Help, I can't understand the words!

roymail

• Roy in TX
Help, I can't understand the words!
« on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:34 am »
I love the music, and the vocals are amazing!  But, I can't understand the opera because I don't know the language.

Do you all speak several languages?  Do you really understand the words in all these operas?  Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Opera must be truly great in order to inspire without even understanding a word they are saying... uh, singing.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Help, I can't understand the words!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:38 am »
No way to understand the words of many operas - unless you speak that native language. Sometimes there is a caption system above.

You want to read the synopsis of the opera, and you can also find the translations, on the internet. A good opera song can bring tears to your eyes in any language. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:41 am »
"Kill da wabbit. Kill da wabbit. Kill da wabbit!"

bunnyma357

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:52 am »
I actually prefer not knowing the language, as a lot of the actual lyrics can be kind of mundane. Performances usually have the translation projected above the stage, or displayed on the back of the seat in front of you.

Also most CD's come with a Libretto that gives the narrative of the opera, so you can read the storyline.

Jim C

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2010, 07:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies and insight into how opera is enjoyed by so many fans.

no1maestro

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:14 am »
I began listening to opera as a teenager and was quick to ask for all operas to be sung in English. After hearing my first German opera in English, I quickly changed my mind; I couldn't understand it that much better so I decided to learn each story and the basic core of each aria ahead of time and learned to enjoy the original language.

I couldn't speak Italian or French or German but over the years I have learned many key words and phrases and I still need a libretto to follow American operas. Don't give up!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:43 am »
I enjoy opera. I used to read the libretto while listening. Then, with familiarity with particular Operas I could know what is going on without reading.
I 'know a bunch of operas, Best known to me are the Barber of Seville, Mozart Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovani, Cosi Fan Tutti,  and Magic Flute. Also Orff Die Klugen Frau, and The Wagner Ring.
Generally, just to know the emotional setting is enough to enjoy the singing.

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:16 am »
No need to "understand" the words, most of the time its trivial stuff. I just go with the emotional(or lark thereof) delivery...think voice as conduit of musical interpretation/impressions. Sure a lil' knowledge of the context of the storyline might enhance one's appreciation of the work, especially if one is inclined to converse with others on the "blah blah" of the performance.
THe description oftentimes falls short of the actual.
Describe to me the Ocean.

CSI

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2010, 03:20 am »
Here's some advice. More than any other genre, opera must be experienced. Go see Boheme or Traviata or some other popular opera when it comes to your town. Then you will begin to understand. Opera is as much theater as it is singing and the exact meaning of the words are not only secondary, they can be distracting. All you need is a rough understanding of the story line. Watch, listen, and enjoy. The singers/actors will do the rest. Eventually you will feel the goose bumps that come when you realize that you are hearing the best that can be done with the human voice. In terms of technique, range, and emotion it doesn't get any better. This is the World Cup, SuperBowl, World Series and Olympics of singing. If you haven't yet attended your first opera, I envy you. Even if the opera company is less than world class you are in for a great evening of entertainment.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2010, 01:55 pm »
I was introduced to opera way before I could speak.  So, it's really is the music that gets to me.  Having said that I do appreciate it better when I know what the words mean.  Vinyl and most CD boxes come with libretto.  Even the new value CD packs without libretto give you links to access libretto you can print out.  I usually would listen to a whole performance and mouth all the words (sing along on famous arias) to really get into the flow of the drama.  You do this enough of the time and you get to "understand" the lyric since English translation is usually right next to the original language.  Having just returned from a vacation in Italy I can tell you I understand a fair bit of Italian from just reading Italian libretto over the years.