classical music - what to buy?

Austin08

classical music - what to buy?
« on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:28 am »
Hello all,

I ran across a cd album  ”Mozart collection” which I bough maybe 15 years ago while cleanning up and reorganizing all my stuffs. I have never though that classical music would give me that much of excitement and emotinal feeling. I may know one or two thing about other music genres but knowing nothing about classical music. So now, I want to start venture into this ”old” world but have no idea of what to buy. For your refrence, here are some songs in that cd that I like: Symphony No40, Violin concerto No3 Allegro, Horn concerto No2, etc.

I do not own TT,, so cds, dsd or high res recommend only. Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: classical music - what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:35 am »

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:40 am »
Tyson,

This is what I what I need. Thanks

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:43 am »
Smetana's "The Moldau" should be near the top of anyone's list of Romantic works.  It stunned me in college with its musical description of a river flowing to the sea.    :o  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:50 am »

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:59 am »
So far $150 total in my amazon shopping cart already.  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:22 pm »
Since you're not familiar with many pieces, I'd recommend you get a collection.  My first rec would be the Living Stereo box:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Stereo-Box-Set/dp/B009J3K4MI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363097132&sr=8-2&keywords=living+stereo+collection

You'd get all types of good classical music: symphonies, concertos, lieder, overtures, etc.  And cheaper than buying singles ~$1.50 disc if you get the used set.  While these recordings may not be the absolute BEST recordings of the respective pieces, but in my experience very few of them are duds.  Here's the CD listing (by conductor or soloist, for whatever reason...):

1 Various Living Stereo Sampler
2 MUNCH, CHARLES/Saint-Sans: Symphony No. 3; Debussy: La Mer; Ibert: Escales
3 MUNCH, CHARLES/Ravel: Daphnis et Chlo
4 REINER, FRITZ/ Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra; Ein Heldenleben
5 REINER, FRITZ/Bartk: Concerto for Orchestra;Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta; Hungarian Sketches
6 HEIFETZ, JASCHA /Beethoven: Violin Concerto; Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto
7 CLIBURN, VAN /Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1; Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2
8 FIEDLER, ARTHUR/Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue; Concerto in F; An American in Paris; Variations..
9 REINER, FRITZ /Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
10 PRICE, LEONTYNE/Leontyne Price: Arias
11 RUBINSTEIN, ARTHUR Chopin: Ballades & Scherzos
12 MONTEUX, PIERRE/Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 Pathtique
13 GOULD, MORTON/Brass & Percussion
14 HEIFETZ, JASCHA/Sibelius, Prokofiev, Glazunov: Violin Concertos
15 MUNCH, CHARLES/Berlioz: Requiem 2CD
17 MUNCH, CHARLES/Ravel: Bolro; La Valse; Rapsodie espagnole; Debussy: Images for Orchestra
18 PIATIGORSKY, GREGOR/Dvork; Walton: Cello Concertos
19 REINER, FRITZ/ Dvork: New World Symphony
20 REINER, FRITZ/Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
21 RUBINSTEIN, ARTHUR /Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1
22 FIEDLER, ARTHUR/ Offenbach: Gat parisienne
23 CLIBURN, VAN/Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3; Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3
24 FIEDLER, ARTHUR/Hi-Fi Fiedler
25 HEIFETZ, JASCHA/Brahms; Tchaikovsky: Violin Concertos
26 MONTEUX, PIERRE/Franck:Symphony in D Minor;Stravinsky: Petrouchka
27 MUNCH, CHARLES/Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6
28 MUNCH, CHARLES/Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique; Love Scene From Romeo & Juliet
29 REINER, FRITZ/Strauss: Scenes from Elektra & Salome
30 REINER, FRITZ/ Mahler: Symphony No. 4
31 RUBINSTEIN, ARTHUR Chopin: Piano Concertos
32 STOKOWSKI, LEOPOLD/ Rhapsodies
33 GOULD, MORTON/Copland: Billy The Kid & Rodeo; Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite
34 MOFFO, ANNA/Arias from Faust; La Bohme; Dinorah; Carmen; Turandot; Semiramide; Lakm
35 REINER, FRITZ/ Respighi: Pines Of Rome; Fountains Of Rome & Debussy: La Mer
36 REINER, FRITZ/Vienna
37 MUNCH, CHARLES/Mendelssohn: Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5; Octet: Scherzo
38 FIEDLER, ARTHUR/Pops Caviar
39 RUBINSTEIN, ARTHUR/Beethoven: Sonatas (Moonlight; Les Adieux; Pathetique; Appassionata)
40 HEIFETZ, JASCHA/Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1; Scottish Fantasy & Vieuxtemps: Violin Concerto No. 5
41 LANZA, MARIO Mario! Lanza At His Best; Vagabond King Highlights
42 FOX, VIRGIL/ Encores
43 LEINSDORF, ERICH/Puccini: La Bohme 2CD
45 LEINSDORF, ERICH/Puccini: Madama Butterfly
47 MOFFO, ANNA/Verdi: La Traviata 2CD
49 BJORLING, JUSSI/Puccini: Turandot 2CD
51 MUNCH, CHARLES/Schubert: Symphonies "The Great" & "Unfinished"
52 REINER, FRITZ/ Strauss: Don Quixote & Don Juan
53 HEIFETZ, JASCHA /Bach: Concerto for Two Violins in D Minor
54 BREAM, JULIAN/Popular Classics for Spanish Guitar
55 PRICE, LEONTYNE/Albeniz: Navarra, Iberia; Falla: El amor
56 RUBINSTEIN, ARTHUR/Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 2; Franck: Symphonic Variations;
57 MUNCH, CHARLES/Berlioz: Harold In Italy; The Roman Carnival Overture; Benvenuto Cellini Overture
58 REINER, FRITZ/Mahler: Das Lied Von Der Erde
59 REINER, FRITZ/Strauss: Symphonia Domestica; Suite From Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
60 CLIBURN, VAN/Schumann: Piano Concerto In A minor; Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5, Op. 73 "Emperor"

