Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

wushuliu

Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #341 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:07 pm »
Another nice option.  I will put the size and seller for these in the BOM but no links because they are finite. I will also add pactec and parmetal.

wushuliu

« Reply #342 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:12 pm »
Also if someone wants to foot the bill and there is interest I will order a dcb1 board and do a tutorial on that and on The condition that there is a tour before payer gets it.

daniloreyes

• If it sounds good ... Listen to it!
« Reply #343 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:49 pm »
PM :P

mightym

« Reply #344 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:04 pm »
I'm getting ready to finally construct my B-1. ( Pass board, and matched transistors )

The info posted here is proving to be invaluable to someone who hasn't driven a soldering iron in over 20 yrs.

What are the thoughts concerning the substitution of the DPDT sw, for the input selection, with a rotary switch to give the possibility of additional inputs?

Any Idea where I would go about sourcing such a switch?  Would a double pole rotary work, or would it require an additional pole for the signal ground?  What is "Shorting" vs "Nonshorting" when I look at the # and variety of rotary's available at someplace like Mouser, my eyes glaze over and I want to take a nap....

Opinions, answers, or suggestions are welcome...

John

rtate

« Reply #345 on: 23 Jun 2010, 11:42 pm »
hey avionic, what are those by-pass caps and what values did you use??

Nick77

« Reply #346 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:01 am »

Also how much difference in the cap swap to Sonicaps, i opted for 1uf Sonicaps and for the 10uf went with Daytons 1% precision. I hope i am not disappointed but the 10uf Sonicap was pricey.  :duh:

Nick77

« Reply #347 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:16 am »

My 10 uf caps are MIA, just for the record NEVER opt for the Smartpost at Parts Express. It takes forever, i went for the low price ship since it was only 2 caps but i have been waiting a whole week and still not here :(

I went with a wood case since i had a little walnut veneer left over, PRP resistors and Takman resistors for the output.

wushuliu

« Reply #348 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:36 am »
Oh bummer, yeah smartpost sucks. I've got 10uf Erse and the Russion K73-16. lmk if you want me to drop some in the mail...

avionic

« Reply #349 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:37 am »
Vitamin Q's and I believe they are .022 These were NOS (new old stock)that a guy on ebay had.

wushuliu

« Reply #350 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:38 am »
Also how much difference in the cap swap to Sonicaps, i opted for 1uf Sonicaps and for the 10uf went with Daytons 1% precision. I hope i am not disappointed but the 10uf Sonicap was pricey.  :duh:

The general feedback on Sonicaps have been the Gen I can sound on the lean/bright side - hence the Gen II as a warmer bypass. So those with the Daytons may make for a more analytical delivery...

avionic

« Reply #351 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:41 am »
  This is actually another complete b1 with the sonicaps. The other one has the dayton 1% caps and for the $ in this application I think the daytons would be hard to beat. Try bypassing the dayton 1% with the dayton film/foil caps if you want to experiment later.

wushuliu

« Reply #352 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:42 am »
I'm getting ready to finally construct my B-1. ( Pass board, and matched transistors )

The info posted here is proving to be invaluable to someone who hasn't driven a soldering iron in over 20 yrs.

What are the thoughts concerning the substitution of the DPDT sw, for the input selection, with a rotary switch to give the possibility of additional inputs?

Any Idea where I would go about sourcing such a switch?  Would a double pole rotary work, or would it require an additional pole for the signal ground?  What is "Shorting" vs "Nonshorting" when I look at the # and variety of rotary's available at someplace like Mouser, my eyes glaze over and I want to take a nap....

Opinions, answers, or suggestions are welcome...

John

A 2 pole should work fine. As for sourcing, it depends on how many inputs you are looking to use. I like high quality selectors like Grayhill... you can do a search on digikey for Grayhill rotary switches...

avionic

« Reply #353 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:44 am »
The general feedback on Sonicaps have been the Gen I can sound on the lean/bright side - hence the Gen II as a warmer bypass. So those with the Daytons may make for a more analytical delivery...
  Exactly right. Adding the vitamin Q's really helped soften things up a little. I also added riken resistors for the 1k values.

Nick77

« Reply #354 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:57 am »
  This is actually another complete b1 with the sonicaps. The other one has the dayton 1% caps and for the $ in this application I think the daytons would be hard to beat. Try bypassing the dayton 1% with the dayton film/foil caps if you want to experiment later.

Thanks for the input, i have some small value russian pio's i might try as bypass's

wushuliu

« Reply #355 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:58 am »
  Exactly right. Adding the vitamin Q's really helped soften things up a little. I also added riken resistors for the 1k values.

Yes, I like Vit Qs. Had them in my speakers.

Good resistors like riken, prp, shinkoh, etc. I think are a must for the B1.

mightym

« Reply #356 on: 24 Jun 2010, 11:07 am »
A 2 pole should work fine. As for sourcing, it depends on how many inputs you are looking to use. I like high quality selectors like Grayhill... you can do a search on digikey for Grayhill rotary switches...

Thank you :D

Nick77

« Reply #357 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:34 pm »
Its ALIVE! Wushuliu you hatched another one, many thanks for your support.  :thumb: :thumb:

Right out of the box it sounds really good, already getting very good bass and clean sound. Cant wait to put a few hours on it.  :eyebrows:

wushuliu

« Reply #358 on: 24 Jun 2010, 11:14 pm »
Its ALIVE! Wushuliu you hatched another one, many thanks for your support.  :thumb: :thumb:

Right out of the box it sounds really good, already getting very good bass and clean sound. Cant wait to put a few hours on it.  :eyebrows:

Excellent!  :rock: Now where are the pics !  :D

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #359 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:08 pm »