Most Overplayed

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Most Overplayed
« on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:59 am »
Alright folks - bring the hate!  For me it's been Adele's "Rolling in the Deep".  The first 20 times I had to hear it I could go along.  No real new ground broken, but an ok song.  Since then not being able to escape it, I've come to detest it. Fortunately it's seems to be finally dying out.  With the exception of La Macarena I don't think there's another song I'm more glad to hear disappear from the airwaves. 

What are you being overexposed to these days & be glad to not hear again? That's music folks - the spouse & ex-spouse jokes are at the humor circle......

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Most Overplayed
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2012, 06:45 am »
FM Top 40 are the most over played garbage since eons.
These artists are traders who sell himself for vile financial success.
If all these ''singers'' meet in a party and everyone died of overdose, could be a valuation of real musicians who dont do commercial music.
The Top 10 already be good.

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm »
I fantasize about getting the program director of our local PBS station on the phone during the next pledge drive and entering into a negotiation about how much I'd have to give to get them to agree to a six month moratorium on any of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons."  :lol:

decal

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:33 pm »
FM Top 40 are the most over played garbage since eons.
These artists are traders who sell himself for vile financial success.
If all these ''singers'' meet in a party and everyone died of overdose, could be a valuation of real musicians who dont do commercial music.
The Top 10 already be good.

:wtf:

won ton on

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:45 pm »
I'd have to say Pink Floyd's ( the wall). Q-107 in the Toronto area played it way too much,i still can't stand listening to it.

WC

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:59 pm »
Guns and Roses. I had a college roommate who only played this. Can not listen to this to this day. I don't listen to the radio so I haven't gotten to sick of current overplayed music.  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:47 pm »
Just turn on your local formula "Classic Rock" station and listen for 30-45 min to get my list. When you hear "Stairway to Heaven", you know "Maggie May" can't be far behind.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:26 pm »
I've listened to the following artists so much (via radio when I was younger) I can no longer listen to them at all (I immediately change to something else if a song comes on from one of these artists):

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Any heavy metal band
Boston
Any hard rock band popular in the 80s or 90s, such as Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, The Who, etc.

These have affected me so much that I have zero CDs from any of these bands in my collection. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:43 pm »
I never listen to any 'radio'. All of it sucks.
Way too much of radio as a teen in the 60's.
Mostly I despise the Dj chatter and commercials.
I stick to playing CDs and LPs. NO annoying commercials.
In my car it is Cd or no music at all.
I was lucky where I worked we did not have to be subjected to the nasty noise of someone elses' choice of music at all. No radios allowed (thank goodness) just blissful silence.
I have seen folks enthusiastic over FM and just shudder!! (I ust cannot believe the like it???)
Anyway, since I never listen to anything i do not want to hear, no problem.
I pretty much avoid 60's do-wop and any Rock from the 50's.
My fav stuff is Jazz from 40's through current, and some classical music.
Once in awhile I listen to some Rock... But that urge is usually short lived. A few albums and it is back to Jazz.
Even TV, I turn off the sound for all commercials.. always..

My least liked big group: Rolling Stones. Some of their music is not too bad, but i hate the members of the band. Too 'slimy nasty' (bad boys with gonorrhea) sorts as human beings for my taste. And PLEASE. just die already! instead of touring. LOL
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2012, 05:58 pm by Elizabeth »

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:51 pm »
I can tell you from a musician's prespective that if I never played "Old Time Rock and Roll" again it would be too soon.

Doc

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:44 pm »

My least liked big group: Rolling Stones. Some of their music is not too bad, but i hate the members of the band. Too 'slimy nasty' (bad boys with gonorrhea) sorts as human beings for my taste. And PLEASE. just die already! instead of touring. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFGWVKXxm0

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:55 pm »

Can You Feel The Love Tonight?
No, not the song - I'm talking about this thread. Get your hate on, folks!

Actually though, now that I think about it, I probably could live without hearing that song again... :wink:

D.D.

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:42 am »
When I lived in NY, every time a new Billy Joel album came out, radio stations went out of there way to make sure
you got totally sick of it. I haven't listen to Billy Joel on my audio system since I don't know when...

rajacat

• Washington State

rockadanny

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2012, 05:11 pm »
It is easy to pick on an oldies format station playlist, but as far as current releases I haven't a clue. I never listen to any music on the radio so have no comment on "these days".

For new releases only (when they were released) ...
I do recall back when I did listen, when Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" came out, it was played non stop. It had to be the most over played (current) song EVER! Perhaps still holds the record?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:27 pm »
When I posted this I was thinking about over the air radio, but I guess there's many ways to get "overexposed". E.g United Airlines old TV commercials sorta ruined Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue for me.  Not that the commercials were so bad - it's just now I associate it w/ UA, not one of my favorite airlines, vs my own mental images.  Rolling Stones's "Start Me Up" w/ MS Windows would be another.  That's really the RS's fault though.

simoon

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:45 pm »
I pay zero attention to radio or any form of pop music in general. So, I have no idea what is overplayed.

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:27 pm »
I find Pachelbel's Canon in D consistently and ubiquitously annoying.

jarcher, thanks for picking up the Music Circle torch.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:08 am »
I find Pachelbel's Canon in D consistently and ubiquitously annoying.

jarcher, thanks for picking up the Music Circle torch.

Let's not forget Ravel's Bolero - my mother in particular use to hate that one!

It's my pleasure to help.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:03 am »
My Sharona by The Knack has topped my list for the last 30 plus years.
Scotty