Song Tower or Vandersteen

denali 1

Song Tower or Vandersteen
« on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:55 am »
  Has anyone compared the Song Tower with the Vandersteen 2 Sig 2? I just sold my old Vandy 2ci's (which I liked very much),and had intended to replace them with the new Vandy's, but then I read about the Song Tower. I am using a PrimaLuna tube preamp and an (old) Classe seventy amp. Please share your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

Zero

Re: Song Tower or Vandersteen
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2009, 01:38 am »
The SongTowers and the Vandy 2CE Sigs are fine speakers, and compete against one another quite evenly, in my opinion. Before I go on, its worth noting that I only have experience with the 2CE Signature...  not the version 2 (which I hear is a lot more like the 3A Sigs)

I'd summarize it like this; Both speakers should have zero problems sounding good on your current electronics.  The Vandersteens will require more attention to  room placement than the SongTowers - which are easier to set-up (and function well against wall boundaries).

When I owned the 2CE Sigs, I found them to excel at two different genres of music:  rock and roll  (unusual for a high end speaker), and jazz. It's not to say that they couldn't play classical, electronica, or more mainstream music to satisfaction, its just that I found them to be particularly adept with the aforementioned styles. Compared to the SongTower, the 2CE Sigs are a bit less refined and noticably less coherent throughout the frequency range. Then again, the 2CE Signature weren't exactly designed for linear 'neutrality'. It's a colored speaker, and proudly so. The advantage the Vandersteen's will have over the Songtowers is: Deeper bass extension with much greater heft "down low", A bit more edge and bite to the treble - giving instruments in particular a bit more realistic sense of timbre, superior power handling (although the  SongTower's are no slouch), and with careful positioning - they can deliver a wider sound-stage.

The SongTower's are all about balancing trade offs. To my ears, their biggest asset, aside from a wonderfully open and detailed midrange, is how the speakers masterfully integrate the highs, the mids, and the lows. Everything tends to speak with one voice on the SongTowers. With the 2CE Signatures, I could always hear a distinct separation between each range. I also find the SongTower's to be more versatile in terms of delivering a good musical experience, regardless of the type of music being played through them. Although I'd pick the 2CE's in a heartbeat if I primarily listened to Led Zep, CCR, Santana, The Beatles, etc..   the reverse is true when it comes to Chopin, Malher, Paganni, Dj Tiesto, Incubus, Linkin Park, etc..  The advantage I feel that the SongTowers have over the Vandersteens is: greater resolution, refinement / balance, better versatility in terms of component matching, room positioning, and encompassing a wide variety of music, midrange performance, and build quality/looks (no contest on the last one - in my opinion).

It's funny you should narrow your choices between these two, as they are among my favorite towers under the $2000 price range, right on up there with the Magnepan 1.6 and the Totem Acoustic Sttaf. In this company, there is no right or wrong choice. Hopefully this helped you to reach a firm idea on where you want to take things.  On a parting note: I have never personally dealt with Richard Vandersteen or anyone in his company. However, I have met and have spoken with Jim Salk and find him to be a down to earth class act! I'd have no problems sending him my green.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2009, 05:05 pm by Zero »

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:24 pm »
I own SongTowers and I’m very familiar with Vandersteen 3A signatures, which my brother owns.  When he was shopping, I listened at some length to the 2Ce signature model while he decided which one to buy.  He eventually picked the 3A because it was better balanced than the 2Ce.

I agree with Zero’s excellent comments, especially that Vandersteens are finicky about room placement.  Both of these Vandersteen models are excellent at creating a three dimensional sound image, but the sweet spot for hearing this image is rather narrow.  Obviously, I have observed this more in the 3A model than in the 2Ce.  I am told that this is a byproduct of Vandersteen’s 1st order acoustic crossovers, and as a result, it is probably also true for the 2Ce.  Both speakers seem to require very careful placement in a room before getting optimal results.

In contrast, the SongTowers create a very wide sweet spot and seem to produce good results in a wide variety of room locations.  My brother the Vandy owner agrees with this, and even though he won’t give up his speakers, he likes the SongTowers.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2009, 07:11 pm by R Swerdlow »

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2009, 10:53 pm »
Great replies both.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2009, 01:24 am »
I couldn't have said it any better than zero and swerd, so I'll keep it brief:

Before I purchased the SongTower's I owned the 2CE Sig's.  I liked them, but due to their "ugliness" and not so protective socks that they are wrapped in, I sold them.  I now own a pair of SongTower RT's and like them better than my old Vandersteen's.  And believe me, i really did like those 2CE Sig's.  The SongTower's are just better, while not reaching as low in the bass department.  That was a trade-off I was willing to make, however, as I gained superior transparency, a larger sound stage, better driver integration and blending and a more realistic high frequency presentation.  I can hear no lobing from the SongTower's and instrument timbre is more realistic to my ears.

YMMV

denali 1

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:57 pm »
Thanks for the help, this is the type of information I was looking for. Because of your familiarity with both the Vandy's and the SongTower's,your comments are especially useful,so,I see a pair of SongTower's in my future. I'll call Jim Salk soon and talk to him about what I'm looking for,and recommend that you guys get a commission
Again, thank you for your help.