Too Many Tubes?

rockadanny

Re: Too Many Tubes?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2019, 10:27 pm »
I used to be askeered of tubes (expense, upkeep, safety) but I loved the sound so I took a minimalist approach - purposely selected gear which had the fewest number of tubes I could get (sound preference, budget) totaling ONLY 12 for my entire system:
CD player: 1
Preamp: 3 (two lines, one rectifier)
Power amps (mono-blocks): 8 (two power, one input, one driver per block)

mreeter

« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2019, 10:58 pm »
Too amany Tubes? Never :D

20 total in my set-up.

who?me?

« Reply #22 on: 11 Dec 2019, 10:38 pm »
And really,
we all know that tubes are the best way to heat your home! :wink:

Orientexpedite

« Reply #23 on: 23 Dec 2019, 09:12 pm »

Never too many tubes: 17 tubes to drive a pair of Stax headphones, including 3 rectifiers, 2 regulators, 3 gain stages, 12AU7, 12AX7 (using 5751's), EL34.

The sound of this amp is 90% in the tubes, 5% in Japanese paper-in-oil coupling caps and some custom transformers, 5% in some other bits:)

It's amazing how tubes can transform recordings into a unforgettable performance, even in relatively simple amplification designs!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2019, 12:43 am »
Very nice round chassis, congratulations :thumb:

sebrof

« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2019, 01:21 am »

Never too many tubes: 17 tubes to drive a pair of Stax headphones, including 3 rectifiers, 2 regulators, 3 gain stages, 12AU7, 12AX7 (using 5751's), EL34.

... even in relatively simple amplification designs!

Beautiful amp. What's the brand?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "relatively simple" but I'm pretty sure you don't mean that amp :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2019, 08:53 am »
It is the Stax Megatron headphone amplifier. I had never see so far a three gain stages tube amp, its not funny repair this amp.
I would like to see a underside photo.

Orientexpedite

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2019, 01:23 pm »

The coupling caps are accessible for rolling.  This version runs at 500V.  Two pairs of EL34 for OTL output.  Two pairs of EL34 as CCS. One transformer for filaments, one transformer for voltage rails, two transformers as power supply chokes.

No transistors in the signal path.  One transistor step downs the voltage from 500V to 300V for the first two gain stages.  The other transistor helps set operating voltage for the EL34's.

Orientexpedite

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2019, 01:25 pm »
Thank you for your kind comments.

The amp is actually a very good design for a learner.  The operating voltages are very high, however, so it's best to work with a partner or keep one hand in the pocket:)

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2019, 03:43 pm »
You guys are just listing the tubes "in" your units... how many sets, pairs sitting on the shelf for rolling. This is where it gets confusing without good records. Dates when used, hours, what unit they were in. Even exact model numbers when they're stored in the white boxes.  :dunno:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2019, 11:28 pm »

The coupling caps are accessible for rolling.  This version runs at 500V.  Two pairs of EL34 for OTL output.  Two pairs of EL34 as CCS. One transformer for filaments, one transformer for voltage rails, two transformers as power supply chokes.

No transistors in the signal path.  One transistor step downs the voltage from 500V to 300V for the first two gain stages.  The other transistor helps set operating voltage for the EL34's.
Gracias

Unison845

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jun 2020, 03:47 pm »
Stax Headphones Amp with different approach: Tube rectifier, 2 triode Stages, 845 DHT transformer coupled, No Signal
Capacitor.

Tested with a battery of Stax Vintage to Recent Headphones