Center channel question

Rooster19

Center channel question
« on: 22 Mar 2015, 02:30 pm »
So I'm trying to decide on a center channel for a set of H2T-TL's. Since the bulk of what I do is tv/ht, I wanted the best center possible. I was hoping to get a c7, but it's just a little too tall. Jim is seeing if a shorter version is possible, but he also reccomended the supercharged songcenter.

I figured id ask does anyone have any experience with both. Any thoughts/opinions?

guf

Re: Center channel question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2015, 04:51 pm »
I had a HT2-tl center and used it with HT2-tls, SS8s and then Song towers. I never thought with any setup that the center was better than or less than the other parts. maybe my ear isn't that critical for HT/tv use. I just wanted to share my experience.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm »
I have a Supercharged Song Center with my Veracity STs, and it sounds really good to me. I initially had concerns about differences in timbre across the front channels due to the different driver sizes, but Jim assured me they are voiced the same and that it shouldn't be an issue. He was correct, they sound great together.

Rooster19

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm trying to figure out whether the c7 is worth the extra cost over the SCST. Similariliy to you, Ace - Jim said they would timbre match well with the H2T-TL's.

@Ace: great looking room! very comfy

ckullmann1

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:57 pm »
I have the same question: I have Veracity STs as mains (love them!) with a standard songcenter which is front ported.  I'm wondering whether it's worth the upgrade to the SC Songcenter OR a smaller C7 (if available).  Although I'm thrilled with my upgrade from the Std. Songtowers to the Veracity STs (mains), my guess is that upgrading the center channel would have less of an impact due to:
1) the fact that the center channel is placed horizontally and is front-ported (i.e., usual limitations), and
2) I only use the center channel for movies which have less detail

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Rooster19

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:17 pm »
Well- lower profile c7 is in the works! Now the wait....

JonnyFive

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:13 pm »
For best horizontal response I'd recommend a W(M/T)W design like the C7.  I think the Accuton/RAAL combo would be absolutely outstanding for vocals.

I don't think you'll notice much of a timbre match problem with any of the Salk speakers.

Jon

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2015, 09:46 pm »
For best horizontal response I'd recommend a W(M/T)W design like the C7.  I think the Accuton/RAAL combo would be absolutely outstanding for vocals.

I don't think you'll notice much of a timbre match problem with any of the Salk speakers.

Jon

+1

Rooster19

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2015, 10:06 pm »
+1

Yup- agree completely. Jim let me know that a 10.5 inch height c7 is possible, so that's the way I'm going. I just sent the deposit yesterday, so now I'm playing the waiting game.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:11 pm »
Yup- agree completely. Jim let me know that a 10.5 inch height c7 is possible, so that's the way I'm going. I just sent the deposit yesterday, so now I'm playing the waiting game.

Sweet!  :thumb: