Lenehan ML2 Limited Edition

bhobba

Lenehan ML2 Limited Edition
« on: 3 Nov 2012, 03:07 am »
First I want to disclose I live close to the maker of these speakers and own a lot of their gear so please take into account any biases you may think it could engender.  I like to think I am unbiased but I feel full disclosure is important.

Ok Lenehan Audio do not just make speakers but sell equipment as well.  They recently got an amp in for me - an Arion HS-500.  It arrived and I went down to hear it but it was attached to some new speakers they built as a special order for a customer.

You can read about it here:
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/46808-lenehan-ml-ii-reference-limited-edition/

Anyway they simply blew me away.  Dynamism, clarity, staging, just about any area you can imagine out of this world - simply jaw dropping.  It for example showed the shortcomings of Mac 501 amps very easily - and that's not easy - transparency plus.

The cabinet is lined with copper and uses Duelund Cast capacitors and resistors as well as 10 gauge air core inductors.  It is the most inert cabinet you can imagine.  The maker lines all his cabinets with steel anyway but this one uses copper instead as well as a large number of very thick copper coated steel rods as bracing in a differential arrangement to reduce resonances even further.  He thinks its at least 10 times less resonant than anything he has built before - maybe even 20 times.  When playing LOUD you can feel only an incredibly feeble vibration in the speakers.  Forget the knuckle wrap test - it passes that with ease - you can only really tell with this speaker when it actually playing.  It also has Bybees on the input of the crossover.

I couldn't stand it - I have ordered a pair. 

Nothing, and belive me I have heard quite a few speakers in my time - touches these things - nothing.

They are not cheap though - exact price depending on the options - mine for example will use HD3 instead of timber, be painted candy apple, and have outboard crossovers plus I am toying with also getting Bybees at the speaker terminals - they are already built into the input of the crossover - it is under $20K - but not by a lot.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2012, 08:56 am by bhobba »