BDP-2 Digital Player

XMAN

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1820 on: 13 Feb 2017, 01:16 am »
Thanks. That's actually helpful as I've been using the portable WD Passports for several years and they've gotten better at each stage. I haven't tried SSDs on the BDP, but have compared flash drives to the WD. This is the summation I have in my mind as of now:

Portable Hard drives - Massive storage. Perhaps not the best sounding storage (in comparison to flash so far). Best value.

SSD - Massive storage. Expensive. Better than hard drives, but electrically noisy?

Flash Drives - Best sound? Small storage and thus need for multiple drives. Expensive (per GB).

i will have to do some comparisons between SSD and flash.  I haven't noticed any electrical noise in the SSD's that i have tried.

zoom25

« Reply #1821 on: 13 Feb 2017, 02:45 am »
i will have to do some comparisons between SSD and flash.  I haven't noticed any electrical noise in the SSD's that i have tried.

I think Krutsch found the SSD a bit noisy in comparison to his flash drives. I wouldn't mind hearing your take on it when you get a chance.

Hoiman

« Reply #1822 on: 13 Feb 2017, 06:09 am »
1.  Yes you can select a specific drive and play from it.

What I mean is selecting the whole drive and then playing all the 10,000 songs that 're on it. That 's what I can not manage.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1823 on: 13 Feb 2017, 10:40 am »
What I mean is selecting the whole drive and then playing all the 10,000 songs that 're on it. That 's what I can not manage.

I have never tried that - 10,000 songs you would be there for a year or more - not really the intent of the BDP.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #1824 on: 13 Feb 2017, 01:02 pm »
I have never tried that - 10,000 songs you would be there for a year or more - not really the intent of the BDP.

No but if you have 10,000 songs and you can play them all and you use shuffle, then when you hear a song you don't want to listen to, you can skip it and go to the next song. I have a Apple Ipod that shuffles up all my 14,000 songs and so I hear a lot of songs I never thought about to listen.
You don't have to listen at once but when I'm working at home and want to listen to music I don't want to hear the same songs all the time so shuffle play on the entire collection is very handy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1825 on: 13 Feb 2017, 01:16 pm »
No but if you have 10,000 songs and you can play them all and you use shuffle, then when you hear a song you don't want to listen to, you can skip it and go to the next song. I have a Apple Ipod that shuffles up all my 14,000 songs and so I hear a lot of songs I never thought about to listen.
You don't have to listen at once but when I'm working at home and want to listen to music I don't want to hear the same songs all the time so shuffle play on the entire collection is very handy.

I do not think the BDP is for you then as I do not think it will perform that function.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #1826 on: 13 Feb 2017, 01:56 pm »
I do not think the BDP is for you then as I do not think it will perform that function.

Well gladly it does a lot more, so only one thing missing doesn't weight against the lot of advantages this BDP-2 has ;-)

I think this is a wonderfull device and the sound it produce with a BDA-3 is outstanding.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1827 on: 13 Feb 2017, 03:30 pm »
Well gladly it does a lot more, so only one thing missing doesn't weight against the lot of advantages this BDP-2 has ;-)

I think this is a wonderfull device and the sound it produce with a BDA-3 is outstanding.

You'll need to increase the current playlist limit to match your library, turn random and consume on.  If you want the playlist to survive reboots you can go into MPD settings and turn on "remember mpd state", i'm not sure how well this feature works as i don't use it regularly; otherwise you can leave the BDP on.

Cheers,
Chris

Hoiman

« Reply #1828 on: 14 Feb 2017, 10:01 am »
I set the playlist to 9999 and I could choose 9999 files but the browser didn't react anymore in mediaplayer mode. In Dashboard mode I was able to use the next and previous buttons. Also the Now Playing list didn't refresh, but the music continued to play.

Hoiman

« Reply #1829 on: 14 Feb 2017, 10:03 am »
Also this one has a flyer with it. On this flyer they said that there is a future upgrade coming: extra USB 3.0 ports. From when is this possible and what will the extra cost be?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1830 on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:05 am »
Also this one has a flyer with it. On this flyer they said that there is a future upgrade coming: extra USB 3.0 ports. From when is this possible and what will the extra cost be?

Hi

That was something we were thinking about but we were not able to implement it.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1831 on: 14 Feb 2017, 08:32 pm »
I set the playlist to 9999 and I could choose 9999 files but the browser didn't react anymore in mediaplayer mode. In Dashboard mode I was able to use the next and previous buttons. Also the Now Playing list didn't refresh, but the music continued to play.

which version of the firmware do you have installed? my BDP-2 running S2.32 2017-02-13 loaded the entire library of 28000 songs, but it did take a few minutes before the playlist loaded and the playlist is choppy; but otherwise functional.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1832 on: 14 Feb 2017, 09:33 pm »
which version of the firmware do you have installed? my BDP-2 running S2.32 2017-02-13 loaded the entire library of 28000 songs, but it did take a few minutes before the playlist loaded and the playlist is choppy; but otherwise functional.

What do you mean by choppy? Were there dropouts on playback?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1833 on: 15 Feb 2017, 01:37 am »
What do you mean by choppy? Were there dropouts on playback?

Scrolling the current playlist, playback was fine but I only listened to like three songs before clearing the playlist, which also took a bit

Hoiman

« Reply #1834 on: 15 Feb 2017, 11:23 am »
which version of the firmware do you have installed?
I don't know, it was a loaner. I order one my self now, so I can play with this stuff when I have it, I don't know how long it takes before I have it.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 06:55 am by Hoiman »

XMAN

« Reply #1835 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:02 am »
I have an internal SSD drive installed and I'm finding the download speed to be a max of 11MB/s when transferring from my desk top and about half that when transferring from an external ssd plugged into the BDP 2 is this normal or do i have a setting screwed up somewhere?

Barry in Calgary

BDP-2 Digital Player on Top of Nordost Sort Kones
« Reply #1836 on: 1 Mar 2017, 03:49 am »
Hi

I went to a Nordost demo at my local Nordost Dealer in Calgary, Absolute Audio.  It was extremely entertaining and impressive. While there I put my name in a draw to win 3 Brass and Ceramic Sort Kones, and I won the door prize.

So after a day or so sitting on my shelf (unused) I placed the 3 under my BDP2, really because it was really easy to do so.  Two on the left side and one on the right side forming more or less a triangle.  I based this configuration on trying to place one under a transformer which is on the front left of the unit. 

Now the BDP2 is already sitting on the top shelf of a SolidTech Rack of Silence (Shades of "Get Smart"), and placed on top of this is a relatively modest but effective audio shelf supported by SolidTech anti-vibration devices (using rubber O rings to provide isolation, I prefer rubber rings to springs).  On top of the BDP2 sits an HRS plate, also to control vibration. So I thought I had vibration under control. But the Kones don't handle external vibration but attempt to reduce internal resonance.

The addition of these 3 Sort Kones improved the music coming out of the BDP2 unbelievably. Depth increased, bass improved, more transparent background etc (you get the idea).  It was one of the biggest improvements I've heard since initially putting the BDP2 in my system.  It's not an exaggeration to say it sounded like another far more costly player and DAC.

So if you have the opportunity to demo these things under a BDP2, do it!! You wont regret it.  Not sure how other cones might fair (like BDR cones for example), but the Sort Kones work great.  In any event it seems that the BDP2 performance can be improved by proper resonance control - something to consider anyway.

Regards
Barry

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1837 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:35 am »
^ Not clear why the BDP-2 would have any internal resonances -- there are no moving parts. Must be the external environment -- are your speakers close to your rack? Sound waves/standing waves may cause the rack to display some mechanical instabilities/anomalies.

Krutsch

« Reply #1838 on: 1 Mar 2017, 03:49 pm »
^ Not clear why the BDP-2 would have any internal resonances -- there are no moving parts. Must be the external environment -- are your speakers close to your rack? Sound waves/standing waves may cause the rack to display some mechanical instabilities/anomalies.

The theory goes something like this:

...most harmful mechanical energy doesn’t enter the equipment from outside; it’s generated internally by the audio circuits and their power supplies. Transformers, power supply capacitors, even the active devices themselves, all vibrate as they operate – and those vibrations occur right where the fragile signal is, creating timing errors that smear and distort the music.

Not advocating, but just repeating the marketing message.

See: http://www.nordost.com/sort-systems/sort-kone.php

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1839 on: 1 Mar 2017, 03:59 pm »
The theory goes something like this:

Not advocating, but just repeating the marketing message.

See: http://www.nordost.com/sort-systems/sort-kone.php

Interesting. Decent dampening of power transformers should eliminate most of the "resonances". The remaining probably is inaudible to 98% of humans.

Nordost's cables are some of the most over-hyped and over-priced snake oil Ive ever encountered. imo.