Beethoven Symphonies 1-9

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Beethoven Symphonies 1-9
« on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:24 am »
OK, for Beethoven there are 2 categories you have to be aware of - non HIP (traditional), and HIP (Historically Informed Performances).  HIP uses original instruments and musical interpretations as close to Beethoven's time as possible.  There are a couple of sets I recommend in each category:

HIP:

Gardiner and ORR - one of the first HIP sets and still one of the most dramatic and in-your-face sets of Beethoven ever.  Good sound and a very interesting set, highly recommended.

Mackerras and the SCO - a trend in modern instruments is to use MI (modern instruments) and adopt HIP phrasing and presentation.  Mackerras and the SCO get it done better than anyone else in recent history.  Recorded quality is very good.

Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra - historical (traditional) performances that really get the essence of Beethoven.  Driven, intense, big, strong, heroic.  All of these describe this set.  Recorded quality is pretty good for the 60's, but not on par w/the more recent sets.

Karajan and BPO 1960's set - Karajan recorded several sets throughout his tenure as conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic.  The 60's set is still probably the best overall.  Intense, driven, but also sweet and lyrical.  More human and varied and the Szell set, and of course the BPO is incomparable in this music.  Only Kleiber and the WPO come close, but they only did a couple of symphonies, not the whole 9.

richidoo

Re: Beethoven Symphonies 1-9
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:29 am »
When I saw your Mahler thread I thought, "I wonder what Beethoven cycle he likes...."    Hmmmm..

I have the Vanska/Minnestota. I like it very much, smart, technical, youthful, athletic. I hope they hurry up with the 7th. The 6th is gorgeous.

I also have DG's Karajan cycle, but it is a little too mellodramatic for me, but it has some nice moments. I would love to see Rattle/Berlin take it on...

I will check out your recommendations. Thanks
Rich

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:34 am »
As one can never have too much Beethoven, as no one conductor gets all of the Symphonies right (usually no more than half in a set), and as many of the greatest recordings are available at mid-price or less, here is my list of favorite performances.

#1 - Szell; Jochum (Concertgeboew/Philips)

#2 - Szell; Norrington; Haitink (LSO live); Jochum

#3 - Walter; Bohm; Klemperer ('59); Norrington, Szell

#4 - Bernstein (NYP); Leinsdorf; Konwitschny; Walter; Vanska

#5 - Reiner; Bohm; Szell (Amsterdam - the rest of the Szells listed are from Cleveland); Kleiber

#6 - Monteux; Bohm; Furtwangler; Haitink (LSO live); Walter

#7 - Bohm; Reiner; Casals; Zinman; Wand

#8 - Szell; Norrington; Vanska; Ormandy

#9 - Furtwangler (Lucerne); Bohm (VPO); Karajan ('62 or '77); Wand

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 02:16 am by rpf »

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:46 am »
As one can never have too much Beethoven, as no one conductor gets all of the Symphonies right (usually no more than half in a set), and as many of the greatest recordings are available at mid-price or less, here is my list of favorite performances.

#1 - Szell, Jochum

#2 - Szell, Norrington, Haitink (LSO live), Jochum

#3 - Walter, Bohm, Klemperer ('59), Norrington, Szell

#4 - Bernstein (NYP), Leinsdorf, Konwitschny, Walter

#5 - Reiner, Bohm, Szell (Amsterdam - the rest of the Szells listed are from Cleveland), Kleiber

#6 - Monteux, Bohm, Furtwangler, Haitink (LSO live), Walter

#7 - Bohm, Reiner, Casals, Zinman, Wand,

#8 - Szell, Norrington, Vanska, Ormandy

#9 - Furtwangler (Lucerne), Bohm (VPO), Karajan('62 or '77), Wand

For Symphonies #2, #4 and #5 my favorite is Rene Leibowitz with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1961)

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:59 am »
I like very much Karajan and Bernstein performed excellently in Beethoven Symphonies!!! :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2008, 06:50 am »
I just got the Szell "Original Jacket" set of Beethoven Symphonies remastered with DSD, and WOW is this great.  Real pianissimo!  Real dynamics!  Sony did a GREAT job remastering these performances compared to the rather mediocre "Essential Classics" mastering from the 80's and 90's.  There's a depth, humanity, and even humor in these performances that you would have never guessed was there previously.  Highly recommended!

