleaner.

I think this is going to work fellows. I can at some point release this design as a kit if the CNC flat packs from Jay are used.

Next Jay will have to replicate what I have here and I'll have to measure and test the baffle to confirm everything.

Woot!  Sounds like more people are going to be able to experience the Super 7 goodness :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #408 on: 25 Jul 2018, 02:29 am »

Yup,  pretty  close  as is with latest models  ....

jay

SteveKi

« Reply #409 on: 25 Jul 2018, 02:55 pm »

Do you have any pictures?
Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #410 on: 25 Jul 2018, 03:25 pm »
It'll be very similar to this....

jay

gab

« Reply #411 on: 25 Jul 2018, 04:23 pm »
What kind of wings are going to be attached (if any) and what is approximate dimension of the baffle? Thx

gab

Captainhemo

« Reply #412 on: 25 Jul 2018, 04:48 pm »
Wings will be similar to the  top of the  original Super 7's.   That baffle  is  roughly 700 x  330 mm  (not including the little  arc at the top)

jay
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2018, 03:56 pm by Captainhemo »

Danny Richie

« Reply #413 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:05 pm »
What kind of wings are going to be attached (if any) and what is approximate dimension of the baffle? Thx

gab

The side wings look like the production Super 7 just chopped off above the servo subs. The lengths of the sides and the asymmetrical top to bottom design works really well. The Neo 10's produce a super smooth response and roll off.

Here is the latest test baffle. The center section where the tweeter mounts is removable so it can be altered easily or swapped in an out with another one for testing. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #414 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:27 pm »
So can this sit on top of a dual 12 H-frame like the NX-Otica MTMs?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #415 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:46 pm »
This is very exciting and at the same time frustrating. 

I'm really enjoying my Mini Stratas especially now that I have some decent amps to drive them. (VTA M125 monoblocks)   Rereading this thread has got me thinking about selling my minis to pay for the Super7 baffles. 
But it's tough selling a speaker nobody's heard of.  Not to mention they are ridiculously heavy!  First world problems, I know.

It would be nice to add the Super7 baffles to my OB subs.  Would tidy up my listening room for sure. 

Looking at the original Super7's it appears the upper baffle is as tall or taller than the sub section.  Doesn't that raise the tweeter way up over the listening position?  Would a lower base for the baffle help at all?

Captainhemo

« Reply #416 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:46 pm »
So can this sit on top of a dual 12 H-frame like the NX-Otica MTMs?

Yup.
for guys  who don't  already  have subs,  I've been    working the idea of  having these drop  directly on the  top of  one of our modular sections or possibly  having  a different  top  for   the non modular  duals,  .

Corndog,   I'm betting you'll like the  tweeter in the  waveguide up a bit, lifts the soundstage to a  more  relilistic  level like the  NX  series.  The off axis  performance is exellent.   Looks  a  little  "wierd"  at  first but I  haven't  heard  any  negatives from  anyone  running the   NX  series speakers

jay
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2018, 03:59 am by Captainhemo »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #417 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:05 pm »
Yeah, I certainly don't need all the bells & whistles for an HT receiver. I do need the pre outs and 4k/HDR pass through as a minimum. Room correction and extended Bass management and a big bonus. Have to do some research. Everything handles at least DTS MA & Dolby equivalent. I don't need more than 7.1/7.2. No need for much power. Have to do some research. Good sound is a must, but they are all fairly similar IMO.

I did some research - looked at Denon's current lineup, and you have to start spending some pretty serious money before Pre outs show up.

Hoping to hear good news this week on a separate matter which would make this much easier........ :popcorn:
Still trying to figure out how to swing this - a simple enough solution that my wife can turn everything on/off simply with a single remote for HT, and not having to undo/redo all my connections for 2 channel.

I'm wondering if anybody here can answer some questions on AVR's or best to post on the HT subforum (or AVS for that matter)

First one would be on how your basic AVR with preouts works - If I run front L/R via RCA preouts, can I leave the other channels connected to the speaker terminals  for center & surrounds and allow the AVR to supply power to them? Is there any delay?

:scratch:

I'm still seeing the only solution as completely disconnecting the RCA's from the AVR and connecting a separate set from 2 channel rig every time I want to listen to 2 channel (my ModWright LS100 needs to be on in order for the HT bypass to wok - the hours on the tubes would add up very quick. We watch LOTS of TV. Also have to run the main amp an awful lot). That would be a PITA.....

WC

« Reply #418 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:25 pm »
If you run the front L/R via RCA preouts,  you can I leave the other channels connected to the speaker terminals  for center & surrounds and allow the AVR to supply power to them. That is not a problem. I am running like this currently until I finish all my amp builds. There is not any delay as long as the AVR has been setup properly. During set up of the AVR the distances and levels are determined and the delays are set for the channels.

If you want to not run your preamp unless you are not listening to 2 channel music, I would use another set of speakers to use with multichannel/TV watching instead of plugging/unplugging cables regularly. You then have 4 main speakers, which also may not be best for domestic bliss.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #419 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:39 pm »
If you run the front L/R via RCA preouts,  you can I leave the other channels connected to the speaker terminals  for center & surrounds and allow the AVR to supply power to them. That is not a problem. I am running like this currently until I finish all my amp builds. There is not any delay as long as the AVR has been setup properly. During set up of the AVR the distances and levels are determined and the delays are set for the channels.

If you want to not run your preamp unless you are not listening to 2 channel music, I would use another set of speakers to use with multichannel/TV watching instead of plugging/unplugging cables regularly. You then have 4 main speakers, which also may not be best for domestic bliss.
That's my current setup, and something I am trying to get away from.