My First Topic-What to Do

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #220 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:20 pm »
That sucks. I hope you get pretty good money for the equipment.  8)

I also hope you find the gear that makes you happy. There's a lot of good brands out there... :D

1oldguy

« Reply #221 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:26 pm »
I won't be getting any other gear.4 years of working day and night went into this.

vegasdave

« Reply #222 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:27 pm »
Oh. Ok.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #223 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:28 pm »
How about getting a hearing check up?

b5pt9

« Reply #224 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:42 pm »
Seriously this does seem a little knee-jerk, especially if you've put 4 years into it.  At least wait a couple more days and arrange to have someone knowledgable come over.  Why not take Keith up on his offer?

1oldguy

« Reply #225 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:45 pm »
HI B5pt9

We hope to get together tomorrow if things work out.I also will be calling the dealer and see if he will come here.

vegasdave

« Reply #226 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:55 pm »
Well, I've had some dreadful equipment in the past (no names mentioned) and it was very frustrating. It was almost enough to get me out of the hobby. So, I know what you mean, old guy.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #227 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:13 am »
I did audition the 7Bs squared with my JBLs and I can vouch that these amplifiers are no slouches. I mean 600 watts is quite a bit of power and it is an awesome proformer. I decided on the 28Bs as it took the performance level up a few notches - and I have a thing for big, bland and heavy amplifiers. It is very inportant when the dealer has all the equipment on hand to audition - this makes all the difference in the world. What was it someone said about the Demo?

I remember when I went to listen to a manufacturer that I was very interested in and the price for the system was around 25-30K range. When I listened to it, I did not like it at all - in fact I was very disgusted with its performance - audio is so subjective, you have to take it for a "drive."

Please note that I am not defending Bryston - if I have an issue with a Bryston component I will speak my mind, whether it is good or bad. I have listened to a lot of equipment in the past year and I can tell you that Bryston more than holds its own in terms of performance in the audio world - this is why I purchased a 28B and BP26.

I sincerely hope this works out for you in the end 1oldguy, please keep us posted.

Be well...

srb

« Reply #228 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:15 am »
I also think you should give the dealer a chance to look at it.  If there is something wrong, there's no reason to take a loss if you may end up with a killer system.  Which it should be.

Steve

KeithA

« Reply #229 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:39 am »
Seriously this does seem a little knee-jerk, especially if you've put 4 years into it.  At least wait a couple more days and arrange to have someone knowledgable come over.  Why not take Keith up on his offer?

I just got back in town about 1/2 an hour ago. I see a lot has happened :o

Brandon, I assume its too late tonight to drop over since I'm sure you can't run the system this late at night. Like I said in my PM, my work is 5 minutes away from your address. I can pop by for a while tomorrow when your schedule fits and bring along some of my own music that I know sounds great on my system.

Keith

1oldguy

« Reply #230 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:53 am »
HI Keith

Sounds like a plan to me. :wink:
For the record I've come to the conclusion that all is working properly,it just may be I am not found of the sound.Which is both a relief and a disappointment at the same time.But I do think having a more knowledgeable person check out the gear I have is in order.
It will be interesting to have your input.

KeithA

« Reply #231 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:57 am »
HI Keith

Sounds like a plan to me. :wink:
For the record I've come to the conclusion that all is working properly,it just may be I am not found of the sound.Which is both a relief and a disappointment at the same time.But I do think having a more knowledgeable person check out the gear I have is in order.
It will be interesting to have your input.

We'll definitely get together tomorrow, even if its for only an hour or so. I'll wait for your PM tomorrow as to a time when you are free. I'll take some CDs to work with me tomorrow.

Keith

werd

« Reply #232 on: 17 Aug 2009, 01:40 am »
Mr1wog

you are not listening to what we are saying or you are not taking it seriousily. the gear you bought is very revealing and outstanding. its the kinda gear i would kill for..... any volunteers  :icon_twisted:.  My point here is that it's very different from  your misconceptions as to what the gear (or any gear of this calibre)  will deliver. This gear right now, aside from breaking in, is teaching you a lesson on high end sound. that sound can be very shocking at first and may very well be a bit of a dissapointment. only because its not what you expected. But i can assure you after awhile, in  a bit of time after the initial shock you will sit down and actually hear what its doing. Musical presentation will be true to the actual recording.

Do yourself a favor and dont go emo on the first day or week. i assure you this is absolutely good advice here. Have keitha come in, along with your audio dealer and give you a hand. This will help immensely in identifying to the gear you bought.

