another recent convert

happyrabbit

another recent convert
« on: 20 Sep 2013, 04:07 pm »
I recently discover SET amps so I figured it was time to experience Single Driver Speakers.  I finally crossed the 100hr mark yesterday.  My setup will require a sub but otherwise the sound is most excellent.  My GMA speakers are 'colored' compared to the Omega 3XRS.  Interesting discovery for me.   I found moving the speakers forward and inward just a bit allowed them to blossom  :green:   The music just 'floats in the space..'

Dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: another recent convert
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:35 pm »
Hello Dwight,

Congratulations on the Super 3XRS's.  Great choice, and your other gear looks pretty nice too.
I have the same speakers as you and drive them with a couple of watts of SET power and have no need for a sub, not to mention the imaging is insane. 
Play around before buying a sub.  I personally like to keep things as minimal as possible in my systems, and it has paid off handsomely in sound quality and purity.

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm »
Hi happyrabbit,

Great news and many thanks for your post regarding the 3 XRS's. Your setup is excellent and the Triode Labs amps I hear are great match too.

I would listen for a while and make a call on the sub. I would also be very happy to build one for you and easy to match up the finish as well.

Thanks again,
Louis

beowulf

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2013, 07:53 pm »
Those speakers are real beauties ... I'm digging the 2 tone matt black and wood finish!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2013, 08:35 pm »
Is that Zebra wood?  Looks so cool.

I made a lamp in HS wood shop class out of Zebra wood (tough but would would micro splinter, with large grain).  Took forever to sand.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:57 pm »
Hi beowulf,

Thanks and happy you like the look. It started as a design study of how a horizontal grain pattern would look on a panel that is not deep. I have tried the same look with deep cabinets, but I kind of like it better with the Narrow side panels like on these Super 3 XRS's.

I used a new material for it and I call it EKO spalted surf. The material is a laminate that has a spalted look and the surf part is because the material has a wavy feel to the touch. It's  textured as well. The black offsets it very well.

Hi JLM,

Thanks and not Zebrawood although I use Zebrawood a lot. It's one of my favorites. It's hard to work though and you will get splinters with it. It's tough stuff too. The worst part is when you machine it. It really smells bad.

Thanks,
Louis