spotted these on audiogon and Big Red's already posted

these have the active / passive crossover
too much marring up that glorious wood finish

florida - pick up only

somebody should do well on these

rydenfan

Re: Some HT3's for sale
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2008, 05:05 am »
I might have to try and get an audition so I can finally hear some HT3's  :thumb:

orientalexpress

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2008, 05:31 am »
I might have to try and get an audition so I can finally hear some HT3's  :thumb:
Uh oh,Christmas's shopping again? :thumb:

lapsan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:44 am »
Look at the traffic this guy is getting on Audiogon:

Salk HT-3 
Asking $4500.00 obo
New Retail $6500.00
Condition 9/10
Days/Views 7 / 4227
 Ship cost Pick up only
Ship from 200 lbs from 34604
Ship to No shipping
Included No box or manual

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:46 am »
Look at the traffic this guy is getting on Audiogon:

Salk HT-3 
Asking $4500.00 obo
New Retail $6500.00
Condition 9/10
Days/Views 7 / 4227
 Ship cost Pick up only
Ship from 200 lbs from 34604
Ship to No shipping
Included No box or manual

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1235268003&/Salk-HT-3-

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:55 am »
I know it is sacrilege to say so, but I really don't like that combination of finishes.

George

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:35 am »
I know it is sacrilege to say so, but I really don't like that combination of finishes.

George

I'm not crazy about the baffles, particularly, with the speakers' bodies, but if I lived close enough to pick them up, I'd live with them.   :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:46 am »

George

I'm not crazy about the baffles, particularly, with the speakers' bodies, but if I lived close enough to pick them up, I'd live with them.   :D

For that price, those baffles could be redone to better match the cabinet according to the new owner's tastes. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:17 pm »
I recall building those speakers and they actually do look better in person.  The customer wanted contrasting (lighter) front baffles.  The front baffles were done in bosse pomelle.  This was actually the nicest bosse hardwood I have ever worked with.  The figuring is fantastic.  I have looked for something similar ever since, but have not come across it.

But obviously it is all a matter of taste.  And as Robin pointed out, it would be a relatively trivial task to dye the front baffles to match the bubinga.

- Jim

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2009, 12:28 am »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2009, 01:01 am »
As soon as you say "No SHipping", you kill the sale!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2009, 01:33 am »
As soon as you say "No SHipping", you kill the sale!

I am with you, BRM.  I would not drive more than 6 or 7 hours each way to purchase and collect a pair of speakers.  :D

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2009, 02:08 am »

George

Its not sacrilege just honest.

Jeff M

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:34 pm »
Thats about $1K more than they paid for them, being older versions and trying to get revised/improved HT3 prices  :scratch:.  Guess that is why they still have them.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:38 pm »
Thats about $1K more than they paid for them, being older versions and trying to get revised/improved HT3 prices  :scratch:.  Guess that is why they still have them.

I don't believe that to be true.  I've never heard of these going for $3k.  $5.5k in basic black and no options is the lowest I have ever seen them. 

martyo

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2009, 03:55 pm »

I don't believe that to be true.  I've never heard of these going for $3k.  $5.5k in basic black and no options is the lowest I have ever seen them. 

They also have the active/passive switch which was an add on.

grenamc

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2009, 01:32 am »
Another pair for sale:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1236118608

I am guessing these have already vanished?  Too bad, they look lovely from the pic.

-Michael

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:40 am »

Actually, when we first began building the HT3's, we were building them in my back yard.  I recall many days having to shovel snow to get to the saw and working outdoors in the cold all day.  Glad those days are long gone.  At any rate, not having any experience building this type of speaker, we introduced them at $3495 and built quite a few pairs at that "introductory" price.  After a while, it occurred to us that we could not lose money on each pair sold and hope to make it up in volume.  We had no choice but to increase prices. 

We've made many change/improvements since then, and will continue to do so.  But quite a few very early pairs were built for $3495, these pairs included. 

Now you know the rest of the story.

- Jim

TooManyToys

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:41 am »
I somehow invision a tale to a grandchild about having to shovel snow uphill twice to be able to build speakers......