Salk Sound/Rhythmic Subwoofer

Rocket

Salk Sound/Rhythmic Subwoofer
« on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:37 am »
Hi Guys,

Just wondering whether you can point me in the direction on detailed instructions for the rythmic subwoofer.  I have connected the subwoofer to my preamp via rca out to LFE in.  The line in wouldn't work but appears to be sounding quite good.  There are a lot of adjustments that can be made and the instructions are a little unclear for me. 

This is strictly a two channel system and I've never used a subwoofer before.

Cheers Rod

Nuance

Re: Salk Sound/Rhythmic Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm »
Which subwoofer did you get, and what preamp do you have?

Subwoofer input to preamp/receiver output. 

If you're using the crossover built into your preamp then turn the crossover dial all the way to the highest it will go on the Rythmik subwoofer.  Turn the subwoofer level (or gain) knob up to about 10-11 o'clock and adjust as necessary.  To adjust phase, play a sine wave of the same frequency that your crossover is at (if the crossover is 80Hz, play an 80Hz since wave) and have someone adjust the phase knob on the Rythmik while you sit in the listening position.  Leave the phase where the bass is the loudest.  You can use a SPL meter to help determine this if necessary.

You can also try the subwoofer crawl method in order to figure out where to place the Rythmik.  This entails placing the subwoofer in the listening position (perhaps on a chair), then crawling around the room during bass heavy passages and finding the spot in the room where the subwoofer sounds the best.  When you find that location that's the spot you'll place the subwoofer.

Gzerro

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:18 pm »
The best source of information I found on basic setup was the Rythmik website.

From the link below, click on the model of amp you have and it links to setup instructions. There are some other areas on the site as well that explain the PEQ settings, etc. It isn't the most organized, but its all there with a bit of digging.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html

ratso

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2013, 06:43 pm »
i can also tell you that the owner of rythmik (brian) is super helpful and doesn't mind phone calls about this sort of thing.

laulau

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2013, 07:27 am »
I forget where I got this from, maybe Brian?
I've never used these particular settings as I use the bass management in my Denon receiver, so YMMV.
Also, assuming you're using a PEQ3 amp, if you use the LFE input, you disable the Phase and Crossover controls on the sub.  Something to keep in mind if your preamp doesn't provide any bass management controls or room correction.

3. Recommended initial 2-channel setup (without AVR or pre-processor)
The standard PEQ3 amplifier does not have HPF output. This means that the front speakers will run full range.
The following setting also assume the subwoofer is placed at a distance to the listener
similar to those of the front speakers so no additional delay time adjustment is needed.

Recommended plate amplifier settings (from top to bottom, left to right)
1. Input: LINE-IN

2. PEQ: OFF

3. Gain: 0db

4. Bandwidth: middle position

5. Frequency: middle position (40 Hz)

6. Delay/phase: 1 o’clock – sealed speakers, 10 o’clock for ported front speakers.

7. Crossover: Set Crossover knob to match natural bass extension of the front speakers.

8. Volume: middle position (12 o’clock)

9. LOWPASS filter: 5” woofers - 80hz/24, larger speakers - 50hz/24.

10. Rumble filter: OFF/1 for one port configuration and ON/2 for 2-port configuration

11. Extension filter: 14 Hz high damping for articulate sound and 14 Hz low damping for full bodied HT sound.

Hope that helps.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:34 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your help.  Line in doesn't seem to work and I'm using the other input.  The subwoofer sounds great.  I just need to configure it a little better

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2013, 04:20 am »
Hi,

I've been dialling the subwoofer in since yesterday and line in is definitely working.  It just doesn't have the same level of output that LFE In does.  Perhaps, I'm a bit deaf but I don't hear a lot of difference between some of the settings but I have configured it as per advice from the quick guide that was sent to me.

I've finally finished my system and I'll be sitting on these components for a few years.  I recently bought a goldnote valore 'italian job' turntable and I'm really happy with my system now.

Here is a photo of my system and room:

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2013, 10:08 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice.  When I use LFE in I find that I only have the volume gain set at halfway but when I use Line In I have to have the volume a lot higher.  Is this normal?  I've tried a few of the other settings but I can't really hear any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Rod

martyo

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2013, 12:02 pm »
Hi Rod,

Nice set, I always like your front baffles and the sub looks really good with them.There are plenty of experts here on the SalkCircle with subs but since Expona I have decided I want more low end and have been reading and following threads etc. I believe the LFE inputs are for the ".1" in a "theatre" system and have all the low frequency effects and the crossover controlled by the AV receiver. And from what I've read it is "louder" than the Line In. And the Line In is just the real Line In with the crossover set with the sub amp.
I'm sure "TJ" or "Nuance" can confirm or set it straight because I have NO experience, just reading and theory.

I really like that sub! 8)

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2013, 12:28 pm »
I just looked at the amp on your subwoofer and realized what you meant by LFE and LINE IN (you have both).  If you're using an external device with a built in crossover (such as a receiver or preamp) or have an external crossover, you'll use LFE IN.  If you want to use the crossover built into the subwoofer (you don't) and run your mains as Large, you'll use LINE IN. 

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2013, 12:39 pm »
Hi Nuance,

Sorry to sound totally stupid.  But in my case I don't use the subwoofer for HT and I just have an N.E.W. P3 tube preamplifier that I use excusively for 2 channel.  Are you recommending that I use LFE In?  If I use Line In I have to turn the subwoofer to volume gain to about 3/4 to hear much of a difference.  If I use LFE the gain is about 2/4.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Rod

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2013, 12:45 pm »
Hi Nuance,

Sorry to sound totally stupid.  But in my case I don't use the subwoofer for HT and I just have an N.E.W. P3 tube preamplifier that I use excusively for 2 channel.  Are you recommending that I use LFE In?  If I use Line In I have to turn the subwoofer to volume gain to about 3/4 to hear much of a difference.  If I use LFE the gain is about 2/4.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Rod

Thanks for your system info - it was hard to tell if had a preamp or receiver from the tiny picture on my phone. :) 

If this is just two channel and you're integrating a subwoofer you'd technically use the LINE IN.  The LFE IN is for use when there is a component involved that already has a high and low pass (crossover) built into it, such as a processor or receiver.  If your preamp doesn't have a crossover then you'd use the LINE IN to properly integrate the subwoofer into the 2-channel system, and you'd set the crossover on the subwoofer's plate amp.

And you didn't sound stupid.  It was my fault because I couldn't tell whether there was a receiver involved. :oops:

So does your preamp have a second set of outputs that your'e running to the subwoofer inputs?  How exactly are you integrating the subwoofer into a 2-channel system?

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2013, 07:30 am »
Hi Nuance,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.  My old N.E.W. p3 (actually designed and made by Cary Audio in the late 1990's) does have 2 outputs.  I'm using a subwoofer cable to connect the salk subwoofer to the preamp.  I've been fiddling a bit with the subwoofer and it does indeed blend nicely with the Salk HT2'S.

Thanks for all everyone who gave me a hand.

Regards Rod