BTW, I have heard of some people having problems with the quality of the discs.  You may consider buying a new set for a little more money so you could return it if there are manufacturing defects.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 07:58 pm by Ericus Rex »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:53 am »
Thanks guys, you are great.I will take time and check them all out.  Already order the Living stereo box set. Never know they are dirt cheap.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:05 pm »
I've been eyeing that Living Stereo set myself, even though I probably have 2/3 of the pieces as singles with other labels.  But I've been waiting for Sony to release the box in SACD format.  They have redone a handful of those CDs yearly for the past few years but I haven't been able to find any info on whether they plan to re-release the whole box in SACD.  I sure hope they do!

Austin08

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:15 pm »
Sacd is ideal. With that many discs, the Living stereo box set will help me narrow down my interest. Once i do, I will search for the sacd versions.

simoon

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2013, 07:29 pm »
In my opinion, classical music has the ability to convey as much, or more, emotion and excitement (although in different ways) as other musical forms. Classical music has the full range of musical theory (harmony, chordal structures, rhythms, time signatures, tempos, tonality, atonality, etc)  to draw from. Where most musical forms are limited by their genre.

Ericus Rex made some great suggestions, since he included music from several different periods. If you explore many of his recommendations, you should notice that the music of Mozart will sound nothing like Brahms, will sound nothing like Chopin, will sound nothing like Bartok, etc.

Also, classical music (unless you are strictly referring to the 'Classical' period, 1750-1820) is not an 'old world' musical form. It is a living, breathing, evolving form. 

I tend not to like anything composed before the early 1900's, and I especially enjoy music from the mid 20th century up to the current time.

