My SongTower with ribbon tweeters in pau ferro veneer

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
The SongTower have been extensively reviewed on AC and AVS, and most of you are much more capable reviewers than me, but I am very pleased with the speakers and wished to post my impressions.

I received the SongTower speakers with ribbon tweeters in pau ferro veneer about three weeks ago.  The timing was perfect because my kids were able to give them to me the next day on my birthday.  I hid the speakers, in the box, in the bathtub of our first floor bathroom the afternoon that they arrived.  Later that evening, my wife told the kids that the boxes were in the bathroom.  I brought the boxes out the next morning after the kids went to school.  When I came home from work that evening (on my birthday), the boxes were decorated with birthday messages in magic marker and bows and ribbons.

The veneer is beautifully applied.  They are very similar to Nuance's speakers but without the hand-rubbed, high gloss finish.  The speakers sound wonderful.  They seem to be very accurate.  This is particularly evident, although a seemingly odd way to assess this, on highly compressed mass market recordings.  My other speakers, various LS3/5A-type speakers, could not accurately reproduce the source.  On a highly compressed recording (i.e., poorly mastered commercial recording), the LS3/5A-type speakers could not reproduce a chime or a bell at the same volume that the SongTower can reproduce the chime or bell.  Now, I don’t like to listen to highly compressed recordings, but I think the SongTowers’ ability to reproduce the sound is indicative of the speakers’ accuracy.  The AVA Insight gear that I am using has tremendous dynamic range, but it is the same equipment that I used with the LS3/5A-type speakers, particularly my Spendor S3/5A.  The Spendors are pleasant (colored) sounding, but that is not what I looking for, and they couldn’t reproduce the little sounds, even when the sounds’ volume was artificially increased in the recording.  The SongTower really sing with a good recording.  I have been enjoying listening to vinyl recordings, which sound outstanding, although the AVA DAC is excellent, too. 

Sitting in my listening chair, the music through the SongTower puts me in a trance.  It’s amazing how good music that sounds good can do that and good music that does not sound good can’t do that, at least not for me.  The music has a similar effect on my middle child, 6 years old, and she dozes off in my lap.

If I had a larger room, I would consider purchasing a pair of HT-3, even after a few weeks of SongTower ownership, not because I am not delighted with the SongTower but because I know that the HT-3 would sound even better in a larger room.  Acoustically, my room is as dead as a doornail, but I think the SongTower would be very easy to place in any small room, regardless.

I am very happy that I got the ribbon tweeters.  Jim wouldn't tell me that the ribbon tweeters were essential, but, after hearing them, it is a no-brainer (even for an additional $700.00), IMO, even though I haven't heard the OWII version, but I read the other SongTower reviews and the Veracity reviews.  If I had had to economize, I would have forgone the custom veneer for the ribbon tweeters, or if I hadn't, I would have wished that I had.

Great, great, great work, Jim and Dennis.  Thank you so much.

Edited for spelling

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2008, 05:44 am by oneinthepipe »

funkmonkey

Re: My SongTower with ribbon tweeters in pau ferro veneer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2008, 02:24 am »
Congratz oneinthepipe!  Now we just need some photo's so we can  :drool: :drool: :drool:

...another satisfied customer.

Nice of you to let your kids "give" them to you.  8)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2008, 03:11 am »
Nice of you to let your kids "give" them to you.  8)

Yes, the kids always give their mother and me gifts that we like, which makes them very happy.   :lol:

If the SongTowers hadn't arrived, they would have given me a new phono cartridge.  They rarely know about the gifts in advance, except for gifts they make for us or gifts like a coffee mug with their photograph, but I think that they preferred giving me a gift this year in a very big box rather than a gift in a very small box.  I can imagine my youngest saying, if they gave me the phono cartridge, "That's it?  That little thing?  That's all we got you?"

Their mother, however, always prefers gifts in small boxes.  :bawl:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2008, 04:08 am »
Thanks for the report.  That certainly brightened my Xmas.  And I wouldn't worry too much about the HT3's.  The extra bass is nice, but I have a very large listening area, and I'm perfectly happy with my ST's.  In fact, with many amplifiers they probably will put out more  volume than the HT3's.  Unless of course you're feeding them a 32Hz organ pedal tone.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2008, 06:07 am »
That was a wonderful write-up!  I never tire of reading the impressions of happy Salk owners. 

I am very pleased that you are enjoying your ST RT's as much as I am.  I second the motion for pictures, though.  Sure, I have the same speakers in the same veneer, but I still want to see your gorgeous pair.  :)

Happy birthday!

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2008, 02:48 pm »
Glad to see you are happy with your new speakers, enjoy!  :thumb:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2008, 04:08 pm »
Like everyone else, I always enjoy reading a report from another happy Salk owner.  Great write up  :thumb:.  And like Nuance and the others, we want photos!  If I ever win the lottery, I plan on collecting SongTowers in all the drool-inducing veneers that I've seen here.  So I have important decisions to make and you could be holding up progress.

And by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I can't think of a better way to celebrate it than getting SongTowers.  My birthday was November 25, was yours close to that?

Richard

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2008, 09:46 pm »
Mine is November 28th

R Swerdlow

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2008, 06:51 pm »
Mine is November 28th
Happy (belated) birthday to you too - how did it go so quickly from late November to late December!

And happy birthday to all those with the wisdom and good taste to have birthdays near mine, oninthepipe's or rydenfan's.

And while I'm at it, happy holidays to all the rest of you :thumb:!

Richard

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2008, 10:46 pm »
Mine is November 28th
Happy (belated) birthday to you too - how did it go so quickly from late November to late December!

And happy birthday to all those with the wisdom and good taste to have birthdays near mine, oninthepipe's or rydenfan's.

And while I'm at it, happy holidays to all the rest of you :thumb:!

Richard

Not to speak for rydenfan, but I suppose time flies when 1) we are listening to Salk speakers; 2) we are having fun, and Sagittarians are noted for having fun (and getting into trouble); and/or 3) we are reaching or have reached the ages when time just flies.

I vote for numbers 1 and 2, although number 3 factors in there for me, retrospectively.   :lol:

Happy Holidays to everyone.