Candella tube rolling

AzTunes

Candella tube rolling
« on: 18 May 2020, 11:22 pm »
Hi all,
Curious if anyone has done any tube rolling in their Candella. I’ve swapped the original JJ’s with some Northern Electrics. The N/E’s are dead quite in my system and I’ve noted significant changes in the midrange on my system. I’d love the hear some Telefunkens, NOS tubes are pricey though. Any input would be appreciated.

GentleBender

Re: Candella tube rolling
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2020, 10:20 am »
I’m in the same boat. Want to learn from others as to what tubes have been the best In the Candela. Of course it will depend on ears, components and room acoustics, but just a list of some that have you have tried and loved. I have a recently acquired Candela and would like to do a little tube rolling.

AlTran

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2020, 05:41 pm »
Ask me, Klaus received some of the best of the best tubes in his Candela for all the audio shows.

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2020, 01:58 am »
Hi all,
Curious if anyone has done any tube rolling in their Candella. I’ve swapped the original JJ’s with some Northern Electrics. The N/E’s are dead quite in my system and I’ve noted significant changes in the midrange on my system. I’d love the hear some Telefunkens, NOS tubes are pricey though. Any input would be appreciated.
[/quote

I've never heard a JJ tube, especially a signal tube, that I ever liked.  Yes...NOS tubes are expensive but call Vintage Tube Services.  They will let you try them out and exchange for something else.  You will get so much lost music back when you get a new set of tubes.
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2020, 10:08 pm by geerock »

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2020, 04:42 am »
The JJ's are middle of the road,  and very good as a standard starting point,  especially considering how little we charge for the Candela....however,  other than my true vintage tubes,  I'm really,  really hot for the Northern Electric....matched pair is still only around $ 100.,  and they kick ass...hard to describe,   but somewhat a modern,  more dynamic twist of a stellar sound staging / mids  classic......just awesome.