After you explore some of the recommendations already posted, you may want to check out some of the following:

Penderecki - 2nd Violin Concerto (Anne-Sophi Mutter violin), Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Ligeti -   Ramifications, Lux Aeterna, Piano Concerto (1988) and Violin Concerto
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
Samuel Barber - 1st Piano Concerto, Adagio for Strings
Messian - Quratet for the End of Time, Turangalila Symphonie
Britten - Four Sea Interludes

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2013, 09:10 pm »

Ericus Rex made some great suggestions, since he included music from several different periods. If you explore many of his recommendations, you should notice that the music of Mozart will sound nothing like Brahms, will sound nothing like Chopin, will sound nothing like Bartok, etc.  Excellent observation... all the more reason why a collection makes sense for a beginner

I tend not to like anything composed before the early 1900's, and I especially enjoy music from the mid 20th century up to the current time. Whereas I listen to some of the early 20th century, but don't care for most post 1930- I'm a Romantic at heart.

After you explore some of the recommendations already posted, you may want to check out some of the following:

Penderecki - 2nd Violin Concerto (Anne-Sophi Mutter violin), Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Britten - Four Sea Interludes These guys do little for me.. also not a Bartok fan- Give me Shostakovich or even Rachmaninov. The beautiful thing about classical music is that there is such a huge range of beauty and truly something for everyone.

acresm22

« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2013, 10:58 pm »
Two more must-haves (both excellent CD recordings) if you're dipping your toe into 20th Century classical pieces:

R. Vaughan Williams: http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-Williams-Fantasies-Ascending-Variants/dp/B000004CVM
Aaron Copland: http://www.amazon.com/Copland-The-Music-America-Aaron/dp/B000003CZE

Austin08

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2013, 07:58 am »
Two more must-haves (both excellent CD recordings) if you're dipping your toe into 20th Century classical pieces:

R. Vaughan Williams: http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-Williams-Fantasies-Ascending-Variants/dp/B000004CVM
Aaron Copland: http://www.amazon.com/Copland-The-Music-America-Aaron/dp/B000003CZE

Thanks, they are in my Amazon cart now.

I also just bough the Chopin Ultimate 5cd colection for $15 at Bestbuy last weekend.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:41 pm »
Rachmaninoff's 2nd Symphony is amazing.  You'll hear influences that film composers later drew from.  Very melodic and emotional.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:45 pm »
Hi Austin,

If you find you really like the music of a particular composer you can  buy a collection of (almost) all the composer's pieces that have ever been recorded.  Seems to be a trend right now, especially with EMI.  I guess since hardly anyone is buying classical discs anymore these record companies are attempting to entice buyers with large boxes which are VERY nicely priced.  Hop on over to Amazon and you'll see collections by Schubert, Elgar, Holst, Debussy, Poulenc, etc - usually just type in the composer's name plus "collection" or "collector's edition."  Again, while each particular recording may not be the absolute best version available I've yet to find any total and complete duds in the collections I've bought.

Another option, for more variety, would be collections of conductors.  There are sets from Bernstein, Furtwangler, Klemperer etc.  While some of these recordings may sound a little dated, the performances are usually quite excellent.

Rock on!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:34 pm »
Here's another box set that covers a wide variety of composers, perfomances, and at a tad over $100 for 55 CDs it's a pretty good buy. What I've listened to so far has been well recorded. I picked it up after someone posted the 'deal' in a separate thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Original-Jackets-Collection-Obsessed/dp/B0091HVMVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1370532715&sr=1-1&keywords=phillips+box+set

apog

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm »
Mercury Living Presence II (55 CDs) priced at $85.59 (9/23/2013).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7364H2/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2013, 01:46 pm »
Mercury Living Presence II (55 CDs) priced at $85.59 (9/23/2013).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7364H2/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Those 2 Mercury boxes have a lot of interesting, slightly off-the-beaten-path, pieces along with many standards.  I very much like how the 2nd set in particular contains many nearly forgotten 20th century American composers.  There's more to American symphonic music than just Copland and Gershwin!  I wonder what they've got up their sleeves for box number III.