Ciamara

• Industry Participant
    • Ciamara - Sound Everything
« Reply #233 on: 17 Aug 2009, 02:02 am »
Hi.  I'm relatively new here, but not to audio.  I think you might want to consider the possibility that your components just don't like each other.  I have heard several B&W loudspeakers at various dealerships.  And I can tell you from experience that I found B&W's really came alive with the right amplification.  Bryston make great amplifiers, and they are known for quality and reliability in the professional studio market as well as the mid-fi and hi-fi markets.  But keep in mind that they are also very revealing amplifiers, which means they can bring out the worst in your recordings as much as the best.  I did some experimentation about a year ago with B&W 801s, and I found that to my ear, among Krell, Bryston, McIntosh and Classe, I liked the Classe monoblocks I heard best with the B&Ws.

It is all about synergy with audio.  Not every speaker will sound good with every great amplifier out there.  If you are interested, we can help you out at Ciamara, but I will leave it at that, as I do not want to advertise our business in the wrong area.  Either way, consider that your amplifiers may just not be the best for your speakers, or your personal tastes for that matter.  If you want a more dynamic, full and moving listening experience, a few slight changes may be all you need.  Good luck, and hope to hear how you get on.

werd

« Reply #234 on: 17 Aug 2009, 02:33 am »
I farted one time and my grills fell off their speakers  :lol:

werd...

Was that one or both grills that fell off? I just want to know if it was a "mono fart" or a "2 channel fart."

Be well...

it was a single channel very well delivered air release (kinda like the post right above). Nothing in its way including securely attached grills had a chance.  have to admit... it scared the shit out of me ..

Mag

« Reply #235 on: 17 Aug 2009, 02:46 am »
Even if synergy is an issue here, I think you should take Werd's advice and give the system a chance.

For myself is the past with upgrades it could take 2 weeks or longer to adjust to the new sound. Even now with the 3B SST 2 I am just beginning to hear the subtlies in recordings that I wasn't aware of before.

I went from a starter system to what I have now in about 9 years. Careful listening analysis went into each upgrade I considered. Sometimes as much as six months was required to identify the weak link. Every upgrade I made improved the sound to some degree.

Your making the adjustment from mid-fi at best to hi-fi, this will take sometime for your mind to adjust. As well, if like me, you'll go through periods of listening fatigue from not being use to critical listening. After that you can listen for hours with little of no fatigue to your mind.

Ciamara

• Industry Participant
    • Ciamara - Sound Everything
« Reply #236 on: 17 Aug 2009, 03:12 am »
I'm confused.  Are we talking about a lifeless, disappointing sound (as I read earlier in this thread), or are we talking about the sound being analytical (i.e. too revealing and lacking warmth)?  These are two different issues, and they depend highly on the listener.  I have had clients that find Wilson Audio's Alexandria's to be unimpressive and lacking in vibrancy and dynamic range.  I have had other potential clients that decided they were sufficiently happy with little speakers from the likes of Polk Audio.  We need to know a little more about what exactly you are looking for in your sound, and what it is that specifically is disappointing with your current setup.  And by this I mean both a description of what is objectively wrong, and then equally important, what you personally find to be lacking.  Then perhaps we can help you.   

Do you want a warm, musical presentation of your music?  Do you want dynamic range and impact?  Do you want it to be fun and lively?  Do you want to be able to enjoy average quality recordings?

or ...

Do you prefer a mild-mannered, detailed presentation of your music?  Do you want to hear every little nuance, good or bad?  This comes with the obvious tradeoff of an analytical sound that brings out the worst in recordings. 

Curious to hear your thoughts here ...

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #237 on: 17 Aug 2009, 03:57 am »
Mr1wog

you are not listening to what we are saying or you are not taking it seriousily. the gear you bought is very revealing and outstanding. its the kinda gear i would kill for..... any volunteers  :icon_twisted:.  My point here is that it's very different from  your misconceptions as to what the gear (or any gear of this calibre)  will deliver. This gear right now, aside from breaking in, is teaching you a lesson on high end sound. that sound can be very shocking at first and may very well be a bit of a dissapointment. only because its not what you expected. But i can assure you after awhile, in  a bit of time after the initial shock you will sit down and actually hear what its doing. Musical presentation will be true to the actual recording.

Do yourself a favor and dont go emo on the first day or week. i assure you this is absolutely good advice here. Have keitha come in, along with your audio dealer and give you a hand. This will help immensely in identifying to the gear you bought.

Oldguy,

c'mon...be a Wiseguy and give Werd's advice a chance. it's very nice that Keith will have a look at your system. this can't be the end of the story...

al.

Viajero5000

« Reply #238 on: 17 Aug 2009, 08:23 am »
Provided the equipment/connections aren't faulty, sounds like a typical case of:

1. 'Hifi shock', coupled with
2. bad speaker placement/room acoustics, and
3. synergy mismatch between components

I have no experience with these speakers, but a neutral system that is not properly set up can sound as described. 

1oldguy

« Reply #239 on: 17 Aug 2009, 11:25 am »
Including  myself  for a total of 4 people ,none of us think the sound is all that great.