Cable Risers

GeorgeAb

Re: Cable Risers
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2024, 05:15 am »
I use DVD cases opened like a pup tent. Looks cheezy, but effective. Nice find; those look really good and are a value, I will give them consideration.   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2024, 10:27 am »
According to the late Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade risers need to raise the cable 12" high above poly carpets to avoid the static electricity that is the reason to use cable risers.  He also maintained that you can't use plastic as a material for the risers, his were all wood.  I bought a bag of 100 wooden shish ka bob skewers, and had a bag of rubber bands.  Tie three skewers together with twisted rubber bands a couple inches below the top of the blunt end, pointy end down, spread into a tripod, instant cable risers for about $2.98 per 33 of them that according to a former audio tweaking expert are better than what you can purchase.  I'd post a pic of I could remember how on this forum, embarrassing.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #22 on: 10 Mar 2024, 10:59 am »
"Tie three skewers together with twisted rubber bands a couple inches below the top of the blunt end, pointy end down, spread into a tripod, instant cable risers for about $2.98 per 33"

Like this?

MttBsh

« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2024, 04:09 pm »
"Tie three skewers together with twisted rubber bands a couple inches below the top of the blunt end, pointy end down, spread into a tripod, instant cable risers for about $2.98 per 33"

Like this?

There’s just one thing that’s missing….the carpet!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2024, 11:29 am »

Like this?

Yes, that's the idea, thanks for posting.  The skewers are much thinner, slightly taller, and have a pointy end, but any dowel would work.  I do remember seeing these some years ago and vaguely remember thinking hey, I could make those myself.  It was only years later in the grocery store seeing a package of the skewers that inspiration came to fruition.  I use them in both the 2.0 "home theater" and the stereo room.  I've never been convinced that any cable risers actually work to improve sound quality.  It's never been more than an ephemeral feeling that yeah, maybe it's a little cleaner, nothing concrete like with the actual cables used.  So spending virtually nothing is very attractive for this tweak.