Chopin's Mazurkas - why do they speak to me so?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Chopin's Mazurkas - why do they speak to me so?
« on: 6 Apr 2010, 06:00 am »
I'm listening to the 10 different recordings I have of these pieces and I keep coming back to Rubinstein and the subtle magic he weaves.  I don't know why these pieces hold such a spell over me, but I love them.

Actually, now that I've thought about it for a bit, I believe it's because they are so non-directive in their emotive approach.  They don't tell you what to feel, moment by moment.  Rather, they are ambiguous, and a bit mysterious, for all their surface charm.  You hear them and you are not sure how you feel about what you just heard.  I LOVE that. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Chopin's Mazurkas - why do they speak to me so?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:32 pm »
It doesn't hurt that nobody wrote melody like Chopin.  Some composers project majesty, some beauty, some power, but for a pianist, no one let's the performer sing like Chopin.  I love to listen to, and I love to play his work more than any other.   :D

Mijknarf

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:20 pm »
I've picked up the classical bug and have started to collect a few titles, much to learn.  I see many different recordings of these pieces, can you guys direct me to one that offers the best mix of performance and sound quality?  Many thanks.

BobMajor

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2010, 02:35 pm »
Whenever I'm bored with all other classical music Chopin can always refresh and please. The mazurkas are especially delightful.
I've found that I'm really drawn to the piano playing of the Turkish pianist Idil Biret who recorded all the Chopin works for Naxos. In addition the sound is spectacularly, crystal clear with great ambiance. I don't know why other labels seem to get such a dead sound out of piano recordings. Another plus is that if you buy them used on Amazon the cost is negligable.
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Mazurkas-Vol-Idil-Biret/dp/B0000013PP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271428194&sr=1-2

Mijknarf

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2010, 09:22 pm »
Thank You very much Bob, I'll check it out.

scp2

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:01 pm »
I am going to give it a listen too...just bought one $5.15 shipped.

Thanks for the tip...don't have any Chopin yet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:05 am »
Biret is not bad, but I think both Chiu and Rubinstein are better.  Chiu is a bit more exploratory, while Rubinstein is more tidy and refined.  Put another way, Chiu plays like a young genius, while Rubinstein plays like the same young genius, after a lifetime of experience.

I have a few other sets (Ashkenazy & Simon spring to mind), but neither are on quite the same level as Rubinstein & Chiu.