My New Saab 9-3 60th Anniversary Edition

meby

Re: My New Saab 9-3 60th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2007, 07:56 pm »
2003 9-3 ARC with 55,000 miles.  Since I have bought the car I have had the Radio fail, the Transmission lock in park and the dealer had to tow the car to the dealership.  Had to have new springs and bearings, the lock system has failed, the left side of the cars lights all go out and the rear brakes needed new spring clips on the calipers.  If this car was not under warranty I would be severely pissed as all the research I did said it was a reliable car. Oh well you live you learn.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2007, 09:30 pm »
meby - If you have the convertable, you're fine (last generation body style), although someday you'll need about $2,000 convertable top repair. The rest of the car is OK. Well....Except for the $450 information display that will randomly have missing pixels making the disply useless. Intermittently.

If you have the sports sedan (hard top) here's the next things to prepair for:

- "Stability System failure. Contact Saab Dealer" message displayed in the SID. The car will need a yaw rate sensor and possibly calibrated.
- Power window regulator failure. Probably the driver window.
- Paint peeling off the hood and trunk emblems, power window switches, radio face, painted areas of the door panel, black bezel around the ignition key (if you carry many keys on your ring), glovebox button, HVAC controls. The black plastic on the outer door handles will gradually lighten in color to a nice very light gray, lug nuts will rust looking like shit
- Service Engine Soon light on due to failed gas cap. You've probably gotten the letter in the mail already. ALL 2003 9.3's had gas caps that won't stay tight causing the light.
- CD player or changer will fail. Either skipping or won't eject discs.
- One of your keys transmitters will fail totally. Despite the fact most have been recalled and replaced  already. It'll need to be replaced again.
- When you press "unlock" on your key, some of the doors won't unlock, the driver door will always work, but randomly the others will not respond. Reprogramming the module will most likely be the repair. Not related to the last issue of failed remotes.
- If you have Onstar, it'll rendered useless in a few years. That whole analog/digital thing :roll: Even though your Onstar will not work, you'll notice an ever increasing gap grow between the roof of the car and the base of the antenna. Despite what you might think, it will never leak water. Just looks like crap.
You've had some issues related to the CIM (Column Integration Module) and ISM (Ignition Switch Module). Multiple symptoms like: The key won't turn {car won't start}. The key won't come out {you gonna leave your car in a parking spot with the key in the ignition????)
- Check engine light will come on. It'll need a secondary air injection pump.
- Gearbox Malfunction message on randomly, intermittently. Your service department won't find any codes and won't experience the symptom or see the light on.
- Your battery will die soon. Don't attempt to jump start it. Most likely won't work, will frustrate you causing you to do something stupid, possibly causing electrical voltage spikes damaging something. Do Not jump start this car.
- At somepoint in time, you'll pull too far over a parking curb ripping the front lower splash shield. You won't worry about it because it doesn't look like it's hurting anything. Unbenonced to you, the air conditioning will stop operating correctly. It'll be because the ambient air temperature sensor (located low, dead center of the grill under the licence plate) wire harness is attached to this shield and will rip the wires from the sensor and harness connector.

Bob
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 09:46 pm by Bob in St. Louis »

The_KiD

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2007, 09:35 pm »
meby - If you have the convertable, you're fine (last generation body style), although someday you'll need about $2,000 convertable top repair. The rest of the car is OK. Well....Except for the $450 information display that will randomly have missing pixels making the disply useless. Intermittantly.

If you have the sports sedan (hard top) here's the next things to prepair for:

- "Stability System failure. Contact Saab Dealer" message displayed in the SID. The car will need a yaw rate sensor and possibly calibrated.
- Power window regulator failure. Probably the driver window.
- Paint peeling off the hood and trunk emblems, power window switches, radio face, painted areas of the door panel, black bezel around the ignition key (if you carry many keys on your ring), glovebox button, HVAC controls. The black plastic on the outer door handles will gradually lighten in color to a nice very light gray, lug nuts will rust looking like shit
- Service Engine Soon light on due to failed gas cap. You've probably gotten the letter in the mail already. ALL 2003 9.3's had gas caps that won't stay tight causing the light.
- CD player or changer will fail. Either skipping or won't eject discs.
- One of your keys transmitters will fail totally. Despite the fact most have been recalled and replaced  already. It'll need to be replaced again.
- When you press "unlock" on your key, some of the doors won't unlock, the driver door will always work, but randomly the others will not respond. Reprogramming the module will most likely be the repair. Not replated to the last issue of failed remotes.
- If you have Onstar, it'll rendered useless in a few years. That whole analog/digital thing :roll: Even though your Onstar will not work, you'll notice an ever increasing gap grow between the roof of the car and the base of the antenna. Despite what you might think, it will never leak water. Just looks like crap.
You've had some issues related to the CIM (Column Integration Module) and ISM (Ignition Switch Module). Mulitple symptoms like: The key won't turn {car won't start}. The key won't come out {you gonna leave your car in a parking spot with the key in the ignition????)
- Check engine light will come on. It'll need a secondary air injection pump.
- Gearbox Malfunction message on randomly, intermittantly. Your service department won't find any codes and won't experience the symptom or see the light on.
- Your battery will die soon. Don't attempt to jump start it. Most likely won't work, will frustrate you causing you to do something stupid, possibly causing electrical voltage spikes damaging something. Do Not jump start this car.
- At somepoint in time, you'll pull too far over a parking curb ripping the fron lower splash shield. You won't worry about it because it doesn't look like it's hurting anything. Unbenonced to you, the air conditioning will stop operating correctly. It'll be because the ambient air temperature sensor (located low, dead center of the grill under the lisence plate) wire harness is attatched to this shield and will rip the wires from the sensor and harness connector.

Bob

Man, sounds like a SOB (I mean SAAB) Story..

Chris

Nels Ferre

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2007, 09:56 pm »
Wow Bob,

I'll stick with my BMW 3 Series....positively bulletproof in comparison.  Great cars in fact (I'm on my second.)

With all those problems, maybe that's why SAAB stands for Swedish Automobile Always Broken.

tomjtx

« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2007, 11:19 pm »
Thanks for that info, Bob.

I had a Saab I bought used , new: 40.000. Bought it for 5,000 with only 60,000 miles so I didn't mike the quirks so much. Great fun to drive but I would never buy another. They make VW's look like a piece of cake :-)

G.Michael

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2007, 01:35 am »
honesthoff,

Nice looking car, nice color. 

I have a '96 900s 5-speed with 110,000 miles.  I've had a few problems with it, but hey, I've frustrated myself much more with this audiophile stuff that I have with this car.  And it sure is fun to drive.  Enjoy!

TomS

« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2007, 01:59 am »
honesthoff,

Nice looking car, nice color. 

Honesthoff,

I THOUGHT the same thing and regrettably veered off topic instead of saying it.   It's a beautiful car!!  Enjoy every drive in it.

Tom