Bruckner box set

ehoove

Bruckner box set
« on: 27 Aug 2011, 07:53 pm »
This is my exposure to Bruckner

Bruckner 9 Symphonien 11 LP Box Set with booklet
Deutsche Grammophon Records #2740 136 (Tulips)
Eugen Jochum Conductor Berlin Philharmonic.

I find the presentation and recording quality excellent. Is anyone familiar with this box set, and how it compares to other offerings of Bruckner's works.

Regards,
Jim

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Bruckner box set
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2011, 10:37 pm »
I agree, it is excellent! 

Others I find very good, assuming sound quality is important, are:

Barenboim and the Chicago SO
Tintner w/various orchestras (on Naxos)
Karajan and Berlin Philharmonic (on DG)
Haitink and the Royal Concertgebouw

katzer

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm »
Solti with CSO is excellent, #3 is a special edition with a different ending for the Scherzo movement. I was quite surprised when I first listened to it.

Tintner is also very good.
I have 2 recordings of Barenboim with the Berliner... #8 and #2. #8 is ok, nothing ground breaking. #2 is rare enough so any addition is a welcomed one.

My favorite is Celibidache. I rank it at a different class altogether.

I am not a Karajan fan...

Naun

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2011, 11:15 am »
It's a great set. Along with Jochum's later Dresden cycle, it's probably the set most often mentioned when outstanding Bruckner performances are discussed. (Many listeners, myself included, still lean toward this earlier cycle.) It's from DG's best period for sound, too.

If you're looking to supplement it with other recordings, the usual advice (with which, again, I'd concur) is to go for recordings by conductors like Wand, Haitink, or Giulini, who give more "objective", restrained performances with less flexible tempi. This approach can can provide its own rewards, particularly in the larger symphonies such as the 8th.

You can currently buy Wand's excellent complete Cologne cycle on CD on amazon for $25. Be aware though that Wand made a succession of later recordings that in some cases offer better playing and better sound.

There are lots of rewarding Bruckner recordings out there, though, and there are some good suggestions in the other replies so far posted in this thread. At some point you'll run up against the question of which editions of the text are used, but others will be better qualified to comment on that issue than I am.

holden4th

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2011, 11:44 pm »
Jochum is probably the best though the Gunter Wand set comes close. For individual performances try out either Giulini and Bruno Walter in the 9th

volvic325

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2011, 04:54 pm »
I have the Jochum set, it is very good but sonics and performance are a little inconsistent, still a great conductor.  I have most of Abbado's and Solti's and love them as well.  The special ones are the Bohm performances but for quality, consistency there is only one box set and that is the Karajan versions from the 70's.  Say what you will about Karajan but his conducting of Strauss, Mahler and Bruckner are second to none. 

bakufu

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2012, 09:55 pm »
i have inbal's set on the queue.  it was something of a gamble, since apart from one recording of berlioz (the Te Deum) i know little of inbal's work.

i enjoy the EMI celibidache set. but i still prefer individual performances by furtwangler (the Music and Arts set), keilberth (the 6th), sinopoli (5, 7, and 9), and eichhorn (with the bruckner orchestra of linz). 

i see that the eichhorn recordings were gathered together in a box-set, but have now gone out of print.  too bad -- they're quite unique.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2012, 10:11 pm »
I'll have to look into this.  Good information.