Supercharged SongTowers Arrived!

rohrej

Supercharged SongTowers Arrived!
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 02:01 am »
After about a 3-year search for the perfect speaker upgrade, and a 90-day wait for them to be built, they are finally here!  These are the requisite unboxing pics:

The veneer is Fumed Eucalyptus.
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2013, 03:13 am by rohrej »

guillermorb73

Re: Supercharged SongTowers Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2013, 02:14 am »
Fantastic! What veneer did yiu choose? Whatever it is those speakers exude quality...

Ace Deprave

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2013, 02:17 am »
Awesome! I will be ordering a pair soon, I hope. I'm in the process of lining up an audition, and if they sound as good as everyone says, I will take the plunge.

How do they sound? I auditioned a pair of standard Songtowers about 3 1/2 years ago, and was very impressed. My budget at the time didn't allow me to order any, but now I'm ready!

What veneer and finish is that? They look great!

ernest787

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2013, 02:59 am »
those are beautiful!!!!!

I just purchased my first pair (second hand though) and am giddy to get them. 

Hopefully I'll be able to order a custom pair someday!

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:03 am »
Beautiful!

Enjoy :thumb:

rohrej

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:21 am »
Awesome! I will be ordering a pair soon, I hope. I'm in the process of lining up an audition, and if they sound as good as everyone says, I will take the plunge.

How do they sound? I auditioned a pair of standard Songtowers about 3 1/2 years ago, and was very impressed. My budget at the time didn't allow me to order any, but now I'm ready!

What veneer and finish is that? They look great!

That is Fumed Eucalyptus veneer, with the standard high-gloss finish.  They sound wonderful, I'm not quite getting the full effect yet though, since I'm getting over an ear infection and both sides don't sound the same.  One thing I was very pleasantly surprised to find is that they provide plenty of bass for my space, so I am putting off the dual-sub purchase I had been considering.

glangford

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2013, 09:41 am »
Congrats on your purchase.  I really like the finish, even matching plinth finish. Very cool.  I went with standard dark curly cherry on my SCST, which as luck happens turned out to be an almost perfect match to my cabinet.  When your ear clears up the sound will be amazing.

You are right about the bass.  I don't feel anything is lacking, although I don't use them for movies much, just music mostly. 

Ace Deprave

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2013, 10:47 am »
Congrats on your purchase.  I really like the finish, even matching plinth finish. Very cool.  I went with standard dark curly cherry on my SCST, which as luck happens turned out to be an almost perfect match to my cabinet.  When your ear clears up the sound will be amazing.

You are right about the bass.  I don't feel anything is lacking, although I don't use them for movies much, just music mostly.

Would you mind posting a picture of yours? I think I have decided on a veneer, but would like to see any other options that I hadn't considered.

decal

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2013, 11:03 am »
Would you mind posting a picture of yours? I think I have decided on a veneer, but would like to see any other options that I hadn't considered.

Check out this thread of Salks in members homes.

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm »
I really like the veneer/finish on those.  Congratulations! 

Ace Deprave

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:26 pm »
Check out this thread of Salks in members homes.

Thanks, I've looked at that thread repeatedly over the last 3 years. I always liked the standard cherry veneer on the regular Songtower, but I'm not as big of a fan of it with the full front baffle. I was just wondering what the dark cherry looks with that particular design.

rohrej

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:08 pm »
I'm really happy with how the veneer turned out.  I was considering the standard curly walnut, but decided I wanted something a little more unique and found the Fumed Eucalyptus on CertainlyWood.  In better lighting the figuring stands out even more on these than what shows up in the pictures.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:24 pm »
I'm really happy with how the veneer turned out.  I was considering the standard curly walnut, but decided I wanted something a little more unique and found the Fumed Eucalyptus on CertainlyWood.  In better lighting the figuring stands out even more on these than what shows up in the pictures.

This is what I'm leaning toward right now. I really like how the espresso dye contrasts with the white drivers.

glangford

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:54 pm »

I thought I had posted one in this forum, but apparently not. I did post one in the Salk thread on AVS forum, it's post #7888.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/939744/the-official-salk-sound-owners-and-discussion-thread/7888

It's not a very good picture though.  In most cases the picture doesn't do the finish justice.  I'd just go with your instinct, that's what I did.

harley52

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:15 pm »
Ace,

Those look ok, but doing the baffle like that and then the rest of the speaker in a little lighter finish would bring out the wood grain better. Which to me would greatly enhance the look. Just a suggestion, FWIW.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2013, 11:48 pm »
I thought I had posted one in this forum, but apparently not. I did post one in the Salk thread on AVS forum, it's post #7888.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/939744/the-official-salk-sound-owners-and-discussion-thread/7888

It's not a very good picture though.  In most cases the picture doesn't do the finish justice.  I'd just go with your instinct, that's what I did.

Thanks!

Ace,

Those look ok, but doing the baffle like that and then the rest of the speaker in a little lighter finish would bring out the wood grain better. Which to me would greatly enhance the look. Just a suggestion, FWIW.

Hmm, interesting idea!