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2008, 06:53 am »
Also, it's amazing to see the places that Beethoven's music shows up.  I was recently watching a French avante-garde film (Irreversible) and the slow movement of the 7th symphony is right there in the midst of insane violence and rape.  Crazy, but given the level of pathos in this particular music, probably shouldn't be as shocked as I was.

rpf

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2008, 07:00 am »
I just got the Szell "Original Jacket" set of Beethoven Symphonies remastered with DSD, and WOW is this great.  Real pianissimo!  Real dynamics!  Sony did a GREAT job remastering these performances compared to the rather mediocre "Essential Classics" mastering from the 80's and 90's.  There's a depth, humanity, and even humor in these performances that you would have never guessed was there previously.  Highly recommended!

Good to know; I'll have to check them out. Thanks!  :thumb:

Hogg

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm »
My votes goes to Osmo Vänskä with the Minnesota Orchestra.  Modern interpretation and great sound.

Jim

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm »
The 2nd/7th disc in the Vanska/ Minnesota cycle has been released. Gramophone said this 7th might be the best recording and performance ever, and it is indeed awesome. You can't go wrong with the BIS Minnesota cycle.

I have also recently found BSO / Munch 5th. Slower tempos, more playful and moody, a little 70s shlock, compressed and EQed, but I love it in contrast to Vanska's serious and perfect 5th. It's on JVC XRCD

GDeering

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:46 am »
I heard a lot of the Mackerras/SCO Beethoven cycle live and I was amazed.  I'll get the set eventually.  I should see if they are the same performances or later studio recordings.

I'm also a recent convert to Leibowitz, really good, but the LPs in my box were owned by someone with an iron stylus, so I have an impression, but I have not spent a lot of time with them.  A sleeper:  Steinberg's 5 on Command LP. 

I have not heard any HIP Beethoven that I like, but in theory it's just the kind of thing I should like, it's great that the influence is there without the rhythmic inflexibility I find in the HIP Beethoven recordings.

Gregg

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2009, 04:32 am »
Gregg,
Mackerras has ousted Gardiner from the top spot of my "HIP style" Beethoven performances.  Great recording quality, outstanding performances.  I think (for me), the overall nod still goes to Szell, but it's super-close. 

I have Leibowitz on CD (not LP), and it's really something!  If you ever get a chance to pick up a fresh pressing or can find it on CD, it's one of the very best sets out there (particularly the 7th, which Leibowitz just leaves everyone else in the dust). 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2009, 07:53 pm »
I should hear Gardiner's set as I like him a lot, but I have been satisfied with Roy Goodman/ Monica Haggett/ The Hanover Band by Nimbus Records. 7-disc set includes also the overtures and Missa Solemnis. Good deal.

rpf

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2010, 08:31 pm »
The complete Vanska set of Beethoven symphonies is now available (in hybrid SACD) for $37.39!

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8027158&style=classical

Mike Nomad

« Reply #14 on: 5 Mar 2010, 04:30 am »
~
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2015, 08:40 pm by Mike Nomad »

blackzarg

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:33 pm »
I really enjoy the Vanska / Minnesota set as well, but I find that the Eroica sounds a bit sterile and slow. My favorite interpretations are by Karajan / BPO, but I understand that Vanska and Karajan have many differences. Both are good to listen to.

I recently picked up the Immerseel set with period instruments, which is also a good set!

GDeering

« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2010, 03:56 am »
Hi Tyson,

Sorry, I did not see your reply earlier.  I've since found a decent Leibowitz box set, though it would be a good idea to haunt the used CD stores of NYC to find a CD box.  I hate to pay retail for CDs.  His seventh is great. I should compare Leibowitz to Szell in Sym four.  Szell is one of the only conductors who treats this gem right.

I still have to get the Mackerras box, but I've been exposed to the glories of 45 rpm Analogue Productions Blue Notes and they are so expensive.  I know there have been some classical remastering at 45, but my mind reels at the thought of what we could be hearing.  Pity there is no money in Classical repressings.  A Klemperer Beethoven or Brahms set... for starters....

Gregg